Today's one of my 7 favorite days of the week, because I get to join Terri and friends for the Wednesday Medley!
Today? Today is National Love Your Pet Day … something I think we like-minded folks can all get behind!
* * *
Terri asks ...
Have you ever had a special pet in your life? Will you tell us about it?
Every one has been special!
But there was only one Caraleigh. My heart-dog. So sweet and smart! She knew each of her 'babies' by name and would retrieve whichever one I asked for. I still smile, recalling how she'd scoot closer anytime I'd say, "I can't reach you."
Because I made a big mistake 'humanizing' her, I've vowed to never again let another fur baby get that close.
Because I made a big mistake 'humanizing' her, I've vowed to never again let another fur baby get that close.
Did you grow up with pets in your home? What did it teach you?
My parents gave me a Miniature Schnauzer for my 10th birthday, in hopes it would teach me responsibility. It didn't take, and Pepper became my father's little shadow.
Do you ever wonder what animals are thinking?
Doesn't everyone? I suspect, when we eventually get where we're going, we'll find out (that) they understood everything all along. Remember the Tower of Babel?
Sometimes a pet gets out and doesn't return for a few days. What do you think happens to them when they go on a walkabout?
Being a bit of a helicopter parent, that's my worst nightmare! I can't even allow myself to speculate.
With cats and dogs being the most popular pets, what is the most exotic pet you have personal experience with (didn't have to be yours)?
The only thing that comes to mind is a parrot belonging to one of Tom's friends. It used to visit everyone's shoulders -- except mine. I'm pretty sure animals can sense when someone's intimidated … or creeped out. :)
Please tell us something random about your week so far.
Those of y'all on Facebook probably saw my pictures Saturday documenting Tom's leak-detector journey.
Turns out, the culprit was the dishwasher! We'd not noticed anything amiss prior because it wasn't used for many months until the holidays. Anyway, he discovered the underside all rusted and wired wonky … and the pump is DOA. Oh, and someone had kindly left empty food containers and plastic utensils beneath. Uck!
The flooring will have to be replaced, but that's OK … we both disliked the laminate. We're going with a ceramic tile that looks for all the world like hardwood. Actually, a weathered barn look, aka Chip and Joanna Gaines. The dishwasher has to go, as well, but that can wait for another day (another year). Nice, but certainly not a necessity!
In other news …..
We saw the Occupational Therapist about Tom's hand this morning. She's ordered two braces, and is sending a note to his primary, strongly suggesting a referral to an orthopedic surgeon. Fingers crossed!
As ever, thank you so much for visiting!
(Hope we won't need these!)
We've more severe weather forecasted that's playing havoc with the internet, but like the postman (ha!) I'll do my darndest to visit everyone! Stay safe!
As ever, thank you so much for visiting!
(Hope we won't need these!)
We've more severe weather forecasted that's playing havoc with the internet, but like the postman (ha!) I'll do my darndest to visit everyone! Stay safe!
Hugs, Myra








We have that tile in our laundry room and love it. Have a wonderful week and hope that Tom is on the mend soon, Myra.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much!
DeleteI have this huge grin on my face, your storm helmets are perfect. and I wish I could get my hubby to pose for a selfie. I have begged to get just one. he refuses. hope the weather leaves you alone.
ReplyDeleteI love the photo of your heart dog. so beautiful. we humanize all of our dogs, and have turned Big into a person. he now has a huge vocabulary and had none when we got him. instead of i can't reach you, i say come a little closer and he does.. i love that tile that looks like wood, saw it in home depot... sorry about the mess, but you will love the new floor. we have a microwave in our dishwasher hole, its been there for 29 years. your nightmare is mine to. losing a dog in the wide open. i worry when we are in the car, because there have been several wrecks on the interstate and the dog gets out and can't be found. they panic in a wreck.
Your BigBoy sounds extraordinarily intelligent. What a blessing he's been!
DeleteI like the picture of you guys with the helmets! I think its because we humanized a certain corgi that I'm reluctant to get another one. I can't go through that heartbreak again. Homeowners insurance pay for any of the damages caused by the leak or do you by chance have home warranty coverage?
ReplyDeletebetty
The insurance adjuster is due out tomorrow … fingers crossed! (Unfortunately, the home warranty expired last month.)
DeleteI had three pets Tom the cat, Bingo the family dog and then my dog Ace. He was the world to me for a few years. Those few years live like a movie. I am finally putting it on paper, my next book, "Ace and 'Me'." Tom ran off and Bingo had to be 'put down'. Now I have Stormy my sometimes cat. She wanders off for days at a time (when I am home) I have a feeling what 'Stormy is doing' when she is off gallivanting. (SMILE)
ReplyDeleteI always enjoy the comments you make here. Ceramic for the kitchen is a good choice....
Ace sounds like a real friend. I'm so looking forward to reading your #14!
DeleteWe had a foundation leak and had to have all the downstairs completely redone, which was good and we have tile in the kitchen and laundry room. You will be happy with it. I've had three miniature schnauzers. Loved them so much, but I have loved all my dogs.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the encouragement; that means a lot!
DeleteI believe you are spot on about the animals understanding. We've talked about it in Bible study. The serpent talked to Eve and she wasn't at all surprised by it. The donkey talked to that one prophet (his name is escaping me) and he wasn't surprised. I believe we communicated quite well with them at one time.
