Monday, February 18, 2019

Oh, I wonder, wonder




Color me curious.
Is it just me, or has anyone else sent someone a Facebook friend request by mistake?

I'll never forget the time I opened my tablet and saw where so-and-so had accepted my friend request.  Not only could I not recall ever having done so, but this was/is someone I thoroughly dislike!

Unfortunately, over the years this has happened again and again.  More often than not, I don't even know these people!  So why did they accept my request?  And why am I all reluctant to hurt their feelings and unfriend them?



When you choose to dine out -- whether it's breakfast, a casual lunch or relaxing dinner -- what's most important to you?  The food, the service, the atmosphere?

Obviously, I think we'd like all 3.  But recent experiences make me vote for service.  Maybe it's my exaggerated appreciation for a certain menu item that keeps me wanting to return.  In spite of the poor service.  

We're hardly demanding types; I always say 'please', 'thank you' or, 'when you've a moment' ... and when possible, use our server's name.

We don't eat out often, but the last few times have been really disappointing.  Friday was the worst!  Servers were moving about like drugged snails, pointedly avoiding customers' eye contact.  Two couples up and walked out ... but darn it, I wanted my Poblano omelet!  It was near 30 minutes before our food arrived, and poor Tom was fit to be tied.  

Oh my, you should have seen his face when he asked our server, "Do you have straws?"
"Yes", she replied.  (1-100, 2-100, 3-100, 4-100, 5-100 ...)  Then, "Would you like one?

Do you ever feel like you could jump in and do someone else's job better?  Sorry.  I've never worked in food service and I'm pretty sure many days are thankless.  But it doesn't take a degree in psychology to pick up your feet, stick a smile on your face and practice empathy.   Fake it 'til you feel it.   Mostly I blame the manager who stood apart.  Instead of 'working the room', offering apologies and complimentary beverages, he just stood there.

So why on earth am I sitting here days later, feeling guilty for giving her less than my usual 20% tip?   What would you do?




Dear Abby,

I've really come to love my new church family.
Except. I struggle to embrace some of their ways, their missions.

  Unlike the Unity church we attended in Phoenix, this part of the Country seems far more traditional, Bible-centered.  I don't know, less contemporary.

A few of the ladies are becoming friends.  But each week without fail, someone will invite me to join their Bible study.  In all honesty, I really can't think of anything I'd enjoy less … but shrink at the thought of saying so!   Any words of wisdom are sure appreciated!


* * *


Finally, a PostScript poser -

How do you refer to your weekly disposables?  Trash? Garbage? 
I recently spotted a sign aways down the road, prohibiting 'rubbish.'  I'm not sure if that's a southern 'thing', but it sure made me smile! 



Thanks for visiting … have a great day!


Hugs,
Myra



    


30 comments:

  1. rubbish sounds like England or Europe. trash is what I call limbs and leaves, garbage is in the garbage can from inside the house.
    I was raised in churches like you describe and they are different than others. the thing about Bible study is the teacher. Some make it fun and very interesting, others are horrible. some are like fun clubs that study the bible, some are sit and die of boredom. my gift is teaching, so yes I have been to a lot of places that I wanted to stand up and say let me teach this.. which answers the yes I have been to stores and restuants that I wanted to do it myself. you could try the study and if you hate it don't do it.. I always ONLY do what I want to do and always have. like our TOPS meetings, they have all kinds of meetings sometimes an hour drive and sometimes 2, they stay for 4 hours. when people kept bugging me to know why I don't go to any of them, I said I have a problem listening to speakers, and sitting kills my tail bone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good points. I suppose it wouldn't kill me to try one. Thanks for your examples!

      Delete
  2. Oh Myra! I agree with the server thing! I think it is hard for the generation of the iPhone, texting and Social Media to make eye contact period which in turn makes it tough for them to do a good job at being a waitress or waiter! We are constantly reminding my nieces and nephews about eye contact...it is a thing of the past - sadly! This who9le post made me chuckle because it is all true. PS - I call my trash - trash! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll never forget being passed over for a job because (the interviewer confided to my husband) I didn't make eye contact. Hard lesson!

      Delete
  3. Call it garbage here. To me, rubbish is silliness. Isn't that also a definition of the word?

    I would write a review on Yelp about the restaurant. Not a favorable one either. Not sure if the owners or managers monitor it to see about comments left, but it may help improve service.

    I've unfriended lots of people on Facebook over the years and not one has ever come back and asked me about it, so I wouldn't feel too bad if you do unfriend someone; they might not ever know.

    Funny about the church in that we are struggling with finding a church that is more Bible centered than the one we are presently going to. They are spot on with who Jesus is, but the sermons just aren't cutting it with maybe the depth of what we have gotten from previous churches. Anyway, that being aside, my first thought was "try it, you might like it" especially the fellowship of being around others. I've enjoyed the Bible studies I've gone to in the past; there's a real sense of intimacy and belonging there, but that's just my experience and thoughts. You can always give it the answer "I'll pray about it" but then of course do pray about it (at least one pray LOL)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your suggestions! Ya, I went to Yelp and discovered nearly a dozen folks (since last Fall) beat me to it. Sad that corporate doesn't seem to notice/care.

