Gosh, how can it be Friday. Already?!
I want to recap my week before it, like many things, becomes a fuzzy memory.
Last weekend we were able to celebrate Easter with the family -- who arrived bearing belated birthday swag ... and cheesecake! How they spoiled me with an array of fancy (to me) skin creams and serums. For a minute, I thought I'd been dropped into an old episode of Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous. (Anyone remember?)
I have to admit, our meal was tasty ... the conversation even better.
But! I'm inclined not to believe everything I read online. By all accounts a 6# chuck roast should be cooked on low 8-10 hours. I got up at 2a to prep the meat -- but come 10 it was close to being over-done. Close call!
🪻
The next day we'd a new-to-us destination for Tom's cardiac tests. So excited when, several months ago, we learned UAB was offering an alternative facility for those not wanting to navigate downtown Birmingham. Yes!!!
Reality check. UAB-West isn't really that far removed ... then, more than a few people were telling me, Bessemer's supposed to be the "most dangerous" city in the nation. Okay, then! I put my ID and credit cards in my stealth arm wallet and said a prayer for travel mercies.
Turns out, the hospital is beautiful; everyone was more than accommodating. We didn't see anything faintly resembling mean streets ... but have to admit, coming home we saw more of the city than I wanted. I'm giggling about it now, but the app on my phone took us on 30mph, winding two-lane streets and through mid-century neighborhoods 'til we didn't know which way was up! Thankfully, by the time we reached Alabaster I spotted a sign to I-65. 'Google Girl', you're fired!
🪻
Wednesday I finally broke down and had my ears RE-pierced. (Curious, how skin knits itself back together when I quit wearing earrings after retirement.) I know my memory's not what it used to be, but today's protocol? It's not a Big Deal, but 3 times a day for the next 6 weeks I have to sterilize ... then not wear anything except studs for the next 6 months.
Makes one wonder how those girls who used to pierce themselves with an ice cube and a needle made out, lol.
🪻
Did I tell you, we Tom decided to kick DISH network to the curb and go with Spectrum streaming? It's a long, ugly story -- not inexpensive -- but we're back to DISH. In the end, no-one could provide a 'fix' allowing him to stream audio through his hearing aids. The internet was not what we paid for.
Because 'someone' is more than abashed, I don't have the heart to continue pouting about not getting my favorite NBC programming. Until powers-that-be kiss and make-up, I've discovered Amazon Prime allows me to rent individual episodes of One Chicago and watch on my Chromebook.
🪻
... and so it goes.
Unfortunately, the weeds out back aren't going anywhere ... and I'm running out of excuses.
But first, coffee.



I've thought about getting my ears re-pierced, too, Myra, as I quit wearing earrings when I retired. I do have so many lovely ones that I should be wearing. Glad you didn't get lost or worse on your trip to the new hospital facility, and happy to know you had a great Easter with your family. Have a wonderful week!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Martha! Blessings!
DeleteAbout 15 years ago one ear was closing up so I had that one done. I wear earrings everyday. It's my go-to jewelry that I enjoy. My aunt pierced my ears when I was ten, using the old ice cube method.
ReplyDeleteYeah you don't want to get lost in bad areas. Every time I flew to Alabama, my family wouldn't allow me to rent a car to drive up to them in Cullman. I'm pretty independent and street wise but they made me think I'd definitely be in harms way.
Yum I like a slow roasted chuck roast.
I hope you have a enjoyable restful weekend.
I'm not much 'into' jewelry, but with my new over-the-ear hair cut, I'm hoping this will catch on.
DeleteI'm one of those needle and ice cube girls! I was 15. Alcohol was used, but probably not three times a day. One ear piercing is lower than the other so when I hold my head straight, my earrings are not hanging evenly... so there is that!! LOL A tipped head looks more friendly, don't you think? I love my WAZE GPS on my phone. Give it a try if you haven't found it. xo
ReplyDeleteCome to think of it, yes. More engaging ... 'come hither', even. (lol)
DeleteI'm going to check out WAZE.
Glad they provided a closer destination for treatment. Drives into big cities can be terrifying! I find my ear holes trying to close up if I don't wear my earrings too. I just push the stud through and it works for me. I've never let them close up completely though. Weeds do grow faster than anything. Whether it rains or not, they tend to grow faster than the grass does. Happy weeding to you! Love, ma
ReplyDelete*Chuckle*
DeleteThank you, Ma!
So thankful your hospital trip went well. It is so frustrating/frightening to go somewhere new and with heavy traffic. Praying for you both.
ReplyDeleteTechnology these days can be so confusing. Especially when changing from one TV/Internet provider to another. Over here, the same company would provide you with TV, Internet, home phone and email address. So if you change company you have to tell everyone your new email address.
God bless.
Yikes, I wouldn't even want to think about that. What a hassle ... and what if you forget someone!
DeleteUmm yumm that slow roast sounds delicious. I'm so glad you had a lovely Easter/birthday time with family. I love being pampered too.
ReplyDeleteThe older I get the more disconcerting traveling to new places gets. Glad the hospital turned out to be a good place.
I wear earrings every day. They usually are small hoops and I feel naked without them. I think the rules for your new piercings are a bit too ... too !!
