Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Ride, Ride Like the Wind




… or not! 



Tomorrow we're invited to celebrate those daring young men in their flying machines.  Actually, the first human-powered flight!
(Read more about that, here.)

Personally? Rather than celebrate, I'd likely drag someone by his ear to the nearest psychiatric facility. Ha!

* * *

Today's prompts go like this:

Tell us about the first airplane ride you took, and do you like to fly?
My parents used to 'fall' for these 'dollar-down, dollar-a-month' land sales pitches … so, I guess I was 8 or 9 y/o, circling undeveloped land parcels in the Bahamas.

I've regularly flown domestic and international, but can't shake my unease fear.
In case anyone else shares this phobia you, too, might enjoy an excerpt from my dog-eared copy of White Knuckles:

"I pretended very hard to be completely nonchalant. No use dressing for success if you're going to cringe like a whipped dog for two hours. I used to tell myself that since I was going to die, I should attempt to die with some style. I tried to look bored. It's hard to look bored when you are jerking in your seat at every bump as if you have been slipped twenty volts."

"In the toilets of major airlines, I have fervently renounced every sin in my life.
Lord, just let me get down alive. Kill me any other way but this." 




Have you ever gone hang-gliding, and was it on the beach with boat power, or from a mountain with only the wind and your body?



Have you ever gone kite flying, and with who?

Probably as a child with my dad.

I remember feeling underwhelmed.



Experimental aircraft is quite popular as a hobby where Terri lives. Have you or anyone you know ever constructed a flying machine and did you ride in it?
I may be called a lot of things, but suicidal isn't one of them.


Another big hobby around Lakeland is Radio Controlled Airplanes. Have you ever seen them flying or tried your hand at it?
Aside from making music, Tom's passion is building and flying WWII-era RC aircraft.


I don't share his interest ..... but neither does he blog. Ha!





Please tell us something about your week.
Ya, it feels like this year is flying by at warp speed.
Cancel that.
August came along, and it feels like September will never arrive. I don't know if it's our uncharacteristic heat or the 5-week wait for my SS check. (*smile*)

Anyway!
After a self-imposed cooling off period, we visited an estate sale yesterday. I didn't find any cute coffee mugs, but came away with two pair of boots for $12!
… and revisited a favorite burger place that defines the term, 'joint.'
Yep, they're really that big!


Then, this happened. (Low-lights)

Color me so happy to be rid of the gray hair!

* * *

OK, I'm going to shut up now and go make rude gestures to the television.  Aside from the absurd knife thrower, 'can't say I agree with any of the AGT judges tonight.  

Have a wonderful Wednesday! ... Be safe!

Hugs, Myra



35 comments:

  1. I agree, August seems to be going slowly this year. I have checked why. This is because things expand in the heat. This year has been warmer than most and so the days are longer and so the month of August lasts longer.

    This is true, Mevely. I have read it in a scientific book I am writing.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, that's the best explanation I've ever heard!

      Delete
  2. Oh what a fun blog entry from you!! You had me laughing at your fun responses...the monkey one really cracked me up!! Love the new color..beautiful my friend!! Have a great Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. we will watch AGT tonight, it is our wed night tv material... I hate all knife throwers and head bashers and things that are dangerous like shooting out of canons. but I do love AGT. all your answers to the flight questions are exactly MINE.. even the hubby whose only hobby is flying radio controlled airplanes. but he builds his and they fly..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, wouldn't our 'boys' have fun together if we lived closer.

      Delete
  4. AGT last night was ...interesting. I want to see who survives to the next round.

    From my viewpoint the summer seems to be flying by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too … I'm definitely more invested in some than in the past.

      Delete
  5. IlovED to fly until all the hurry up and wait of today's 'security'. I am sure they have deterred many 'amateur' dangerous folk.
    First flight (other than military helo's), was to bring baby #1 to NC to show him off. Before a transfer to Missouri.
    I used to love to fly kites, but NEVER did the human kite flying, Not going too either. LOL
    Aw yes, I live to watch the hand built RC planes, especially the Old Bombers! NICE!
    Love from NC
    Sherry & jack
    Loved the entry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if y'all ever get this way I know Tom would be tickled to take you out to the flying field and put a receiver in your hands!

      Delete
  6. Myra, again, I about spat out my coffee as I am laughing so hard; "Rather than celebrate, I'd likely drag someone by his ear to the nearest psychiatric facility." Thanks...smiles

    We were just discussing that about SS-my husband collects his due to illness...anyways, these 5 weeks are bummer. Just saying...how in the world they expect us or anyone to make it stretch?

    I haven't watched AGT for a long time. I am so ready for cooler weather, sigh.

    Have a beautiful day friend. PS. Love the boots and your hair. smiles (and my what a burger!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks so much! I'm ready to do a snow dance!

      Delete
  7. it is almost noon and I was reading on FB and saw Pams hair and thought OH NO I did not comment on your hair. I LOVE IT! the color is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your hubs and mind would LOVE each other. lol
    Model planes and flying.
    I love your low lights I am getting them done in September.
    I don't mind flying but I hate to drive there and all the stress of getting in those lines and luggage costs - etc.
    Sandie♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! No offense, but Atlanta Hartsfield is scary. Sissy travelers need not apply!

