Thursday, April 23, 2026

Since I've been gone ....

 

Macie Ann
2003 - 2026










As some of y'all Facebook friends heard, yesterday afternoon we gave Macie Ann back to God.

Yes, she'd been suffering from congestive heart failure for some months, but we'd just visited her vet the day before.

I'm more than a little surprised at the enormity of my grief.  Sorry, I've been emotionally unable to visit or comment on blogs.  But y'all didn't come here to hear an old lady keening.  Loss.  We all feel it; we all experience it.  


So humbled when Pastor Janet showed up this afternoon with this pretty little plant!

Then, while we were standing at the front door suddenly a little white butterfly flew past her head.  (Superstition or not, yes, I believe.)



In other news!

Miss Butterfingers here recently smashed her cell phone, which necessitated a visit to the Verizon store -- where they made us a deal too good to pass up.  (IMHO)   

I'm learning to love my Pixel, not so much Tom.   Why?  Aside from an aversion to modern technology, this is the same fellow to takes perverse pleasure in giving telemarketers a piece of his mind.   Now, according to the salesman, these phones can tell if a call is legit.  If it suspects spam, the call's automatically sent to voice mail ... so Tom's even unable to answer.  Hee-hee!  (I really should curb my enthusiasm.)



Our "Gatherers" (ladies group) enjoyed our monthly luncheon at Outback.

I was a little concerned about their price point -- then delighted to read their Summer Specials:  3 courses starting at $14.99.  I began with a full-size Caesar salad, then a 1/2 pound "blooming" burger with broccoli side and a slice of cheesecake (to go).

Thinking there had to have been a mix-up, I talked Tom into going back the next day.  Seriously folks, we've both Big Appetites but couldn't finish our meals.  Bonus points because our burgers were cooked to-order (medium rare) perfectly.




Friday night we went to hear our friends Frank and Cindy performing "boomer-tastic" songs at the Smokehouse. 

(Disappointing food but great music.)  Whew, it's been a long time since we've been "out" after dark.  How'd I get so old, so fast?





Finally ...

It's not yet time for Friday Factoids, but I wanted to share this little gem.

Recently, as Tom's oxygen tech was leaving, Brad called out, "See ya next month!"
To which I replied, "God willing and the creek don't rise."  

You've heard that, too?   He stopped, turned and asked, did I know what that meant?  Well, ya!

Not so fast, Myra.  According to lore, the "creek" doesn't refer to a body of water, rather the Creek Indians.

Gotta stick that one in my bonnet, next time I'm playing along with Jeopardy!



And on that note!  
It's going on Canapra time. 

I'm going to do my best to have a good Friday, and hope y'all do the same!


Warm Hugs!
Myra









37 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear about Macie Ann. It is so heart-breaking when we have to put our pets to sleep. They leave such a void in our lives. It's best to remember the good times and the fact that we looked after them so well.

    It's so nice of Pastor Janet to call with a gift for you. How kind of her.

    I am praying for you and Tom, Mevely. God bless you both always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our pets certainly are part of the family. How is her sister doing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday when she wouldn't eat (etc.) was concerning. This morning's better. Thank you for asking!

      Delete
  3. Macie Ann was a loved and cherished part of your life, Myra, and deserves every tear shed and every memory of her presence honored. Our last dog, Maggie, was so beloved by the entire family. She was God's gift that we could never have imagined to have such a positive, loving impact. I never knew that reference to the "creek don't rise" before you enlightened us here, Myra. It does make sense when one takes time to understand the history of where we live here in the South. May God comfort you in the loss of your beloved pup. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, our beloved fur babies are gifts from God.

      Delete
  4. I saw that Macie Ann passed away on Facebook. There are only a few things sadder than losing a beloved pet. I am so sorry you lost her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In Ohio, we say "... if the CRICK don't rise" meaning a flood (not Indians). LOL I'm so sorry you had to say good-bye to your sweet girl. I know how much it hurts. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I'm so sorry about your precious Macie Ann. It's been a hard month for us, grieving our Laydees and it hardly seems poss. I keep thinking its all been a bad dream. Just know, I feel for you in this loss. It really hurts. How's your other puppy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know you understand. What an awful sorority in which to belong. At the same time, how blessed we were.
      Thank you for asking about Grace. Yesterday was concerning, but I think she's coming around. We're surrounding her with lots of love.

      Delete
  7. Keeping you all in prayer...sending you much love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Continuing to keep you and Tom in my prayers. I know this has been a difficult and exhausting week for both of you. Hey, that's a great deal on the food. I mean, a time you can get a salad a burger, sides and a dessert for $14.99.... this brings sunshine to a day. I am glad to learn the folk lore of the meaning of this idiom.. I've said it many times without knowing. Thanks for sharing this info. Blessings of peace and comfort.. hugs to you Myra

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well skit skat, how about that . . . creek that is. After all these years and my love for Roy and Dale, I always thought the creek referred to water! lol Age and CHF took our Bitsy Baby last year, I'm still missing her. I'm going to check the Outback here and see if they're offering the same special!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am right there believing the creek was referring to water
    So sorry about Macie Ann. Fur babies are family members and the loss is hard, but you loved her enough to let her go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for saying that, Anne. I still struggle with the guilt.