Take care of your ears and keep them clean and just go from there. That's me talking from my experiences of 50+ years ago ! (:0)
Don't get me started on the weed issue. Its like Groundhog Day!!
Sue
48 hours after the fact, I think you're right. If a body part gets infected and falls off, at least it's only an ear. LOLOL!
DeleteOh girl, you took me back to my old stomping ground! I lived in Jasper until 1999. Birmingham was second home just about. And, I made the trip down to Montgomery to visit my sister regularly. So, thanks for the journey... Glad you didn't get mugged! haha.
ReplyDeleteSo unlike me, I'll bet you're not the least intimidated by Birmingham. If you happen to wander this way again, please holler!
DeleteGosh, your trip to the hospital sounds a lot like our trip to the eye doctor, except we were in the wild wilderness woods and then a long dirt road...there was NO one in sight, which was a little scary if we should break down...but God was with us and we made it in plenty of time. Pierced ears! Would you believe mine have never been pierced? My mother wouldn't let me do it when I was a teen, and by the time I got married I really didn't care about it because I was too busy having babies and didn't want them pulling earrings out of my ears. But now that I am old I wish they were pierced because it is so hard to find decent clip on earrings and I love to wear them to church, etc. I have a few, but the tend to fall off or pinch too hard. But at this stage in the game, I don't think I want to go through what you're going through, so I'll just stick with what I've got. You are braver than I am. Your Easter/birthday/etc. sounds wonderful. Was that recipe for the roast in a crock pot? I know I usually cook mine all day in a crock pot, but I know I wouldn't do that in a conventional oven or on the stove top. I'm glad you discovered yours was done in time to rescue it. Our Easter ham was overcooked, and Rose followed the directions carefully. We've decided that her oven is overheating or something is wrong with the thermostat and it's time for them to think about replacing it, as the glass top burners are not working right either. This is the second time the ham got overdone when I know she followed the directions exactly. She's a good cook and I'm so thankful to have her help with our meals.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you are safe and sound, etc. I enjoyed your post as always. Have a blessed weekend.
Not so brave, Pam ... just in the mood for something new -- especially with my new over-the-ear hair cut.
DeleteYes, this roast was done in the crock pot; I'm loathe to turn on the oven again until next Winter.
But first coffee, that's the rule I live by. It's amazing what you can find on the internet, and youtube. I think I would have been just a little upset with someone over the timing of your roast. I mean, who wants to get up at 2 in the morning for nothing!? It always excites me when we can find medical facilities that fit our needs close to home. We hate going into Houston, the last time was when Mr D had his by-pass surgery. Surgeon's office was downtown, I was so glad our daughter took us. Yea Tracey!! My ears are double pierced and I never take my earrings out, except to clean them. I always thought they made you take off all jewelry before surgery, but when I had hip surgery 2 years ago they left my earrings alone. Hope you have a great weekend.
ReplyDeleteOh girl, just the thought of navigating downtown Houston gives me the vapors. (LOL) Thank goodness for our fearless young-uns!
DeleteGreat post! I'm glad the hospital is closer and is nice. That helps a lot. 💕
ReplyDelete😊
DeleteI let me ear holes go to - what made you want to get them re-pierced?
ReplyDeleteGlad you found your meat in time - all the birthday gifts.
And that is awesome about the closer hospital. Just be careful and alert.
Hello Dish - and you knew just to keep it all along - I get this.
Love the meme.
Just a whim, I suppose!
Deleteoh goodness - google gave you some horrible directions unless there was a wreck they were routing you around! You literally drive up 65 North and take I459W until you get to the hospital exit. You literally drove right by my exit!! I want to get my second holes repierced, but after reading what you have to do now . . .downtown Bessemer is not where you want to be, but you are basically on the outskirts of Hoover at the new UAB west.
ReplyDeleteWe had no issues getting there -- but this was coming back. Who knows what happened?!?!
DeleteOk next time you are leaving UAB West (which is technically in Bessemer but nowhere near the danger zone). take Bell Road southward turn onto Eastern Valley Road then merge onto 459 heading toward Montgomery. You will be just a couple or three exits before merging onto 65
ReplyDeleteMuch easier than navigating downtown
Good to know ... thanks!
DeleteIt does sound like you are a bit spoiled and it's done out of love. I love it!! I can not tell you how many times GPS has taken us through places that I wouldn't even want to drive through in an armored car. I had my ears re-pierced about a year ago. My ears are super sensitive, which makes me wonder why I did it. I was one of those who in the early years had my ears pierced with a needle and ice. CRAZY me. we have a different company at least once a month knocking on our door to offer us a better deal on our TV service. I'm too tired to have
ReplyDeleteto deal with it. Raining here today....I'm sure it's headed your way...
I get that! Some days it's easier not to sweat the small stuff.
DeleteHappy to hear that your Easter went well and the belated birthday gifts you got. Happy to hear that the new locations for Tom's testing worked out well for you. Sorry that your app took you on a wrong path home. That's very interesting about your ear piercings. I am so sorry about your streaming services. I would be very angry not having NBC. Hope that can get fixed.
ReplyDeleteFingers crossed!
Delete