Welcome to Tuesday 4 invented by Toni Taddao -- and kept up in honor and memory of her.
The art of Mary Petty for New Yorker covers
1. You're having a lovely dinner party for friends and family. What will you serve for appetizers, main course and dessert?
Appetizer
Fried green tomatoes
with chipotle tarter sauce + lump crab meat (shown)
Except, I'm holding the crab on account of my shellfish allergy.
Except, I'm holding the crab on account of my shellfish allergy.
Main Course
Mississippi Pot Roast with smashed potatoes and corn bread
Dessert
Banana pudding and/or
Slow-cooker chocolate cake w/ vanilla ice cream
2. Snow storm! You've got house guests and you're all stuck inside for the night. What do you prepare for dinner supper? Will you watch a movie? Which one?
If they're obligatory house guests (jus' saying) --
I'd set the table, toss a pretty green-leaf salad and (try) the InstantPot lasagna Tom's daughter's been raving about. I'll let them choose what they'd like to watch.
But close friends/family?
I'm thinking skillets full of sausage-and-eggs, and/or pizza, and/or bags-full of garlic popcorn.
… and skip the movie in favor of good conversation.
3. We are going into New York City for the weekend. Where do you want to go?
Definitely the 9/11 Memorial
Too, I've always dreamt of taking a horse-drawn carriage ride in Central Park
4. You are going to night school They offer courses in writing short stories, painting, piano or guitar lessons, simple home repairs, baking and gardening. Which do you pick (or make up one of your own) and why?
Gardening. I've killed more innocent house plants than I'd like to admit -- most recently, just trying to re-pot them.
Too, I'd appreciate someone helping me get over my fear of under-cooking certain foods. I enjoy my beef 'medium rare' -- not so much chicken or pork. Call me naïve' (or worse), but I've never understood how one can tell when fried chicken is done throughout.
* * *
Tom and I are off to Birmingham today for a follow-up with his doctors. If I don't get to your posts tonight, I'll do my best to catch up on Wednesday.
Stay safe out there!
Hugs, Myra




Best wishes to you and Tom regarding health issues. Praying for you both. Al;so safe travel to Birmingham.
ReplyDeleteI had a choice of lessons/courses at evening classes. Either simple home repairs or self-defence like judo, karate and the like. I did not want to be beaten up; so I took the home repairs course. Yesterday on my way home I got mugged. I offered to build the mugger a shelf instead.
How can one tell when fried chicken is done throughout? If it stops clucking it's cooked.
God bless.
Glad you didn't opt instead to hit the mugger with that shelf! Still smiling ….
Deletegood luck at the doctors. safe travels. loving the sound of those meals. a carriage ride would be heavenly.
ReplyDeleteI like dreaming … you, too?
DeleteCount me on the close friends, smiles. Nothing too fancy schmazzy for me, lol. Have you ever tried a fried egg on top of a hamburger? I'll have to teach you. AND I love fried green tomatoes. smiles
ReplyDeleteKeeping you both in prayer, safe travels.
Yes, I LOVE fried egg atop my burger!
DeleteI love fried green tomatoes, but unfortunately I cannot make them. But I got some last time I was in Myrtle Beach. Yum!
ReplyDeleteTo be honest, I've never tried making them … yet!
DeleteHoping the doctor visit goes well! Yum on all the foods you would serve! Reading these on other people's blogs sure has me hungry this morning!!
ReplyDeletebetty
I know, right? Until recently, I never wanted to look at food before 11 or 12. Now I wake up hungry. LOL
Deletehave a safe trip and hope all is well... I don't do dinners, never have but I would love to come to yours. yum... on all of it. no one stays with us but if they did I would call out for pizza or go out to eat. classes, I would like to take the painting or sketching classes, I want to but can't see to paint or sketch.
ReplyDeletePizza's always a good idea! Unless you're hosting 'those' folks who request knives and forks to eat their pie. (Truth.....)
DeleteThat dinner sounds wonderful, but I like your idea of breakfast for dinner. Always good ! A follow up sounds good, making sure everything is working right. Doesn't hurt and does a lot of good. Prayers that all is well.
ReplyDeleteYes, thank you. We're feeling most blessed. Tom's doctor is pleased with his numbers.
