But first!
A shout-out to the person who invented wrapping paper with 'cheat lines' on the back!
Unlike my mother's pretty giftwrap, my cuts were all over the place ..... prompting her to get the yardstick and draw pencil lines for me to follow. The results were still a bit homely, but I blame it on being a southpaw. (LOL)
* * *
Obviously, I'm not the only soul who prays for an end to the pandemic. Vacant children's cancer wards and animal shelters. too. Slimmer thighs! How about a lump of coal to those who thrust the 'new blogger' on our unsuspecting selves?
Oh, you can keep your diamonds and sparkly doo-dads, designer handbags and perfumes. With apologies to David Foster, here's my grown-up Christmas list.
To whom it may concern.
If you don't mind, I'd really appreciate getting ...
Rubber bands.
Well sure, I can buy my own.
But no. I remember when they seemingly bred overnight around our doorknobs. So many tossed in the trash, just for the sin of being too populous. I can't bring myself to actually pay for them!
A pen that doesn't bleed and smear.
All you right-handed folks can't comprehend the angst that occurs when trying to pen holiday greetings -- that wind up looking like they're written by Pig Pen.
Someone to explain -- in an easy-to-understand manner -- the correct use of 'that' or 'which.'
(I just threw this in after agonizing how to write the paragraph above.)
A can of Durkee french-fried onions.
While I resisted picking off the top of DIL's Thanksgiving casserole, I've been thinking of those bits of deliciousness ever since.
Oh, and if it's not too much trouble?
Please let all the remaining Christmas trees get adopted in time for Christmas Day.
Ever since I was a kid and would see the sad left-overs leaning against 7/11's storefront, I'd cry a little inside.
Most of all, please keep all my bloggy friends and their loved ones safe. I hope this next year brings unexpected blessings ... and maybe (just maybe!) an opportunity to meet face-to-face.
Thank you for listening.
Your friend,
Myra



Just checked with an English teacher. This means he teaches English, rather than his nationality being English; which in effect it is. So he is an English teacher who is English.
ReplyDeleteAs I was saying before I interrupted myself. I checked and your sentence above is correct. You used "that" which is correct. Either "that" or "which" will do in most cases. However, if "which" can be substituted with "that" you need to put a comma (,) in front of "which".
Personally, I ignore grammar and write as I please. I'll never forget the day when my teacher told me, "your grammar stinks"! Which was unfair since my grandma always smelled of lavender. I told my dad and he asked me which grandma the teacher was referring to because his mom smelled good.
Wishing for rubber bands for Christmas is stretching it a bit. I used to make my own by cutting the inner tube of a bicycle tire. Inventive, don't you think?
Wishing you, and your family, and all your readers a blessed Christmas full of joy, hope and trust in God.
God bless.
Gosh, this is the fastest one of my wishes has come true. Thanks! You wouldn't believe how hard I worked to find one stinking rubber band in this house. Not even the 'junk drawer' ... and they used to be infamous breeding grounds.
DeleteWhen I have nothing better to do, (rarely), I search here: https://www.grammar-monster.com/
DeleteOr better still, have a Guinness.
When I run out of rubber bands I use calamari rings. Just as chewy as rubber bands. Check them out!
Keep smiling. God bless.
Thanks for the tips! Actually, I love calamari.
DeleteOh, what a wonderful list, prayer, or whatever it is! I am so with you on that shout out. Pure genius to print those little lines! I haven't thought about rubber bands (or gumbands as we call them here) on the doorknob in years, but golly, they did used to be piled up on everyone's doorknobs! As for grammar rules...get yourself an AP Stylebook. I still have mine from college, though I should get an updated one. It clearly and simply spells out the rules for all those tricky things. Most useful book I've ever had! Oh, those french-fried onions.... Yes, the sad, unloved trees are sort of depressing. Loved this post, my friend. You've got a wonderful sense of humor and a real talent for expressing it. Have a wonderful and blessed Christmas!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteThank you, Stacy! I've never heard of the AP Stylebook -- so I'm more than a little surprised at having done well in English back in the day. I'll definitely be looking for one of my own!
DeleteYour Christmas list gave me smiles. I am hoping Santa brings you lots of rubber bands and a can or two of your favorite onion rings, and lots more good things. Merry Christmas.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Terra. Merry Christmas to you!
