Wednesday, December 18, 2024

Holiday Hodgepodge - Part 2

 











Thank you, Joyce!




What's one thing you want to get done before the calendar flips to a new year?

The state of our backyard is deplorable.
Given the state of both our backs, I'm going to bite the bullet and call on a father-and-son service team we've used in the past.



What's something that brought a smile to your face this year.

Every day!



What do you like on a cracker?  Do you have a favorite cracker variety?

I don't usually eat crackers but wouldn't say 'no' to Triscuit Rosemary and Olive Oil.
Any hard aged cheese, I'm in!



Do you have plans for ringing in the new year in a fun or special way?  Are you typically wake at midnight on the last day of the year?

Nope!  I've come a long way from those nights of artificial gaiety.

Cancel that!
I sort of miss dressing "to the nine's", dining and dancing -- but that was then.  This is now.  I'm simply content to abide in my happy place in comfy clothes, bare feet, with a book in one hand and glass of Cab in the other. 



What are 3 words that describe your 2024?

Blessed -- but at the same time...
Concerning
Hopeful (... yes, I'm proud to be an American)




Insert your own random thought here.


Don't forget!





Hugs, Myra





48 comments:

  1. If our neighbors weren't having something we'd likely be home too. Wishing you a very merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tree is so pretty through the windowpanes! And yes, I like those triscuits with rosemary and olive oil too. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always spend New Years Eve in the same way...watching the ball drop in NYC on TV. Sometimes I fall asleep, sometimes I manage to see the new year come. The biggest thing I need to do before the end of the year is to clean off my desk. It's piled high with all kinds of stuff. I love ritz crackers with peanut butter on them. They are one of my favorites I used to eat a lot of trinkets but they are now too salty for me. I love the pictures of the dogs. They are adorable! Love, ma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, I love salty food, too -- but it doesn't like me!

      Delete
  4. That's a lovely photo of your tree. We will get together with friends for NYE, but be home long before the calendar changes over to the new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wise to be home before the party crowd-goers get behind the wheel.

      Delete
  5. your beautiful tree brings back memories of my youth. back then most houses only had a tree, and it was always where it could be seen from the street out of a window. mother loved to ride and look throught the windows and she would love your blue lights.
    agree with what makes you smile, i am smiling now and in our house we smile and laugh out loud at Beau. Thank you Lord for our comfort dog.
    i love crackers, just about any, but Ritz is or was my go to. I even love saltines, and now i eat a lot of the saltines with unsalted tops. i put pb, or sharp cheese, olives, even catsup or mayo..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I call this our 'compromise tree.' Tom likes the colored/blue lights, while I prefer white -- so we bought one that does both. Ha.

      Delete
  6. "I'm going to bite the bullet and call on a father-and-son service team"

    That's what they are there for. ☺️

    Thanks for the bed to couch saying. Big smile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE THAT MEME - so true.
    I can see why your pups make you so happy.
    I am content and happy to stay home New Year Eve too.
    I am glad you feel blessed and hopeful. I think I understand concerned - but I think it is all going to be good.
    Glad you decided on getting help on your yard.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 100% on your random thought! As far as I know we will be home and comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm hopeful for the future of our country and proud to be an American, Myra. No partying on New Year's for this lady! Those days are long gone. I don't even stay up until midnight - LOL! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you are going to get help with your yard. Definitely the girls bring you lots of smiles. Yes, I totally agree with you on New Year's Eve. I can relate to your three words. Merry Christmas. Take care and God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Myra, I love your random thought..those are my sentiments exactly...
    I think we will have to bite the bullet and get some help in our big backyard too. Its getting out of hand and our bods are really slowing down...To be Continued.
    New Years Eve used to be a huge potluck couples party at our house. No longer the case. We are all still friends but seems everyone has moved too far away, including us. Now Dave and I celebrate at home. Since his birthday is January 1st New Years Day we say Happy Birthday and try to get some sleep as we are OLD and older than Dec. 31...
    We have been 1. Blessed in spite of many difficulties 2. Family is more solid than ever
    3.Adventures praying we have some fun adventures this year.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What wonderful memories! When someone has a birthday, I'm apt to wish them a 'Happy New Year' -- and in Dave's case, how true!
      Yessss to adventures!

