Thursday, February 20, 2020

Thankful Thursday with Rebecca Jo








Yep, still raining ... 


What better time to focus on those things which really matter?


This morning I'm thankful for ... 

Being parked at a nearby grocery store when my car's alternator suddenly died.  I can't even wrap my mind around the thought it could have happened last week while in the downtown Birmingham parking garage -- or even while on I-65 in the driving rain.

There's never a good time for expensive car repairs. But the down-home, friendly folks at Scott's service station made the process less painful.  My olden (243k miles) Camry was home before nightfall!



For our meteorologist's sense of humor:
"Whoever's doing a rain dance, I hope you sprain an ankle."


For the ugly enormous weeds (we've allowed to grow) just slip-sliding out of the sodden earth.  Easy-peasy!


For Tom's continuing to feel stronger.  The reception he received at church Sunday morning was overwhelming. Even Pastor Janet publicly welcomed him from the pulpit.


This, just in -
For quick-thinking doctors and nurses at Baptist East.  My friend's daughter shared on her Facebook page this morning:  
(In part)  "... at 9 Tom rushed me to the ER. I'd just taken my night meds, one being a HUGE magnesium pill. That big pill got lodged sideways in my esophagus and was making it difficult to breathe, the pain was also enormous."  
Note to self:  Never try taking (my own) big calcium pill without first splitting it in half, or crushing it and consuming in applesauce.


And of course ...
For each of you!  Your thoughtful, funny, whimsical posts ... y'all remembering to stay safe (*smile*) ...  and your making time to visit mean the world to me.  (143!)


Hugs, Myra











31 comments:

  1. You got rain and we have snow and very bitter temps, sigh. I do not miss the rainy season there.

    I can't take pills--well, not very well anyways. I take one little pill for high blood pressure and I feel like I am choking. Its gotta be in my big head, LOL.

    Keeping y'all in prayer...and I am thankful for you too. smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? Shannon's experience has the 'what-iffer' in me going crazy.

      Delete
  2. I can't swallow those caplets at all. I buy the gel cap calcium to keep from choking. cost a little more but slide down easy.. they have choclate chew calcium but I am afraid I might over dose.
    so happy to hear about Tom at church.. a few years back, I came out of Walmart and my battery was dead. the day before we had driven out in the country, down a long road to a fishing camp. parked and enjoyed the view, no people, no phones and no cell phone. if when we got back in the car it had not started we might be sitting there still.. in past years we have had the battery die in our own garage 3 times... that is in 35 years of cars... the corvette shot the fuel pump in the driveway as we left for a trip to GA. we had to take the truck, buy the part and come back and while bob repaired it, I called mother to tell her we would be two hours later. yay for that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my word ... those were close calls. How great that Bob has the know-how to fix the fuel pump. I'm going to check out those gel caps!

      Delete
  3. It is always good to be Thankful. So nice to see you have so much to give thanks for. Oh my on that pill. Thankfully I do't have any trouble swallowing any of mine. But yes, if you do, cut it in pieces. There is truly always something to be thankful for. For good or bad we made it through another day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ma, I do believe your sunny attitude is rubbing off on me! Sure beats the alternative!

      Delete
  4. OK - are we in the same area because I see I65 - I see Baptist East (which we have one) & we've been DROWNING in rain lately too :) are we neighbors??? :)
    Oh gosh - I get choked on the smallest of pills so that just freaks me out thinking of a pill getting lodged sideways - YIKESSSS
    Yep - if a car has to break down - at least in a safe, convenient spot is the way it needs to happen.
    Thanks for linking up with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't that be neat? I had to run to your Photography site to see WHERE you live. No, we're down the road a ways in central Alabama. I hope to be back again next week!

      Delete
  5. Myra, this is incredibly ironic (i.e. your friend's daughter) - -
    I almost choked on a magnesium pill two nights ago!!! I've been taking a lot of vitamins lately because my immune system is really run down. The magnesium pills are dry and chalky and one got stuck in my throat! I had to drink lots of water to finally get it down.
    It's scary how quickly a pill can make you choke.

    As for rain - I'm so thoroughly disgusted with it that I'm almost (ALMOST) ready to move back to Texas. I'm afraid that I'll get stuck in the mud again if I try to go out.

    Snow is predicted for today - but so far it's a No-Show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's crazy ironic! I hear the sun's supposed to make an appearance here tomorrow. Any more water and I may look into a sand-bagging tutorial.

