Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Remembering VJ Day




Victory over Japan Day
commemorates the day in 1945 when news broke around the world the Imperial Government of Japan would surrender, ending a long and grueling world war.  In Europe, the date was August 15 due to the time zone. Regardless, the celebrations that broke out were no less zealous.



As ever, thanks to our hostess, Terri, for crafting each Wednesday's posers.  (My thoughts appear in red.)



* * *

I'm sure many kids today have no idea what V-J Day is all about. 
Did you have a loved one who fought in WWII?


Yes.
Both my father and his younger brother served in the U.S. Navy.


The iconic sculpture from the famous photograph of "The Unconditional Surrender" has been defaced recently because of the #metoo movement. I know we can get very political about this subject, but just keeping it in the spirit for which it was created, what are your thoughts?
(Blood pressure going up ... up ...up.)
This being a 'PG13' blog I'll refrain from sharing my feelings about the #metoo-ers.

I love the spontaneity and joy depicted. 'Just miss the days when men weren't so concerned about being real men ….. and some women were um, better behaved.


Terri's grandson, Tristan, loved playing a game called "Axis and Allies."  It was quite complicated, took up the entire dining room table, and was not something Terri wanted to play. (Me, neither.) (Grandpa understood it and played though.)  Can you name three Axis countries and five of the many Allies?
Nope, sorry.
Much to my son's chagrin, I'm not a fan of history.


Terri was surprised to learn that most historians agree that WWII began when Germany invaded Poland on September1, 1939. Other say it started when Japan invaded Manchuria on September 18, 1931. And some scholars suggest WWII is actually a continuation of WWI, with a break in between. Have you ever visited Pearl Harbor in Hawaii or any other WWII memorial around the world?
I wish I might revisit Pearl Harbor now, as I'm more likely to appreciate it. Normandy, too. Especially Normandy.


Calvin Graham was only 12 years old during WWII when he enlisted in the U.S. Navy. He won a Bronze Star and a Purple Heart before the Navy found out how old he was. (God bless him!) Terri doesn't know any 12 y/o's today who could qualify or get away with something like that. Times are so very different now, but here in the U.S. we do have ROTC in high schools. Do you know anyone who started in ROTC and went on the enlist in one of the services?
Yes.
My son attended Florida Air Academy before enlisting in the Army.



Please tell us something about your week so far.

I'm still a little surprised how much I'm enjoying ladies Bible study. Yesterday we were discussing the power of negativity in our words, our tones of voice … the stories we tell ourselves.

Hey, I know that one!
How many times I've called myself fat, ugly, a moron. This morning, coming home from the park and realizing my right blinker had been on all the way.  "Idiot!"

My former pastor once said, "If you keep saying the 's' word, sooner or later you're going to step in it."  The universe hears it all.
…..which reminds me of a favorite quote from a well-loved book (below):

"In racing, they say that your car goes where your eyes go. The driver who cannot tear his eyes away from the wall as he spins out of control will meet that wall."
Simply, another way of saying that which you manifest is before you.

There's little likelihood I'll be going to see this movie. Why? Because I loved the book (which, as I recall, has little to do with racing) -- and usually find movie adaptations disappointing. 

(Goodreads.com excerpt)
Enzo knows he is different from other dogs: a philosopher with a nearly human soul (and an obsession with opposable thumbs). He has educated himself by watching television extensively, and by listening very closely to the words of his master, Denny Swift, an up-and-coming race car driver.

Through Denny, Enzo has gained tremendous insight into the human condition, and he sees that life, like racing, isn't simply about going fast. On the eve of his death, Enzo takes stock of his life, recalling all that he and his family have been through.

A heart-wrenching but deeply funny and ultimately, uplifting story of family, love, loyalty and hope. The Art of Racing in the Rain is a beautifully crafted and captivating look at the wonders and absurdities of human life -- as only a dog could tell it.

* * *

Negative self-talk aside, while at study I cracked myself up. Someone asked how to spell 'sanctification' … and everyone began yakking like contestants at a spelling bee.  I grabbed my phone to consult GoogleGirl -- but forgot the importance of enunciation.

I didn't know 'Santa's vacation' was a thing.  Where do you suppose he goes?

* * *

On that note ...
Keep that smile on your face and stay safe!

