Saturday, February 15, 2020

Weekly Recap (In 3 Part Harmony)




Spoiler alert … 
All's well that ends well! :)



Happy weekend, y'all!

Backing up to Sunday morning …

Thankfully, there was little traffic. So, with time to spare before check-in, I asked if we could pay homage to my favorite restaurant.

Yep,
My love language is food!



*Magic City* Monday
No, I've no idea how Birmingham came to be called that.

The hospital asked us to check in by 8am.
But wow. In our wildest dreams, neither of us could have predicted Tom wouldn't be called back 'til nearly 1:00 … and wouldn't be taken to surgery until going on 4:00!  

Thankfully, Pastor Janet arrived; plus we struck up an impromptu friendship with another couple who'd driven in from Mississippi.  Pretty neat when circumstances bring out the best in some folks.

One of the doctors told us, "Well, maybe you can take comfort in knowing you're not the sickest person here."  (He's got a point!)  Someone said they performed 152 procedures that day!

I wasn't able to see Tom until after 10:00, on account he'd had an adverse reaction to the anesthesia.  I hated like heck to have to pay another night's hotel bill, but there was no way I could have gotten behind the wheel -- particularly given the heavy rains and flooding.

Before being released the next morning, one of his doctors told us, "You started throwing blows and trying to get off the table; it took 7 of us to hold you down."
  
I was all apologetic but he said that sometimes happens. If Tom needs any procedures done in the future we need to forewarn the doctor.

* * *

Ol' 4-eyes

I'm all ying-n-yang on my glasses.
On one hand, I like the took ... but getting becoming used to the lens is the dickens!

Yesterday I went to ask my eye doc double check the prescription. But "Given the number of years you've worn contacts that's to be expected."  (She didn't come out and call me Methuselah, but ...)
Anyway. They said 2-weeks is the norm to become accustomed to 'progressive' glasses.

* * *

We didn't make any plans for Valentine's.  But Tom bought a couple of nice steaks and announced he was feeling well enough to grill.

Then, one of his buddies from the flying club stopped by and suggested we join he and his wife for an early supper.  Now, I've not a spontaneous bone in my body, but it was a really nice evening.


Nearby Front Porch Grill was advertising a Valentine's Day special for two: 24-oz. ribeye, 4 sides, 2 desserts.  A no-frills kind of spot with Formica-like tables and super service … it's one of our favorite spots.


Uncharacteristically, the food was only mediocre, but Leon's wife a delight.  Already, we're making plans to get together again soon.

Not until moving here, can I recall ever knowing any couples we immediately got along with, both the husbands and wives.  Feeling darn blessed!

* * *


In case I've not said so lately,
your making time to visit is always so appreciated!

Stay safe, OK?

Hugs, Myra



PS - Has anyone else noticed the little spell-check feature has disappeared from Blogger?  I'm too disinterested right now in proof-reading, so please excuse any typos!










33 comments:

  1. Glad to see Tom looking so well. Hopefully you will get used to your new glasses soon. I listened to my heartbeat last night for the first time since surgery and it sounded like a new heart. Lol. Take care, jean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just got goosebumps, what you said about listening to your heartbeat! So happy for you, Jean!

      Delete
  2. How good to have a meal out with friends, even if the food is mediocre, the fellowship is fun. It sounds like Tom is doing great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a long time, but yes to the fellowship. Thanks for the thumb's up!

      Delete
  3. Praise the Lord Tom and you are well. Praise Him always. Still praying for both of you.

    Yes, I looked everywhere for the spell-check thing. On the floor, behind the desk, even in the fridge. It's nowhere to be found. Someone replaced it with a little wavy red line under words you spell rong, or rongly, or not korrect.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Praise God from whom all blessings flow" -- we used to sing in elementary school.
      I've not seen any wavy red lines, yet. I'm blaming the glasses.

      Delete
  4. ARGH!!! I am so mad with Blogger over this...I thought it was me, lol. I am happy to know it wasn't.

    Argh on Tom and not getting back there until 1, that was just rude...I suppose he had nothing to eat etc. I understand why etc...I'm just saying.

    Thanks Victor for making me smile. Keeping y'all in prayer. smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! Ya, Tom was hungry, thirsty … not in the greatest of spirits. They wouldn't even let him chew on ice chips.

      Delete
  5. I'm happy that is done and over and Tom does look good! How nice you got to meet new friends and also got to go out to dinner! That long wait had to have been terrible. Thank goodness you had some company to pass the time with. I like your glasses. They do look good on you !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks for saying that! Waiting is the pits, for sure. I about ran the battery out of both my phone and tablet, playing silly games.

