Sunday, November 29, 2020

The Week that Was

 


Before we begin a new week, maybe it's a good idea to recap my old?  Rewinding!


Before starting another study, the 'church ladies' decided to do brunch and watch a movie.   

Because the girls had a groomer appointment that morning, I hadn't made up my mind to attend until the 11th hour.  What to do, but grab several boxes of Little Debbie Christmas Tree cakes and a DollarTree platter. 

Thankful, nearly everyone was wearing a mask.  Thankful, too, I could pull up my gaiter to wipe my tears.  (Have you seen Overcomer yet?) Thankful for early Christmas presents Kathy passed out -- adult coloring books and pencils.   'Specially thankful for the jug of egg nog Kristin contributed.  I unashamedly drank two glasses while my stomach did a happy dance.

Conecuh sausage, turkey salad, cheesy grits


Let's see ...
I already mentioned Tom's MRI.  Still waiting, but I've a good feeling.


... Not so much the way I felt Wednesday morning when I reset the thermostat and nothing happened.
Thankful, our service provider had someone out within the hour.  Sad to hear it suffered a stroke, but thankful it didn't happen this week when temps are predicted to plummet.



Ah, Thanksgiving.

Oh, the aroma!

Arriving at the designated hour, son met us at the side door:  "Everyone arrived early. There's a crowd inside."

Thankful to have been invited.  But honestly, it was awkward.


The spread was ah-mazing.
But DIL was, in her own words, overwhelmed ... and cranky.   Having lost their daddy just a few months ago, she thought it a good idea all the siblings come together for their mom.  (Mind you, I don't think she had any help ....)

Having been raised as an only child, I've always been fascinated by the dynamics of a large family.  Pretty sure no-one meant to behave in an exclusionary manner.  After all, they barely know me/us.

Thankful when Troy came to sit and eat with us.
With first-born, down from North Carolina.


It was strangely reminiscent of an early-80's Christmas celebration at my former in-laws.  A multi-generational, jovial crowd.  

Then, someone whispered in my ear. "Look at Troy."  My 12 y/o son had gone to sit in a far corner beside somebody's elderly mother and was leaning into her words.  I later heard how much his company meant to Nellie.

Thankful, Troy and Lois will be coming here in a couple of weeks for his birthday.



Finally!
In honor of the girls looking so cute from the groomer, I'm thankful Tom agreed to sit for holiday selfies.  Oh how we laughed!

'Still hoping to capture something suitable for a Christmas card, but this cracked me up.

Macie:  Grace, did you see this?
Grace:  I'm so screwed........




G'night, sleep tight. Sweet dreams!

Hugs,
Myra









28 comments:

  1. Hey, I thought I was the only one who ever ate Little Debbie Christmas tree cakes. I have some in my kitchen right now.

    I was an only child, too. Just between you and me (*smile*) I've never liked large family gatherings - - but all that food looks fantastic (what a lot of work to prepare!).

    I always love the photos of the two adorable fur balls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right. AND she's still working full-time. My head would've been exploding.

      Delete
  2. Your caption on the photo with your two fur babies absolutely took the Little Debbie Christmas cakes, Myra! I'm glad you felt comfortable enough to get together with family, but we were much more conservative in that regard this time around. Oh, how we need the vaccine and need all this turmoil to be over! Praying for Tom and for you, dear friend.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martha. I hate how this virus is making me paranoid of everyone and every thing. Prayers!

      Delete
  3. Little Debbie... Yum!! Sounds like a different Thanksgiving, but then everything has been different this year. Cute photo and worthy of a Christmas card! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't seen that movie; I'll have to look for it. Seems like you weathered Thanksgiving exceedingly well and I'm hopeful (and sure) you'll both be healthy in the future. Be safe out there!!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope you will; and will let me know how you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  5. That picture of the four of you is priceless. Kaitlin and Torben call their pups "the girls" too. I think it's sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes me want to sing, "Talking 'bout my girls!"

      Delete
  6. Praying for Tom's, and yours, good health. We have so much to be thankful for.

    Best wishes always to you and your whole family. God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. There's always a reason to give thanks.

      Delete
  7. Love the picture!! We had a smaller gathering this year for Thanksgiving. I need to write about it so I don't forget!! Our daughter didn't come home and I was sad but am now glad - she tested positive yesterday. She was around her hubby's extended family on Thursday so a whole bunch of folks have to quarantine for 14 days. She feels so bad that she unknowingly exposed them. So far, she has the symptoms of a bad cold and fatigue. I'm hoping and praying that is all she has.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praying right now for your daughter, Lisa. Please let us know how she's doing!

      Delete
  8. i went through all the photos first before reading, and the last one had me howling with laughter. I love it and i think it would be great for a card. your son is really handsome and so glad he still comes and sits with older people. brahahaha.. sorry had to say that.. i get really cranky when cooking, and that is why I don't have people over, why make myself cranky when i dont have to.. that is a lot of food and preparing all that would have me in a striaght jacket

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do love your Christmas photo. Sounds like you had a wonderful gathering and lots of good food. We definitely missed the large gathering we usually have. Thankfully DS#6 and his family could come. Otherwise it would have only been DD's family and myself. I'll be so glad when this is all over.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you were able to enjoy the brunch and movie. I haven't had any eggnog yet this season but can't wait! Sure looks like there was a ton of food for Thanksgiving. I feel bad for your DIL. I worry that you and Tom were around so many people. Love the last photo, I think it will make a perfect card :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too, hate that so much of the burden falls on my DIL's shoulders. Better I just keep my mouth shut, huh.

      Delete
  11. I love that picture for a Christmas Card! It is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My ladies group hasn't met in so long, I sure am missing those meetings. I am so happy that your group is meeting and having such a good time. I've not seen Overcomer yet, but have heard many good reviews. It's on my 'to watch' list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it might be on Netflix or Amazon Prime. Please let me know how you like it!

      Delete
  13. Sherry's side of our family had many a get together, most of her family never left the area. I enjoyed them. Our family seldom got together. It sounds like it was a great happening. I especially like it when a 'kid' takes time with an older person, that is so REAL.
    Loved the pictures of the family and the girls.
    Sherry & jack sending love your way, glad the whole week was goodl; ('cept the mechanical break down of course),
    'tis cool in Florida, you know that the 40's can be cold down here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for saying that! Yes, I love Troy's thoughtful heart.

      Delete
  14. That picture of your "family" is great. I think you should go for it! And I am glad your son is sensitive to your discomfort and rescued you as he did that dear lady many years ago. That food sure looked good. Did your DIL cook it all? I hope she had help. I can't do all that much cooking and count on my family and friends to bring something to share. I still get cranky, but I get over it when we are all together laughing and making memories. That's what it is all about. Have a blessed Advent/Christmas season. Enjoy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we brought the brisket (not pictured), but I think she did most. Not something I'd be able (or willing) to do!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!