      Delete
  12. Yes, it's been a concerning year in many ways. But we remain blessed and we should be grateful for it. The world may well be going mad but we should not do the same. Let us hope and trust in God.

    Wishing you and yours a truly wonderful new year like no other, Mevely. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reminding me, Victor. God bless!

      Delete
  13. love that beautiful blue tree!! silent night!! great answers that would match my replies. no NYE plans here.. I like my bed too much to stay up till midnight. Have a good one today

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your pretty tree. And I love staying home on New Year's Eve and going to bed when I feel like it. It's been a while since we stayed up until midnight. Sometimes we wake back up and say Happy New Year and go back to sleep! Yes, we are that old! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pam! I actually took that photo a couple years ago from the sunroom looking in.

      Delete
  15. Nothing nicer than being in my happy place, too!! Good call, getting help with your yard! Hugs, Myra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From my recliner to yours ... Merry Christmas, Terri!

      Delete
  16. Love that random thought and I think it's very true! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What gave me a smile this year? (I won't mention politics) Patriots arise!
    I like crackers with cheese - - but I'm hooked on peanut butter.
    I used to love celebrating New Years Eve, but now all I want is to be cozy at home.

    ReplyDelete
  18. For New Years it's staying home, in comfy clothes, maybe a light toddy of some adult beverage, then it's bedtime for us too. Driving late at night is too risky even in the country. Too many deer and inattentive or impaired drivers.
    Before I started eating keto I would make a meal of Almond crackers, beef stick, and cheese. Yum. Or maybe lathered in Jif Creamy peanut butter. I have a weakness for those Almond crackers.
    Merry CHRISTmas y'all! 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're Team JIF, too -- it's not just for kids anymore!

      Delete
  19. i have found the flavored Wheat Thins with cheese are very good for me. Love the visit. This crazy thing went down just after getting victors blog. How I am hoping to stay on to say, This is the second year in a row I have felt negative, and I hate it. I am glad to have personally a good life, the family situations drag me down.
    Love you thouogh and glad to have been here to visit your home Hug that Sax player. and be Merry.
    Sherry & jack trying to smile because the weatehr is great..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the words of my favorite Postmaster, "All we can do is love them through it." That's my wish for y'all.

      Delete
  20. What a lovely tree. And I really love cracker with cheese :) Wishing you a great day!
    Rampdiary

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wishing you a beautiful Saturday my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  22. We'll be spending New Year's like you, peacefully at home. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!♥

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Myra, to answer your questions on my blog I will attempt to do it.
    Yes, Sigrid's whole family is Norwegian. Her folks were born there and emigrated to the US in the late 40's or early 50's. 2 of the brothers were born there too. We used to have a real smorgasboard when all of the parents and their sister and brothers were living. Now its a bit more Americanized. In fact, 2 years ago we tried to have a Taco Bar Christmas party. Everybody loved it but it just felt like something was missing and we went back to more traditional fare. There are always Swedish meatballs ,special sausages, red cabbage ( which to me seems a lot like borscht, but not soupy). Of course there are gobs of pastries and a special homemade cake which is in the shape of a tree and flavored with almond. I love that flavor so its always a favorite of mine. I brought a huge Caesar Salad so that wasn't very Scandinavian but the bowl was licked clean. I'm Swedish so I sort of fit in on the food preferences. Everybody voted to not have Sardines though..I forgot what the Norse name for it is...something like Sil...???
    There is a tradition of having chocolate and rice pudding with a berry sauce over the rice pudding. There is an almond placed in 2 of the desserts. If no one figures out who got the almond when everyone is finished eating and chatting..the winners who still have the whole almond in their mouths get Scandinavian Chocolate as their prize. Just a fun tradition and the chocolate is yummy.
    The white elephant gifts are always fun as there are some things that everyone wants and tries to steal. This time it was a blanket and a Grinch doormat that got bantered around. Kind of rowdy but all done in good humor.
    Whew..I guess I wrote a novelette...
    Merry Christmas to you and your family.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much for colorizing your family's celebration! I love the almond contest!
      Besides the Swedish meatballs, the only foodstuffs I remember were my grandmother's lefse (yummm!) and the dreaded lutefisk suppers. (From which I'm still traumatized, lol!)
      Merry Christmas blessings to you and Dave!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!