      Delete
  11. Hugs ... hugs ... hugs ...
    Love you and am praying for peace and comfort.
    Ummm yummm on the Outback goodies. We may have to hit that restaurant too.
    As I get older (than dirt) that learning curve is getting steeper. New technology is a tad mind boggling.
    I never knew the meaning of that saying either. Its interesting to find out the true meaning for sayings... like "mad as a hatter". Saw the story of how that saying came about. In the very early 1800's men especially worked in a hat factory -since most men wore hats all the time. The curing solution was Mercury and they were slowing being poisoned from it. It was mercury nitrate used to treat and soak fur for felt hats. Inhaling the fumes caused tremors, hallucinations and erratic behavior.
    So now you know more than you probably ever wanted to know (:0)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  12. I looked up that saying about the "creek don't rise" on Google, and here's what I got:
    "AI Overview
    "Lord willin' and the creek don't rise" is a popular 19th-century American idiom, likely originating in Appalachia to describe making plans contingent on God's will and, literally, water levels not flooding to stop travel. While sometimes falsely attributed to 18th-century diplomat Benjamin Hawkins referencing the Creek Indian tribe, it is a common expression of unpredictable, often extreme, Southern weather.
    Wikipedia
    Wikipedia
    +4
    Key Aspects of the Phrase:
    Original Meaning: The phrase combines biblical submission ("Lord willin'") with practical, rural American challenges (wet-weather creeks preventing travel).
    The "Creek Indian" Myth: A popular internet theory suggests it was written by Benjamin Hawkins in the late 18th century, referring to the "Creek" Indian tribe. However, this is considered a modern fable, as the first printed instances appeared much later (1851), and the context commonly refers to physical water.
    Popularization: The phrase was notably used by Tennessee Ernie Ford as his television show sign-off and is a staple in Appalachian vernacular, expressing a cautious, resilient, and faithful outlook on life.
    Earliest Written Source: It was first found in print in 1851 in Graham’s Magazine as "Providence permittin', and the creek don't rise".
    Wikipedia
    Wikipedia
    +4
    The phrase emphasizes that one can plan, but ultimately, they are dependent on divine permission and natural conditions. "

    So, I'm going to keep saying it the way I believe it was meant to be said,talking about water rising...which, here where we live we aren't in much danger of happening anytime soon. Lord willin', I wish the creek would rise a little bit and fill my pond! LOL. Interesting information. I had never heard that part about the Creek Indians before, so that's why I had to look it up. It is interesting to consider, however.
    My dear Myra, I am so very sad about your sweet Macie Ann, and I know this has been so hard. My heart breaks with you. I know how sad we were over our sweet Sunshine Kitty, and we hadn't even had him very long at all, but we got awfully attached...so I can imagine how hard it would be to say good bye to such a dear little friend. (((HUGS))) I'm glad that Grace is doing better. Praying for her too. I'm glad you are getting out and about and that deal at Outback sounds really good. We don't have one near us, but Chili's has a similar kind of deal for lunch or supper, so we go there sometimes to take advantage of it. One day at a time, dear friend. Allow yourself that time to grieve. It can't be helped. more hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so interesting. Thank you for taking time to share the "other side" of this quote.

      Delete
  13. My heart aches for you. I'm sure that little white butterfly was a sign from her. Interesting about the phone. Haven't heard of that one. Yum about Outback. Interesting about that creek water you shared. You take care.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so sorry about Macie Ann. And our blogs aren't worth anything if we can't talk about what is really going on with us.

    We say, "The good Lord willin' and the creek don't rise" a lot. We learned it from one of our contractors about forty years ago and immediately adopted it. It clearly means that something unexpected could always derail our plans. It's a sensible attitude towards life.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My deepest sympathies, Myra. I know the grief you mentioned. Too many times I've felt just that kind of grief over a special furry friend. Sending my love and prayers for comfort.

    Grace & Peace,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so sorry for this most difficult loss. Pets are our constant. They are always home and when they are not it seems less a home

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh! I am so very sorry for your loss. Allow yourself to grieve. I must admit that I have grieved harder for our pets . . .than I've grieved for some people. Sending a hug to you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so very sorry to hear the news of your sweet pet's death. I know how hard it can be. After all they are our babies. Always good eating at outback I've had their blooming onion, but never had a bloom burger! I bet it's good. Try to hold on to only the good memories! They get us through the sad times! Love, ma

    ReplyDelete
  19. Checking on you? I hope your heartache is easing some... hugs.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!