      Delete
  4. We refer to our disposables as garbage and trash. I think the service everywhere has gone downhill. I can say that when I went to Bible study I enjoyed it but I also learned many years ago that it is okay to say no!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to grow a spine, huh? Saying 'no' is hard!

      Delete
  5. It sounds like you have found a friendly church, and I dared to attend a Bible study maybe 10 years ago for the first time. I loved it and it is great to deepen friendships while doing the study. At our church the studies last about 10 weeks, and then a new one forms and I join the next one. So I do recommend it.
    The word rubbish makes me smile for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terra! I've always loathed history; but I'll never know if I don't try.

      Delete
  6. It would be hard to say yes or no.

    The server deserved a minimum tip. Her service was bad, and she needed to realize that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to leave but 10%, then changed it to 15%. I think the fault lies with whoever hired her with no skill set or training.

      Delete
  7. We call it trash.

    We like our new church but I agree with you on all the 'joining' you feel obligated to do. I am not a joiner and worst of all, I do not enjoy being in a room full of women...

    I agree with service being the most important part of our eating-out experience. We don't tip well if the service is bad and may not go back because of bad service... even if the food is great.

    I don't feel bad anymore about unfriending people on Facebook. Just do it. Chances are they won't realize it for at least a few months anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I'm not a 'joiner' either! I've not a huge FB 'tribe' but have ixnayed 20-some. (Whew, that felt good!)

      Delete
  8. YOu make me smile. At times I feel guilty for 'tipping' at all, but I have never worked at the job either, BUT,but If I worked for tips you bet I would 'treat well' the tippers and make sure service (even apologies) would be delivered. LOL
    Yes I have folks who have accepted my friend requests & I don't know how they got it, but knowing my lack of knowledge of FB, I might have clicked and sent one.

    I have attended the same church in NC off and on for 50 yrs. Yes I still get invites to prayer meetings and Bible study, I think I just smile. Heck I don't know how to say it, but I just don't 'join in'.

    I just try to be nice to show 'thanks for the invite' and assume they will get the message when I don't show up. Smart people will get the message (I think). But I do sympathize, if that helps. LOL Love you girl!!!

    Hug Bro Tom for not pitching a hissy fit!

    IT'S TRASH OR GARBAGE! I think I use 'rubbish' for useless words on paper, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't been on Facebook in many (many) years, but I remember getting friend requests from people I didn't know. If it's from a person you don't like, just ignore it.

    I seldom eat out and - please don't shoot me - I don't believe in tipping. Why should I tip someone for doing a job that they're already being paid to do?? It's not my fault if they don't make enough money to put junior through college.
    Hell, I hardly have enough money to pay for food...

    The Bible study issue is difficult. I know that you don't want to hurt anyone's feelings...but don't get involved with something you'll probably regret.
    I have nothing against studying the Bible, but committing yourself to do it just to be polite is ridiculous.

    I don't have any good advice on this one. Just a polite but firm decline??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way - I always called it "garbage" but nowadays it seems to be "trash"

      Heck. That's rubbish.

      Delete
    2. Ya, that's it! I've a fear of commitment! :) Sad to be sure, but if employers were to pay their wait staff even minimum wage this sort of thing would be a moot point.

      Delete
  10. Here in Empire, we call it Gar-bage with the second syllable emphasized :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nothing worse than poor service in a restaurant. We don't go out that often, either, as Danny is such a marvelous chef, so when we do, we expect the best. Both of us do have past experience with working in the food service industry, so we are pretty critical. Of course, when the service is good, we tip the old 20%.
    Blessings, Mevely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your having been there, Martha, your perspective is sure appreciated!

      Delete
  12. You always seem to put a little bit of perspective on things and I love your posts. First off for me, anyway, the food has to be good, after that the service. Lately I've found little of either and prefer to eat at home. Second ? Bible studies ...I've done a lot on my own. But I have attended those that were actually at my church. I loved getting to know more both about the Bible and the people there too.But I think you've got to be comfortable with what you do. Third...I love the word rubbish...it can mean more than one kind of garbage. Ha ! Hope you have a wonderful week ahead!
    Love and hugs,
    'ma'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I know everyone's situation is different, but I really appreciate you sharing your own positive experience!

      Delete
  13. I once un-friended my self from a social media website and could not log in again.

    In France we went to a restaurant called "Mars" - no atmosphere whatsoever. It had tables outside on the sidewalk. As soon as we sat down and got our meals it started raining. Took me ages to finish the soup.

    We ordered the local delicacy - snails. They were faster than the servers so they jumped in our plates by themselves.

    I asked one of the servers, "Do you have frogs' legs?"

    He replied, "Oui Monsieur!"

    "Good," I said, "hop over to the counter and get me a sandwich!"

    Boo boom! It's the way I tell them!

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so funny! Now I'm sitting here craving escargot in warm garlic butter sauce. Ba-boom!

      Delete
  14. Some people automatically accept every Facebook request that comes their way...which is how a lot of spamming takes place.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I call it trash! And I no longer feel badly about leaving a lower tip or no tip at all. I think service is a thing of the past. Rarely do we get a really outstanding waitress or waiter. I'd be fit to be tied too. That is why I mostly get take out and just go home!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!