DeleteOh, another southpaw!!! I didn't know that about you! Oh my! I blame everything I can't do right on being a lefty. And I was also looking for rubber bands the other day and could only find three. They are some I saved from fresh broccoli I think. I used them to fasten little matchbox cars to a flatbed train car on our train that is under the tree so they wouldn't roll off. I know you really wanted to know that! LOL. I agree with the pens that don't smear. Esp. in Christmas cards. My handwriting has become so bad since I started using a computer, and I am embarrassed to write notes in a card anymore, but it is so impersonal to type everything. LOL. I enjoyed your grown up Christmas list. It is very down to earth and practical. Merry Christmas, Myra! I hope you get everything you want for Christmas, and more! God bless you dear friend.
ReplyDeleteClever trick! Thank you so much for your sweet wishes. May God bless you and your family, too.
DeleteSWEET list lady As always I enjoyed the read. As always enjoy the picture from 20 years ago. ;-). Funny about the rubber bands. Awhile back I bought a bag for the house and the coach, and at times still cannot find one.
ReplyDeleteVictor flips us out. Love the dude's comments. I laughed because I have made a few rubber bands from inner tubes. (Victor's Grammar stinks!) LOL
Sherry try's to keep me straight in grammar, a tough job.
Merry Christmas time...
Sherry & jack in a cool Florida!
Me, too! Especially lately. I've GOT to double check what I've written before jumping on that 'publish' key.
DeleteI loved your list, Myra!! Wishing you and yours a safe, healthy, and very Merry Christmas and all of us a much happier and healthier new year! xo
ReplyDeleteAmen! Like the child exclaimed, "God bless us, everyone."
DeleteThe only rubber bands I can find come from bunched vegetables...thick broccoli ones and tiny green onion ones. Heaven help me if I need something in between those sizes.
ReplyDeleteFor some reason I don't have as much of a problem with ink smears lately. Maybe it's the pens I'm using?
If I read your last sentences correctly, I'm guessing you're right-handed? Wish I'd thought to visit our grocer's produce section!
DeleteOur newspaper comes folded with a rubber band around it. We are flooded with rubber bands.
ReplyDeleteMerry Christmas, dear heart.
Oh ya, I remember back in the day when I still subscribed. Merry Christmas, Susan!
DeleteI too feel sad for the "unwanted" Christmas trees. I agree, I too like the "cheat lines" on the wrapping paper. Not that I wrapped any gifts this year! Great list and Merry Christmas!
ReplyDeletebetty
Thanks, Betty! Merry Christmas!
DeleteWhat a wonderful list, Myra. Praying for all my blogging friends, too, and hoping for better times in 2021! And if you need rubber bands, I'd be more than happy to send some of ours to you - lol!
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
Your prayers are certainly cherished!
DeleteLOL on the offer ... seems it's always feast or famine.
Love this list!! When the pandemic is over we should meet in the middle for lunch one day! I've always thought it would be fun to meet a fellow blogger in person!
ReplyDeleteI'd love that, Lisa! Over the years I've been fortunate to meet 5-6 bloggers ... all wonderful gals.
DeleteLove your grown up Christmas list. Cute ideas . I save my rubber bands too. Wish you a safe and happy holiday!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Ma! Blessings!
DeleteI love your list, it made me smile. Wishing you and your family a very blessed Christmas Myra. Big holiday hugs!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Martha! Blessings!
DeleteNo worry about forlorn Christmas trees this year. By Tuesday there were handfuls left at stands. First time ever. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful...wishing you and yours a belated Merry Christmas.
ReplyDeleteNow, that's the best Christmas list ever. I'm with ya on the no fancy jewelry and the like. Heck, if you get enough rubber bands, you can make your own... well, at least a bracelet...
ReplyDeleteTake care, and Happy New Year!
I am trying to remebmer what I wroteon this one, about the paper being straight cut, I thought they were supposed to be jagged..
ReplyDeleteI love the lined wrapping paper. You have to have surgical scissors to do a straight cut but you could lose a finger or worse! I love the Santa photo. I have two from my childhood. LOve the old photos. Take care HUGS
ReplyDelete