DeletePraying for Tom and you, Myra! Do let us know when you can how everything goes today.
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
So appreciated! Tom has to begin cardiac rehab; but otherwise, we don't have to go back for another couple months.
DeleteEggs sound great and I dearly love fried tomatoes. The carriage rides through the park are very nice indeed! Hope your appts go very well and you are healthy and happy.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Ann!
DeleteGood luck with Tom's doctor. Hope it goes well. So when you get home - what time is dinner? I want to try your fried green tomatoes???
ReplyDeleteHAPPY Birthday, Sandie!
DeleteHope all goes well for Tom. I love fried green tomatoes, sometimes Luby's will have them on their buffet. As for the chicken, stick a fork in it if he bleeds he's not done. Momma used to always tell me I was letting the juices out, she was right but I did it anyway. lol
ReplyDeleteThanks for that tip, Mary! When we first moved here I asked our realtor - a life-long Alabamian. She said, "Why bother when you can just order out?"
DeleteOh man, I don't know how I'm going to make it around to everybody's supper. It all sounds so gooooood! Hey, we can visit the 9-11 memorial together and then go to the gardening class. I hope all went well at the doctor's.
ReplyDeleteWouldn't a gals' weekend in NYC be fun?
DeleteI'm with Vtor and the rest on the results at Birmingham.
ReplyDeleteNYC visit. I'd have to take time to see Miss Liberty up close. But I think I will drive in at 2 AM. Now I have an idea of a Blog post.
Enjoyed the read of course, but if anyone is snowed in at my house they will probably get toasted Cheese sandwiches or Sherry's famous fish soup. LOL
Love ya lady and hug the big guy for us.
Sherry & jack
Toasted cheese? Yummmmm. You'll have to tell us more about that fish soup!
DeleteI've been to New York 3 times and a carriage ride in the park was on my must do list last time!
ReplyDeleteColletta
Thanks for that thumb's up!
DeleteGood luck with Tom's follow-up appointment! Seems lots of us like chili on a cold snowy night but you sausage and eggs sounds pretty good right now - without any snow! Hugs!
ReplyDeleteWhy is it, comfort food sounds so much better on cold nights?
DeleteYou've made me drool for all of that wonderful food. But, I'm curious about "smashed potatoes"....I'm sure it's not a typo. I've thrown a few potatoes in my time, but never smashed them.
ReplyDeleteHouse guests? I can do without them. Let's lock the doors, turn down the lights, and keep all that food for ourselves.
I laughed at your confession of killing house plants. I can fully relate to that. I don't think I've ever had a house plant that survived. I've even had cactus plants die.
Hey, I'd go for that!
DeleteSmashed potatoes are just regular red-jacket(ed) mashed; not sure when/why I call them smashed.
Hope all went well at the doctors. Happy Birthday to Tom! 🎈
ReplyDeleteTake care, Sheila
Thank you so much! I hope your mom got a similarly good report?
DeleteI hope your hubby got a big fat "thumbs up" from the doctors. Smarticus was supposed to have his brain MRI and PET scan this week, so we could see both oncologists next week for the results. Problem is, his blood sugar is so out of control, they haven't been able to do a PET scan yet. Our next target date for the test is Monday, and even though he still has those other appointments scheduled, I'm dubious about them. Without the PET scan results, they can't give us any answers. But soon. Hopefully, soon.
ReplyDeleteI used to cook fried green tomatoes for my father, but I've never been a fan of them. But I AM a fan of crab meat, so tell ya what... you eat the tomatoes, and I'll take that crab meat off your hands... :)
Have a super weekend.
What an emotional roller-coaster! I recall someone telling Tom (that) the cancer cells actually glow on a PET scan. Like our friends told us then, I'm praying for darkness!
DeleteWe keep in simple. We love to bar-b-que and my hubby makes excellent homemade pizza. I like to make dessert. Paula Deen Banana Pudding before she sold her soul to Big Pharm. I love to make Ambrosia too but my kids cry foul with coconut. But the son-in-law makes a mean steak and oh yes, Paula Deen potatoes. YUM! Now I am hungry. HaHaHa We love good conversation (could you tell?) and so I would rather guests enjoy conversation than movies. You're so much fun! HUGS xo
ReplyDelete