Hugs, Myra








32 comments:

  1. all the way through I had not desire to comment. I share your thing about history and the odd thing is while drinking our first cup of coffee today, bob and I were discussing high school history lessons because I told him the title of bigs blog today is the Midnight Whine of Big Revere. he said I doubt the kids in school today will get that. which led to me stating how much I hated history in high school. that answers all the questions above. ha ha. now about Santa's Vacation, I could no stop giggling. auto correct and google just slay me. I have a southern accent and the things she hears are not what I say....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can just imagine! You could do a whole post about "sounds like"! I feel so bad for Big, but loved reading the Midnight Whine.

      Delete
  2. Much appreciation for your dad and uncle's service! That book sounds very good. I don't usually like books from the animal's perspective, but this one sounds different. Thanks for mentioning it. :) Also, on Santa's Vacation...I'm sure he goes somewhere warm and beachy since he lives at the North Pole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stacy! I'll bet you're right about the beach. (Personally, I'd take the North Pole any day!)

      Delete
  3. Now...listen...I resent that comment about history (grin and laughter)--you can't say those things to a Historian in training, history is a wonderful thing. No sense in me lecturing you, LOL. (and of course I am just teasing you--I hear it all the time --especially with the young lady who rides with me back and forth to school. She like, "Linda, how can you do this? Itssssssssss sooooooooo boringggggggggggggg!")

    I bet Santa goes to the beach, more giggles.

    Thanks Myra for the many smiles and giggles. Are you sure we ain't related?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, you crack me up! I've another blogger friend who makes history sound (ahem) almost enjoyable. I've told him, if any of my teachers were as good as you I might have paid attention. Ha!

      Delete
  4. Hi Myra! I loved your answers. To fun about Santa's vacation. lol Made me laugh and I love to laugh. You are so right about negative self-talk. I do it way to much and really need to stop! Thanks for the reminder.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy. After 69 years, this turning over a new leaf might be a challenge. Let's keep reminding each other!

      Delete
  5. I have to remind myself constantly about negative talk and also remember the Bible says we will give account for every idle word spoken. Too funny about Santa's vacation. When I dictate to my phone or iPad, some of the words that show up are quite strange! And I love history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear I'm not alone! Let's continue to lift one another!

      Delete
  6. First of all, that picture of your dad perhaps, is a Clark Gable look-alike. Handsome man! I know that shows my age so you will understand why I am in total agreement with you on your answer to #2 question. I want men to be men and women to be ladies. Nuff said. Also had to smile on the google correction for sanctification. Thanks for sharing your humor with us today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness! Were he still alive, my dad would be over the moon to read this. He was never vain, yet loved having his picture taken. Thank you!

      Delete
  7. Negative talk to myself is something I need to work on. I understood EXACTLY when you said to yourself, 'Idiot' about the blinker. I do it constantly at 'things' I do......

    Yes, my brothers served in WWII. I served in the front yard with my wooden gun to shoot down the enemy should they make it to Shelby NC.
    Ignorant people who use 'Metoo' (which I do sympathize with) and do not understand the euphoria of VJ Day. I was 6 and remember it like yesterday. Adults yelled, cried, laughed ran rode threw things in the air rode motorcycles streaming toilet paper, the most joyous day I remember in my life.

    Great responses. Love it always.
    Sherry and jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have loved seeing that euphoria! Love picturing little you standing guard with your wooden gun. :)

      Delete
  8. Thank your brother and father and all relatives that have served. My dad was in WW II.
    I hate that they had to mark up that statue.
    I have been to Pearl Harbor and it is just amazing to see.
    I am glad you like your bible study. Mine is starting next week from having the summer off.
    I have to be a Chatty whisperer and tell myself positive things and stop being negative!
    Sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chatty whisperer? Love it! I'd love to visit Pearl Harbor … if I could go by boat that is. I congratulated myself once we moved here that I'll never again have to set foot on a plane.

      Delete
  9. "Santa' vacation" - LOL!!! And where does he go, I wonder?
    Negative self talk should be avoided at all cost, Myra. It does no one any good. And I must admit, I like what your former pastor said - so true!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My guess is Sarasota, Martha. Saw a number of look-alikes at Cracker Barrel last year. :)

      Delete
  10. Great post today Mevely and good advice from your pastor. You should be very proud of your family.

