Saturday, April 24, 2021

New to me!




Hi there!

Am I the only one who loves gizmos?  You know, a better mousetrap.  


Over time, unpleasant experiences have quelled my impulse purchases (well most of them, anyway).  But this time, I've a hunch I'm into something good.


Remember my pillows dilemma?  (And I thought I was the only one. Ha!)

One of my friends who suffers from chronic back pain has been raving about something called an 'entire comfort' pillow.  

What's a buddy to do?  I wasted no time hitting the 'Buy Now!' button.


Does this look like something you'd use?     

And now we wait.....


🌷


So, I've a question for y'all:
Do you wash your lettuce?  How in the heck do you dry it?

I don't recall this being a big deal until all that business about Romaine.

Anyway.  I'd washed the leaves and lay them out to dry.  Impatient, I'd use wads and wads of paper towels or a clean kitchen towel - which then needed laundered.

Better to spend a few cents more and buy Green Giant's triple pre-washed variety.

Until,
Gag!

I consulted Google, who sourced someone's Italian grandmother.
In brief,

"Spread greens out out on a clean kitchen towel in one single layer.  Roll them up in the towel the long way (hot dog v. hamburger). Fold the rolled-up towel end-to-end with the seam on the inside, so that you're holding both of the towel ends in one hand.

Stand on your patio, balcony and whip the towel forward and around over your head.  Don't let go of the towel!"


Ready for this?  Two nights later I was watching Shark Tank, when I saw a young lady pitching her new invention, the "Salad Sling."  Same concept!

She didn't get a deal, but I found her invention out on Grommet.com.

I can't help but entertain visions of me whipping this like David v. Goliath!

(No, I've never out-grown the joy of playing with my food.)


🌷


Random thought ...



Have yourself a splendid Sunday!

Hugs, Myra



  





   

32 comments:

  1. I use a salad spinner to dry lettuce. Put it in the container, close the top, and spin. The moisture flings out onto the walls of the container.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have a salad spinner but the lettuce I buy at Publix is washed and ready to eat. I do check it but have never been disappointed. Let us know how the slinger works for you. Seems like it would be a lot more fun. Let us know how the pillow works too! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the look of that entire comfort pillow! My bed is covered with a ridiculous amount of pillows, they must be surrounding me completely and my husband is the same way. It's actually comical to see how many pillows we have on our bed!

    One tip - don't wash lettuce until you are ready to use it, and then just wash the portion you are using and keep the rest tightly wrapped in foil. Washed lettuce goes bad so fast in the fridge. No tips for drying it really, I just drain on a paper towel.

    From your random thought I suppose you are having a nice weekend. I hope it continues :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great tip! I never heard of using foil, but will be doing that for sure.

      Delete
  4. The entire comfort pillow looks like a winner. Never thought of such a thing.
    we use mostly iceberg lettuce and I never wash it, I think Sherry does on occasion.

    I had a good day today also, and I hoe for the same tomorrow..

    Love you guys there.
    Sherry & jack here in NC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, either! Guess that's why these inventors are wealthy and I'm not. LOL.

      Delete
  5. Let us know about the comfort pillow; I'd be curious if it really is comfortable :)

    I do wash my iceberg lettuce. I rinse it (is that the same as washing it) and let it sit in the colander in the sink for a few hours. Seems to work effectively. If I'm making a Cesar salad with romaine I'll wash that and wrap it in a paper towel to dry it off.

    I was so enamored with the InstaPot. Just had to have one and it sits in a box for me to sell, not having used it once, so I guess I do like those gizmos at times :)

    Cute cartoon :)

    Have a joyous Sunday!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny girl! My IP sat in its box several months, and now it turned out to be my favorite appliance.

      Delete
  6. If we buy lettuce it's the pre-washed. I love the cartoon. I'd say thanks and hopefully request a potful more of good days. Things are going well right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. About the mousetrap ... we use an old style trap and tell the mice mom-in-law is coming. They just throw themselves on the mouse trap.

    As for lettuce ... I dry them in the washing machine spin cycle 5000 revolutions per minute. My wife is not pleased with my ingenuity.

    I like the pillow. I'd prefer it if they added a monster head to it and had it in monster colours, or like a wild tiger, or lion, or gorilla or ...

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may be onto something, Victor. Imagine all the sales to children young AND old(er).