      Delete
  9. That is cool about Tom's hobby. If I knew about it before, I totally forgot it, but it sounds fun to do! I like your new "do." It looks good on you! Great bargain with those boots too! I flew last year for my niece's wedding and before that the last time I flew was 2005. Never again! But what got me through was lots of wine. I mean lots of wine!

    betty

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Betty! Nowadays, if I can't go by car or rail or boat, I'm not going!

      Delete
  10. My interest in flying machines is minimal, at best.

    When I was young I flew quite often and never had any apprehensions about it (except ONE time when there was a big storm and we almost crashed over Atlanta).

    Nowadays, I seriously doubt if I'd ever fly. My phobias are much more intense. And it's a different world - - too many risks and far too many crazy people.

    One of my cousins is a pilot. Once when I was 18, he gave me a tour of the control tower at L.A. International Airport, which was an interesting experience.

    Yea, I attempted to fly kites when I was a kid - and they all wound up demolished and/or in the tops of trees.

    P.S. I like your new hair color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jon! Did you know, one of the items on my bucket list is to see the inside of air traffic control and watch them work. Little chance, I know since 9-11.

      Delete
  11. Oh my mercy, that is one big burger and one big airplane. Your hair looks good. What a great sense of humor you have with that prayer in the plane potty!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How I wish I could take credit for that … excerpt from the book. But man, I've sure THOUGHT it plenty of times. LOL.

      Delete
  12. Oh, your hair looks lovely, Myra! And I'm with you when it comes to flying - literally, it's for the birds as far as I'm concerned.
    Blessings for a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your hair! You make me giggle at the oddest things!

    Grace & Peace,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pam! Ya, my mind gets weird sometimes. :)

      Delete
  14. Your hair looks FABULOUS, Myra!! Thanks for joining the Medley today and how cool that Tom does RC planes!! Those boots your found are cute and the black ones look new! Good find!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, you're sweet. Funny about the boots -- you should have seen me at home, trying to get my foot to bend 'just so' to put on the high(er) brown boots. I had visions of being in an accident and the paramedics having to cut them off my foot. Ha.

      Delete
  15. Cute boots and CUTE you!! You look mah-velous, darling. (Did you hear that in Billy Crystal's voice?)

    ReplyDelete
  16. My first time to fly was when I was drafted into the Army. I flew to Newark, NJ to my advanced training. After that I flew to Panama on TWA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, TWA. Back when air travel was still somewhat classy.

      Delete
  17. My first flight ever was from Maryland to Hawaii with a short layover in Chicago. It was such a long flight, I crocheted an entire afghan, and it was such a rough flight, lots of people got sick... even one of the stewardesses. Since it was my first flight, I had no point of comparison, so had NO IDEA it wasn't a normal flight. All that mattered to me was I was meeting my hubby, who was coming from Vietnam for R&R. I LOVE the feeling of acceleration during take-off, and never tire of looking out the window during a flight, but I doubt if I ever get on a plane again. My hubby had to do so much travel with his job, he doesn't have any interest in ever going anywhere near an airport again.

    I loved making and flying kites as a kid, and I STILL enjoy it. Funny thing is, our grandkids think it's boring. HA! (Then again, they don't like fishing, either...)

    Your hair look mah-velous, dahling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know when you flew last, but (IMHO) the atmosphere's not much different than a Greyhound bus. :(

      Delete
  18. You look so pretty! Love your hair. I need a professioanl color. My sis was the best but since she said I will burn in hell with Trump we haven't talked much! Instead of doling out monies from the taxpaying American why can't the govt. give us what belongs to us. I can't even....my gf Lynette recently turned 65. PERA is bankrupt and she fought on four different occasion to straigten out that mess! That's what she gets for working 40 plus years like the rest of us! Someday I must revisit the BoJon Brace my dad's sister would implement while flying the friendly or not skies. My aunt Ann S. was a hoot. But as a child I feared her. She pinched your cheeks so hard you would have red marks for a few hours. Ouch!I Am a nervous flyer. The hubby is cool like a cucumber.My father never flew. he use to say, if God intended for me to fly, he would have given me wings. I would love to be able to just travel. A gal I know from Kansas home schools their kids (4) with her hubby and recently bought a celebrity quality RV!Sigh....I think we had more fun on the Greyhound bus in my childhood days and the train. Oh how I love traveling by train. I once traveled to ALabama on the Greyhound with mom and her sister Ann P. and my cousin Joanne. Oh my goodness, Joanne and I still laugh about the fried chicken we consumed during the first 2 hours of that trip! Didn't even make it to the New Mexico state line. hahaha I am recuperating from the heat wave we have had Nick had a birthday bar-be-que yesterday. I love seeing all of us together. Jeremy and Brittany are waiting patiently for baby boy. If he refuses to make an appearance they will induce her Sept 3. Prayers welcome. Anytime I have the little ones here is a good day. HUGS and LOVE

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!