    God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you are enjoying Bible study! I like what you shared from your recent one and what your pastor said. I needed to hear those words today! I love what google comes up with some of the things I put in for a search. Always good for a laugh!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betty. The Bible study is unlike anything I imagined it would be.

      Delete
  12. LOL... where DOES Santa go on vacation? Myra, thanks for joining the Medley today! I find myself much more interested in history and historical facts than I did in my younger years. Is that called maturity? LOL I enjoyed reading your responses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know that I'm more mature, but I agree. Plus, it's all in the presentation. I had some pretty boring teachers. LOL.

      Delete
  13. Call me ignorant, but I don't think I ever heard of VJ Day. My father was in the Navy in WWII. The veterans of that war have now nearly all vanished....

    I'm outraged that anyone would deface the "Unconditional Surrender" sculpture. What is wrong with these insane SOBs??
    Don't get me started on the subject of the so-called METoo movement. I'll burn a hole in your blog......

    One of my cats is annoying the jeeters out of me and I can't concentrate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I even hate to type 'me, too' … but me, too! Burn away, my friend!

      Delete
  14. OK I will admit my ignorance about VJ day so thanks Myra for the history lesson. My father worked in a naval shipyard during the war and 2 uncles were in the Merchant Marines. Negative self talk is also a bad habit of mine so we can all uplift one another. And I agree with Jon’s earlier comments about those “me too” groups. No matter what your political beliefs or leanings, it’s no reason to mar a sculpture, artwork, or even a wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually … my own knowledge of history is pathetic. 'Must defer to Terri at 'Your Friend From Florida" (tdorsaneo.blogspot.com). Each Wednesday she hosts a Q-and-A, based on the National Day Calendar. Maybe you'd like to join us someday?

      Delete
  15. Jeremy is our phamily history buff, especially the Civil War. My late father-in-law enlisted in the US Navy when he was a mere 14 years old. He was near Pearl Harbor but not there when the attack went down. Rebekah went to the USS Arizona memorial and she keeps in touch with the grand daughter of Donald Stratton one of the last living survivors. Perhaps I shared this, but when I wrote a blog post about my BFF Grandmother and her cousin Frances who lost her only son Bruce in WWII, I posted a photo I had of them and Bruce was in his Navy whites! I received a very formal looking e mail from a gentleman putting together the museum for Mariners in WWII. He asked if he could use the photo and one day, God willing, I am wanting to travel to Hawaii so I may visit. Because of that man's interaction with me.I learned where Bruce was, on a submarine, and where he perished. It was so emotional but so gratifying to have this info. The words for the Me Too people are too graphic to print! No matter who you are or what you believe, it is absolutely disgusting and disrespectful to mar a sculpture. Anything like that is hatefulness.
    I have been visiting with a lady who has tried for years to become a US citizen. She was separated from her family 10 years and had to have a sponsor and get a medical exam which cost money, money , money. Sounds exactly like my dear friend Dr. T. from Japan. I do not want to get political but come here legally. Nothing is free, tax payers not the govt. are picking up the tab!WHen I see my strong logical and very even tempered husband say he is frightened what is coming to our country, I am frightened too.
    You asked about Harrison. Chester is his dog, he is a yellow lab. CHester is the kind of canine who comes to your home hops on your bed and looks at you like, "What, I need a nap ok?" Ha Ha Ha! He is a gentle dog and just what Harrison needs. Jordy his Grammie Lisa's dog is more high maintenance. He is named for Jordy Nelson a former Green Bay Packer football player. LOL! They also have birds and Harrison, like this Grandmother, is not a huge fan of birds particularly ones who are free to fly inside your home! NOPE!
    Have a great weekend my friend. Thank you for your kindnesses and your beautiful card. Meant a lot to us. xo







    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello. My name is Susan, and I'm a history nerd. HA! So many people seem to hate history, I almost feel like I need to belong to a history nerds anonymous group, or something.

    The "Unconditional Surrender" statue is such an iconic uplifting symbol of the joy of that day. It's a shame someone defaced it. As for the Me, Too movement, I have sympathy for any female who was sexually abused, but some of the accusations that have been made are rather petty and frivolous, and all they do, in my opinion, is dilute the validity of the real abuses that took place.

    I think Santa vacations at the beach. (But I hope he doesn't wear Speedos!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!