      Delete
  6. I did not know blogger had a spell check. later I might look at mine, or not!
    so glad you found a couple you can both like. we don't have anyone we would go out to eat with. way back in 93 we did. they now live in Raleigh.
    that ws quite the trip and stay in Magic City, so glad it all went well if LONG. you are right, if it ends well that is GOOD.
    I like the glasses and hope it doesn't take 2 weeks to adjust. Now the final question.
    What the heck is that food at your favorite restaurant that looks like the Statue of Liberty has been crispy fried?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bahahaha … that's herb-crusted salmon on a bed of red-jacket potatoes w/ asparagus. BTW, my spell-check used to sit at the top of the menu bar on the far right.

      Delete
  7. I'm glad your story had a happy ending, but MAN! That was a looooong wait! Smarticus had surgery this week, too. We had to be at the hospital in downtown Atlanta at 5:30 AM, and his procedure was scheduled for 7:30. Just as they were prepping him to go, his surgery got pushed back for an emergency. I don't know how the poor soul who was rushed to the E.R. from ICU fared, but my fella didn't go to the E.R. for another four hours. At least, we were comfortable in a private room until his time finally came. And like you, ours was a happy ending. The surgery went well. Unfortunately, the cancer and chemo have made his diabetes much worse, so we're trying to get a handle on that now... and then he'll be starting a different kind of chemo in a couple of weeks. (But we're still optimistic.)

    Take care, kiddo. I hope you have a super weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank God! Ya, I guess one can't hold a hand up and say, "Wait a minute, I had a reservation." Keeping you both in prayer until every little fire can be put out.

      Delete
  8. I'm so glad that things went well for Tom and you. I never heard of the reaction Tom had from the anesthesia - that's strange. On several occasions I've stopped breathing during anesthesia.

    So far as I know, my blogger spell-check is still working. Heaven knows I need it....

    I like the look of your new glasses - and that Valentine cupcake looks tempting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stopped breathing? Now THAT's scary. I asked the doc if Tom was allergic but he said that's unlikely: "Sometimes these things just happen."

      Delete
  9. I haven't heard any reaction like Tom had either. Glad it is over. Glad you are home. Glad it went well. I know what you mean about being spontaneous, but good you went. I am going to have to check blogger spell check - - I didn't realize that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Smiles* I'm going with the theory, the spell-check became offended because 9 out of 10 times they'd make a suggestion I'd hit the 'ignore' button. (I suspect it's a first cousin to auto-correct.)

      Delete
  10. Tom looks great! Thankful the surgery went well and he's in the recuperating mode and seems to be recuperating well! Glad you guys had that dinner out with your friends even if the food wasn't up to par. Interesting reaction to the anesthesia Tom had, but so true to mention it to any future doctors (and hopefully there won't be any future surgeries) down the line. I like your look in your glasses. I'll have to ask son how it was to adjust from contacts to glasses. He wore contacts for about 16 years and over the last year has gone to just glasses (I think its because the chef where he works wears glasses as well as one of the other chefs there, so he's modeling them :)

    I'll have to go and see about blogger and spell check. I wasn't sure they had one????

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betty! I think that's great about your son emulating his bosses. Unless, it's a food safety thing? Please let me know!

      Delete
  11. I am so glad Tom is doing so well! Hooray! Nice that you have new friends with an immediate bond. I love your glasses and your hair! You look fabulous - seriously! I love my progressives and have had them for years. You will adjust soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray, indeed! Thanks for your encouragement, Terri.

      Delete
  12. Thanks be to God that Tom pulled through so well!!! I know those glasses will take some getting used to, but they are so cute on you, Myra. And what a blessing it is to meet other couples with whom you hit it off. Enjoy your week, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone's prayers were certainly felt. Thank you again, my friend!

      Delete
  13. I do like the spoiler photo. And Yep I have known some military guys with Tom's reaction, and yep I am sure he is not the first. ;-).
    I had to click that restaurant and read out loud as sherry looked over: There is no such thing as too much chocolate. I heard a firm amen from my sweets.
    Glad Tom is up to it all inc. Valentines. Gotta go the lights went out saying head to church.
    Love ya,
    Sherry & jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know! I'll have to tell Tom when he wakes up. I hope y'all enjoyed a beautiful day. (Hi, Sherry!)

      Delete
  14. Good that all went well eventually. How funny that he tried to climb off the table.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad that the story had a happy ending. Each time I get a new pair of progressive lens glasses I have to go through the learning curve again, but in my experience it only takes a couple of days for my eyes and brain to adjust.

    I use the Firefox browser, which has its own spell check, and had no idea that Blogger (at one point anyway) provided one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed on the "Help and Feedback" section of Blogger there's several folks grumbling about the sudden disappearance of the spell check.

      Delete
  16. I've been off the grid. What did Tom have done? Hope all is well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for asking! He's had some cardio challenges for a while, but this was a 2nd cath, a TEE and stent. Being treated for HCM and stenosis … but we're in good hands (UAB).

      Delete
  17. How was that striped icing done? Wow effect!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!