Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Life Happens

 ... aka, reflections and something called Goodness Grabbers.



Hey there!  

So, recent events had me in a poor state of mind.  Costly veterinary and unexpected home repairs meant I couldn't wouldn't justify our spending $400 to hear my Most Admired Man speak at a nearby rally last Friday.  

I held a 48-hour 'pity party' before remembering something Jennifer Rothschild related in our last Bible study:


Having made the "World's Worst Casserole" -- at Christmas, of all times! -- she phoned her father.  Instead of sympathizing he said, "No you didn't (make the worst).  You made a great memory."  If you'd like, you can read the article here."

He taught her to create "Goodness Grabbers."

At first, I imagined an adorable yarn puppet ... an ET-like doll, perhaps.  I wanted one of my own! 


No, they're "word magnets that attract the good in any situation; words or phrases that extract the best out of even the worst circumstances."


OK, I can do that.  (Haven't we all?)   Sure, I perused ETSY, but realized a physical Goodness Grabber doesn't exist.

Joy-bringers, giggle-lcious moments ... whatever you want to call them, here are few recent examples of the Goodness Grabbers in my life.



Remember when I said I ordered the girls a new bed for the front room?  They -- Macie Ann in particular -- were less than thrilled.  She growled.  Head-butted it, too.  And fought like a wildcat when I tried putting her down on it.

Leave well enough alone!  Still, after they each got 4 vaccines Monday afternoon, here's what I discovered:



Two of my favorite humans renewed their wedding vows -- at the same church my parents and I attended for years.


The last time I stood there the calendar read 1968 ...
.... but it looks just the same! 



Something to hold onto ...







Be good ... stay safe ...
I've grown accustomed to your face!

Hugs, Myra


















   

  




  




24 comments:

  1. You too? We've just had unexpected vet bills for our dog and a plumber who came in and worked all day. As well as expenses in the garden fence replacements.

    I like that church. Looks like a piece of history. Is it old?

    Continue to find small pockets of enjoyment in life. The memories will cheer you up in years to come.

    God bless you and yours always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Victor! I think the church was built in the 1940's. Relatively recent, considering where it's located (Santa Fe, NM) is the oldest capital city in the US.

      Delete
  2. I don't like or need bills of any sort. I am finding that even though we got a cost of living raise for Medicare - a good one - it hasn't made up for the inflation of the groceries we have to buy. It is absurd.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can lead a dog to a bed but you can’t make them lie down ha ha
    I like all of your goodness grabbers and it’s a really good idea and other words take a memory and make it a goodness grabber to remember when you had a fun time. Like my recent goodness grabber would be having
    140 pound dog sit on my lap.
    This week I had what I will call a goodness grabber moment. I called Progressive because my car insurance was so high I almost fainted when I saw it and when the automated system answered it was the best the easiest automated system I have ever used and when I talked to the automated person I did not have to push buttons or say it the way she wanted it she talk to me just like she was a real person and when I said I wanted to talk about getting a discount she said because you are a diamond client you go to the first of the line thank you for calling I’ll transfer you and she Transferred me and a half ring and Anthony answered and he was one of the nicest and pleasant people I have ever talk to Plus which he saved me $125. Not much and he laughed and laughed when I told him that that would help me to buy three loaves of bread this month

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW on that great experience! It almost sounds like that auto-person might have been A.I.?

      Delete
  4. And now I can't help but wonder who the most admired man with a $400 fee is. I am sure it is a fundraiser for something but that seems a bit steep.
    I tend to look for the joys each day brings, but I love the term Goodness Grabbers.
    And now when I screw up I know I am only making memories for someone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a political fundraiser. Your last sentence made me laugh out loud!

      Delete
  5. I hope the pups are okay and that the repairs are all good now. We just had to have our septic tank emptied which was unexpected and not a good thing to find out about on a Saturday night about 10:00pm. lol But it's done now but we were also informed that one of the mechanisms has broken and needs to be repaired sooner than later. Oh well, it's just money, right?!? lol I love the Anne quote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thank you. It was the girls' annual which included rabies + 3 other recommended vaccines.
      "It's just money!" -- That's exactly what my father used to say.

      Delete
  6. Unexpected expenses are never welcome, Myra, that's for sure! Love, love, love the photo of Troy and Lois at such a quaint church, one so crucial to your family's history. And isn't it an extra blessings when things you recall from your past haven't changed?
    Have a great week, Myra!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the phrase "Goodness Grabbers"! I have a lot of them but they didn't have that catchy name. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  8. We could have a real pow-wow about unexpected expenses!! But God is good. I like 'goodness grabber' and will keep that in mind going forward!! Love & hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this has been the year for unexpected expenses...but so thankful that God always manages to see us through and makes things work together for our good somehow...yes...they become stories to pass down to the next generation I guess...or at least to our friends here in blogland! And we can all relate! Loved the pictures of the "kids" standing in front of that church...how special that they renewed their vows there! Wow! Amazing! And yes, just leave the pups alone and they will figure it out. We bought little rugs for our grandpups and put one of their favorite toys on it and they went right to it. Sometimes you have to sweeten the pot a little bit. Or something like that. LOL. I hope this next week will be much better. Ours has been BUSY so far. I am so far behind. Love to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true about the pups. They don't care for change any more than their momma!
      Thanks for saying that about my son and DIL; I believe my parents were looking down with huge smiles on their faces.

      Delete
  10. I love the quote you ended with, it's so true. Thank goodness for the good things that happen with all the bad things to make up for. I always remember the good times when things get rough. I'm tougher than they are. My memories show life is basically good. More good than bad, these days ! Enjoy your summer and keep thinking positive. Love, ma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I'm tougher than they are" ... I love that so much!

      Delete
  11. I love what your dad said--a terrible (not deadly) moment is a memory. I love the pups decided the bed wasn't so bad after all. My Scruffy just tore all the stuffing out of his bed (from the underside so I couldn't see it). He is smarter than I am! lol. Trying to get back to blogging a bit so bear with me. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good looks will get you everywhere, right Scruffy? Gotta laugh while he's still young and playful.

      Delete
  12. Great post today, I loved your Goodness Grabbers♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like what you shared. That is a good attitude to take. I need to try that. So is Macie Ann still using the bed or was it just after the shots? That is so lovely about the renewing of their wedding vows.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!