ReplyDeleteWhoever coined the term, "dumb animals" sure had his head up ******!
DeleteI love the little graphic you posted about picking a pet as a relative. That is so true and I had never thought about it that way.
ReplyDeleteYour Caraleigh was beautiful! She sounds so special. I wish they lived longer. Loved your answers!! Enjoy the rest of the week.
https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/
Thank you, my friend!
DeleteThe tile sounds like a great choice! I will never put ceramic tile on the flood again. Porcelain is the same color all the way through so chips and worn areas will never show!! Thanks for joining the Medley today, Myra! I am enjoying getting puppy fixes! Hardly anyone had cats in early years. Your Caraleigh sounds so sweet!!
ReplyDeleteThe sweetest, to be sure. Thank you for crafting such an entertaining theme!
DeleteI agree with you - - EVERY one of my pets has been special and I loved them dearly. I'm still so upset over the death of Scruffy that I sometimes can't sleep at night...
ReplyDeleteI undoubtedly appreciate my current pets so much, because the pets in my childhood were a disaster. My father hated animals and always got "rid" of my pets VERY quickly. I think the longest I ever had one was about a week.
I had numerous cats that mysteriously "ran away"..... which meant that Dad got rid of them. The same fate happened to several dogs.
Exotic pets? As an adult I had a parrot for about twenty years. He unfortunately had a horrible accidental demise - which I'd rather not talk about.
I like that last photo on your post with the helmets. Hilarious!
I'm so sorry your father denied you the pleasure of bonding with an animal … perhaps he felt threatened? Scruffy was very lucky to live and be loved by you.
DeletePraying for your and Tom's good health.
ReplyDeleteWe've always had dogs. Good company. Our old neighbour has just got a dog. I saw him with one yesterday. I think he called him "Help" because all day yesterday he called him, "Help ... Help ... Help ..." He must have found him because he eventually stopped calling.
This morning there was an ambulance outside his house. Don't know why.
God bless.
Oh my! Prayers are sincerely appreciated!
DeleteOh, those helmets! May look funny, but they are steadfast insurance during scary weather, that's for sure. Praying that Tom's health improves by leaps and bounds, Mevely.
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
I figure worse comes to worse, we might always serve as comic relief to the first responders!
DeleteWe put life jackets on our chickens this week:)
ReplyDeleteOMW … I shouldn't laugh; really, I shouldn't.
DeleteOh my! Those helmets are adorable. You get my ***BIG SMILE *** award for the day! Guess you are prepared! I think I've humanized all my pets, it's was heartbreaking to loose them. It is a joy though to enjoy the grand dogs at this point in my life. I lived without a dishwasher for most of my life, but they do come in handy when company comes. So far the one I have works. Your new home has come with a few unwanted, unneeded surprises. Hope that therapy works for Tom and that the therapist suggestion does too.
ReplyDeleteLove and hugs,
'ma'
Thank you for saying that, Pam! Ya, it's a good thing I love this place, warts and all.
DeleteOh no! Leaky dishwasher brings back HORRIBLE memories for me!!! Good luck with that - thank goodness you found it fairly quickly! Great chance for a new floor, right?? Hugs!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteYa, they sure don't built things to last anymore. We just discovered the front of our new (last November) Whirlpool oven is coming loose. :(
DeleteI feel like I should break into song now: ♫ "All the pets I've loved before..." ♪♫
ReplyDeleteWe've had a lot of them over the years, and although every single one was special, our cats and dogs took the largest part of my heart. Yeah, we humanized them. Loved them. Mourned them when they died. But I wouldn't want it any other way.
The most exotic critter that's ever lived here was an African spurred tortoise named Yoda. He was fairly small when we bought him for our daughter, and he had lime green eyes and a shell that was ruffled around the edges. But he grew... and grew... and GREW! Before our daughter moved out on her own, half of her bedroom was a habitat, and when she got her own place, Yoda had his own room. But she ended up giving him away to a fella who ran a small animal farm. He even had an African spurred tortoise, which was cool. In retrospect, it's kinda weird to have a pet that's gonna live for so many years, you have to make arrangements for it in your will... so it's a good thing she gave him away. He was waaaaay too big to have as a pet.
As per the empty food containers you found? It could've been worse. Suppose there had been nasty decaying food in them...?
Have a super weekend! I don't think we need storm helmets here, but we may need to start building an ark...
True. I think I may have fibbed when I said I wouldn't be humanizing any more animals. That Yoda sounds so cool; does he send cards now and then?
ReplyDeleteAlas, no. I'm afraid he waddled out of our lives for good.
DeleteCaraleigh was definitely amazing. I've loved all our dogs but our Maggie was awesome. I always wonder what dogs are thinking. Sorry about the kitchen issues. It will be nice to have new tile!!!
ReplyDeleteA bittersweet post today! I had my boy Boots, he was the greatest feline friend a girl could ask for. He understood me and he never left my side when I suffered awful migraines. I miss him and he has been gone nearly 7 years He was born our our wedding anniversary so that made him extra special. My hubby had SPats, a part black lab who was a gift from his grandfather. He lived on the farm with them for a bit and Grandpa Blackwell fed him whole sirloin steaks. He was a unique friend to Avery and he did not want any more pets after his passing. SIlly boy waited for the Broncos to win that first of back to back SUper Bowls and than he passed away. :-(
ReplyDelete