      Delete
  6. It's so good to hear your husband is getting better, it's so hard when our spouses aren't well. God is so good to allow your car to wait until you were in a safe spot to break down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the rain meme, Myra! Yes, it feels the same way in GA, too. So tired of it!
    Glad to know your car was so easily fixed too. Can't believe the mileage you have on it! Toyotas are just the best cars around.
    Keep getting stronger, Tom!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Martha! I've flirted with the idea of getting a new car, but no. Right now, I'd rather pay for the occasional repair than make monthly payments.

      Delete
  8. Tis good to know Tom is doing well. And YEP it makes a difference WHERE that part on the car decides to die. Glad it worked for you. I have had to take a LOT of pills lately, and I have noticed even the smaller ones 'get me' at times. Imma gonna try to be more careful, THAT is scary, getting one lodged!
    Most of all, Love ya and always enjoy the visit to YOUR house.
    Sherry & jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wish car manufacturers would invent an alert when batteries or alternators start to run low. No-one likes THOSE sorts of surprises.

      Delete
  9. If your car had to break down I'm glad it happened in a good spot. It doesn't always happen that way. Funny comment by your weather man, he must have a good personality. I take those big calcium pills, the ones I take have a shiny coating on them, makes it easier to get them down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Josh (Chief Meteorologist) is both informative and funny. Today's offering? "Whoever prayed for rain, would you please pray for my bank account."

      Delete
  10. So glad your car was fixable and that you were not stuck in the rain or on the freeway. Praise God! I am happy to read that Tom is doing better and better! It is crazy how big some pills are!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Freak accident! But now I'm thinking those pharmaceutical companies need taken to task.

      Delete
  11. So thankful and grateful that Tom, (and you), are OK. Praise the Lord.

    There are so many things we have to be thankful for in life. Things we don't even think about until they go wrong.

    Like the other day ... I switched the lights on and "ping" the light bulb died on me. I thought, "How lucky I am ... the last time I used this light bulb it must have been within three seconds of it dying".

    I'm always thankful for small things. Like getting home at night and finding a bit of cheese in the mousetrap. Nice when melted on toast.

    Keep smiling, Mevely. May you and yours be always happy.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's that saying, "Life is fragile, handle with prayer!" Thanks for including us in yours, Victor!

      Delete
  12. Lots of great thankfuls!!! It is always good to keep track of them, isn't it? Glad to hear Tom is getting stronger and that he made it to church :) Wow with the rain; I didn't realize how much you guys were getting!! Ick on car repairs, but to find a good mechanic is a blessing indeed!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think someone said we've already had 13.5" of rain … the pundits are having a great time creating funny memes.

      Delete
  13. The sun finally made an appearance here today, but we've had so much rain, it was beginning to look like we needed to build an ark. Our lakes and rivers here are at some of their highest levels ever. But an interesting thing is that when I go grocery shopping, 99% of the time, the rain holds off until after I get home and get the car unloaded. It has happened so many times over the years, it's hard to write it off as a coincidence. Like last week, when I came out of Publix, the sky was pitch black (So what's new, eh?) and some big sloppy drops were starting to fall. I looked up and said, "Please wait until I get home." And it DID! Seeing as how I hate to drive in the rain, I'm very grateful for the good fortune.

    I have a terrible time taking pills, but I take a lot of 'em... one at a time. Smarticus tosses a whole handful of them into his mouth at once. No WAY could I handle that. As for the calcium pills, I've been taking the Citracal petites for quite a while now. They're a little easier to swallow than those big horse pills.

    I'm glad to hear Tom is doing well. :)

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow, girl … you've got some pull with Ma Nature! Thanks for the tip about Citracel petites; I'll look for them. Hope your weekend is swell, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We've had so much sunshine -- which I love -- that I am starting to worry about drought this summer. Two of my pills are huge! I know I don't always take them with enough water. Thankfully, no crisis, but you've given me a good warning to make sure I'm really washing them down. A sip isn't good enough. Take good care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol ... Wishing you a super new week!

      Delete
  16. i am so glad tom is doing so well. i use a pill cutter with all my vitamins so they are easier to swallow. glad you were able to get that big okd pill down. they can be dangerous for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A pill cutter … of course! (Smacking self in forehead.) I think Tom still has one around here somewhere.

      Delete
  17. Oh goodness, those pill cutters are great! The hubby takes a Potassium pill that is huge. Glad your friend is ok. These huge pills, I'd like to kick the shins of whoever makes these decisions for giant pills we are suppose to swallow. You have such a sense of humor. Fun shares. Take care and glad Tom got his cake and ate it too. HUGS xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!