Thursday, December 26, 2024

And then it was Thursday

 


I think!
Does anyone else have their days mixed up?


Christmas in Coosada?

Despite there being no snow, our 'town fathers' were kind enough to put up holiday lights last week.




 

I enjoy seeing the glow from my bedside.





As is customary, we attended Christmas Eve candlelight services.  Tom predicted it might be the case, but I was sure surprised to see our little church packed to the rafters.   Earlier this year (as a result of the disaffiliation debacle), the local Korean church lost their sanctuary. After some gentle negotiations, they've begun using ours each Sunday afternoon.   It was nice ... just different, hearing prayers spoken in different tongues.

Afterwards Tom zipped up his heavy leather jacket and grilled some pretty steaks.  Even canned asparagus is darned tasty when combined with lots of melted butter.


🎄



Knock wood(!), I've not fallen prey to the nasty bug that's going 'round. Nevertheless, yesterday I woke up with a bout of 'soul flu.'  Even this season's network commercials -- usually so memorable -- seem to have missed the mark. (*meh*)

Are any of y'all familiar with Donna Ashworth's writings?  I've begun following her on FB and something she penned sure gave way to what I was feeling.  In part ....

Sometimes I wake up sad. For no reason.
And I know, as soon as my eyes open, that today, I am sad.
I can choose positive thoughts, have a cold shower, run on the treadmill, but I will still be sad.
And counting my blessings, on days like this, makes me even more sad.
How lucky I am and how tenuous that is.
How others are not so blessed and how unfair that is.
And I’ve learned to accept these little bouts of sad, or soul-flu, as I have now come to call them.
They are not within my control, this I know.
I don’t fear them anymore, they can’t harm me - because I don’t ‘become’ them.
I just let my ‘sad’ in the door and say “hey, how are you, take a seat…but don’t stay too long please, I have things to do.”


🎄

  

Thankfully, by Noon we were over the river and through the woods to son and family ...


... where Penelope lay telling her secrets to grand-Pops (aka Santa)



As usual, Lois outdid herself in the kitchen.  I mentally told my Keto self to sit down and shut up ... and yes, it was worth it.  (Not something I want to do every day but heck, life's short!)

Pops and Gammy

Daddy Robert and Chloe's best girl



By unspoken agreement, Tom and I no longer exchange gifts; we'll probably buy something for the house and call it good.

What do you know?  These must have fallen off Santa's sleigh when he made a sharp right to avoid an incoming F-35.
 

No, I've no idea where that "A" came from!  Sent via Amazon by a long-time friend, maybe D. meant 'Alabama'?  

Troy hit it out the ball park this year!

See, more than 50 years ago following (my) surgery, 4 year-old Troy brought me a fuzzy, neon-green Tweety pillow.  How I loved that thing! ... and in fact, used to travel with it.
... Until one weekend I happened to leave 'Tweety' in a Ft. Worth hotel room ... never to be recovered.

I'd no idea he remembered, but ya. What a giggle we enjoyed!


🎄


Sitting here sipping on left-over pork chili stew while a cold rain falls outside, I'm not so inclined to do much.
Yet, there's a prescription needing picked up -- and despite all the containers of turkey, stuffing, green bean and sweet potato casseroles, banana pudding AND pumpkin pie that Lois sent home, we still need eggs and milk.   What first-world problems, right?

Color me, feeling richly blessed!
Like a quote from Max Lucado, "Gratitude is like dialysis because it flushes the self-pity out of our system.

Thank you, dear hearts!


Hugs, Myra






25 comments:

  1. Myra, this post is so poignant to me.. you described what I have been feeling too. Soul-flu !!
    Yes indeed...it will not be here for long but our gray dampish day isn't helping much. A good sleep (finally) after a wonderful Christmas Day has allowed a bit of "Son-Shine) into my soul.
    Oh that Tweety pillow is such a cherished treasure. Kudos to your son for knowing what it means to you.
    Enjoy your left-overs and embrace the coming new year.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes, when sadness hits, it is best to invite it in and ask it to not stay long. Soul-flu is a real thing. Oh, your Christmas looked divine, Myra, and didn't little Penelope steal the show? Such a thoughtful gift in your Tweetie Bird pillow, too. May God bless you, Tom and your entire family always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for not thinking I'm a nut job, Martha. I wasn't so sure 'soul flu' wouldn't be laughed at!

      Delete
  3. You are richly blessed! Love the pillow, too, but that journal. Wow. Every single day since Tom passed, I get that Jer 29:11 verse somehow in my day! It's just the way the Lord encourages me, I guess. But here it is, again! Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for blessing me with your thoughts, Mary!

      Delete
  4. I love your pillow and that Troy remembered and did that for you! Sad peeks in now and then here, too. Fortunately, it doesn't stay long. Recognized, given a nod, and sent on its way. Too many blessings here to give it time to stay for long. Love you, dear friend! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best wishes to Penelope and family. I'm so glad you all had a wonderful Christmas. I like the Tweetie pillow.

    When we feel low and sad it is, (I believe), that the devil is trying to make us feel guilty for our good fortune. The closer we get to God the harder he devil works to derail us. The answer is to offer our sad feelings to God in thanksgiving prayers.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I loved this post, Myra! That pillow, however, really stole the show! What a joy, what a treasure! How did you keep from crying, or did you? I would've. That's so special. And Penelope? What a sweetheart! It's been way too long since I got to hold a new baby. Re: Sad creeping in and visiting for the day...I usually lock the door shut and try not to let it come in, but sometimes it finds a crack or a window and worms its way in anyway. Sometimes we just need to allow it to come in and cleanse us from deeper sorrows that we tried to stuff down deep inside. But then, once that work is done, kick it out the door say so long! Open the windows and let the SONshine in! Oh, yes, our Christmas Eve service was packed also, as was our Sunday Service. It was wonderful to see our little church with standing room only! God is working in hearts and lives, I do believe. Merry Christmas and Happy New year my friend!! God bless you and keep you really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I may have 'misted up' when I realized what Troy had done. Love your 'keep you really good'!!! xo

      Delete
  7. Love the story and the Tweety pillow! I've experienced a few soul-flu moments myself. But thankfully they haven't stuck around too long. Penelope is so beautiful!
    On my post you asked about my dishwasher. It is a GE brand and we bought it at Home Depot. If you need any other information, just let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grand Pop Santa and his baby girl is the showstopper for me. and seeing you with Tweety is a very close 2nd. I like the thing about soul-flu. I have met it and shook hands with it, many times in this year, and she is right, it does go away. I would l over to see the Christmas street lights out my bedroom window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, I'm going to be sad when they take them down -- but neither do I want the school people looking inside, lol.

      Delete
  9. I have never heard of soul-flu - but I must admit I have had it at times myself.
    Santa and the baby is so sweet. Penelope.
    I love the pillow - that was a thoughtful gift for sure.
    Love this too:
    "Gratitude is like dialysis because it flushes the self-pity out of our system."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you went to church. Sounds like a lovely dinner. Donna's words ring true. What a sweet photo of Penelope with Santa. Nothing like a baby around at Christmas. I've seen those bags and I like the Trump glass. Awesome pillow. It all sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're far from perfect, but yes. It was a wonderful afternoon!

      Delete
  11. I will Amen Chattty, Yep, I have my bouts with sad and it ain't no fun. Great entry, and I feel better. Love the pictures. Also love you lady and the sax playing steak cooker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you're feeling better, Jack! Love y'all right back!

      Delete
  12. Your posts always make me smile, Thank you. Wishing you a beautiful Sunday my friend.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!