      Delete
  8. google salad spinner, walmart ad amazon. I know they have them because I have seen ads for the in the past on TV... i think they cost about 20 dollars. I just rinse and hang over sink and shake it. I buy iceburg already shredded for salad because bob has trouble eating the other, has to be small pieces. can't wait to hear how the pillow chair works. I know i could not sleep with it because I get to hot, even in winter. but i would like to have it to prop up in bed to read. how long do we have to wait to find out your review?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They said est. 20 day delivery. I think everything's delayed on account of that freighter that got sideways in the Suez.

      Delete
  9. Ha Ha. I enjoyed your post, but I also enjoyed all the comments above almost as much!! As for the PILLOW, well, that one looks a bit like an octopus or something, but if it works, great! I do use several pillows and a soft teddy bear to cuddle up to, along with my hubby. But that big pillow looks like it would be a bit too much for me, and possibly too HOT. How do you throw that thing on the floor when you are having a hot flash? Anyway, let me know how it works when you get it. Now, as for lettuce...I wash my iceberg lettuce, which is the kind I prefer. I know all the stories about iceberg not having any nutritional value, blah, blah, blah...but if the other kind goes bad or limp or whatever, then I won't eat it and so it does me no good in the garbage. I break open the head of lettuce in a colander, and rinse it thoroughly in cold water, and then let drain. If I need it immediately, I blot the pieces I need with a paper towel. The rest I will store in a large tupperware bowl, with a folded piece of paper towel on top of the lettuce, and then turn the bowl (with lid on) upside down in my refrigerator. That way any remaining water drains into the paper towel in the top of the bowl and it helps keep the lettuce crisp and fresh. Oh, I do core my lettuce first too, with one of those tupperware lettuce corers (plastic). Don't use a metal knife to core, or it will turn the lettuce red. We also use a lot of bagged fresh spinach with our lettuce for salads...that is pre-washed, so no need to wash. That's where the vitamins and nutrition come from. The lettuce is just for the crisp texture that makes a salad more refreshing. So there you have it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! Have a beautiful Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha on pitching the octopus. That would so be me, and worried it might hit one of the girls. Because Tom prefers iceburg lettuce I'm going to try your M.O. Thanks!

      Delete
  10. Personally, I couldn't manage that all-body pillow, Myra, but if it works for you? Go for it! I'm actually sleeping great with a My Pillow for my head. And I so love the cartoon you closed with. That's how I feel so many days.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the inventor of MyPillow and what he stands for! Maybe I should consider supporting his product.

      Delete
  11. That's way too much pillow for me.
    I do my iceberg lettuce the same way
    Pamela does hers.
    Have a nice Sunday!

    https://gloriasretiredlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I need a salad spinner. Like you I use lots of paper towels to dry mine, but if it says preached, I don[t wash again. I trust them when they say it's clean. own try to buy the pressashed variety. I like the pillow I have just fine so don't need a new one, but I hope this works well for you. Glad it's all good there, it's very good here too. Enjoy your day to the fullest !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ma! Please let us know if you get that spinner and how you like it.

      Delete
  13. I had a salad spinner but it took up too much room and it didn't make the move to this house 7 years ago. I do wash my lettuce and spread out a clean kitchen towel on the counter and then I put paper towels on top of that and just let it "drain" -- I'm going to try the Italian Grandmother Method!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please, let me know how that works for you! We should to make an upbeat song list to accompany our spins. 😁

      Delete
  14. I don't think I would use that pillow. I sleep on my stomach. My husband usually washes the romaine. He pulls off a few leaves that he won't use, washes the stalk and then just dries it a paper towel. He doesn't do individual leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Okay, if you sling your salad, you must do a video and post it for us to watch. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Family Circus...always a favorite of mine. Today not much is sacred. So I am stuck on the oldies. We have all the old movie collectiosn like Perry Mason TV series and movies, Last Man Standing with Tim Allen, The Waltons and more. I am at a point I am so happy being home and not being annoyed by the things of social media. We are waiting for rain. As long as the snow goes away I will be happy. THose salad contraptions are always so appealing. I remember something called the salad spinner. I love the gadgets too. While others are whittling away at their things, I add more. I am a happy camper. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, my gosh. You are so funny! I laughed so hard at the Italian solution to drying lettuce. Years ago I invested in a salad spinner. Love it. A real staple for me and another item you can hit the purchase button for. LOL. The pillow is similar to a design my daughter purchased for Sookie after her spine surgery two years ago. It works.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!