Friday, August 11, 2023

Friday Fotos: Then and Now

.



I'd be lying if I didn't say, my loved ones' recent visit to New Mexico didn't give rise to a bit of nostalgia.  While Abilene, Texas is my heart's home(town) -- there are times my mind strolls through places which back-dropped my first 18 years. 

Come along with me ....



Does anyone else loathe change?
Receiving this text, why my heart recoiled.

Our quad might not have been much -- but my parents took enormous care keeping it neat and spruced up.


That same front porch ...
Where I began my sophomore year high school
... where the following year got my first kiss.
(You never forget that first kiss, do you?)

The back looking sad. Unkept.
I smiled, remembering that huge Ponderosa pine outside my second floor bedroom window.


Not so in 1962.
Trying to look happy on the occasion of my birthday.

Much to mother's dismay, I was never into dolls or doll-play,
... preferring, perhaps, to conquer walking the length of that fence top.


Second from the right, that's mother's kitchen window.
..... where a few years later my little son enjoyed his Christmas orange.

I'd completely forgotten my mother's bread box and canister set!
... which reminds me of a favorite quote:

"When looking at old photos, always pay attention to the background. There are so many memories hiding out in the space around the people being photographed."
Hiding in plain sight!



My mother's voice, "Stop using that drawer pull as a bottle opener."
Think I listened?  Just look!

How I laughed when, decades later, I discovered this on a real estate listing.  No-one ever thought to repair or paint over the dent!
(Does anyone else go back and Google their old address to discover realtor's listing photographs?)



Well, Life goes on.
... and if we're fortunate, so do we!


Now I have to get busy and load more offerings for the County Food Bank's Thrift Store.

Have yourselves a blessed day!

Hugs, Myra





























28 comments:

  1. if that kitchen sink is metal cabinets, it is the exact one in my mothers house they built in 1953 and move to KY came back in 1960 and lived their until the country took it and tore it down. same drawer pulls, same sink, and under the same exact window with roll outs. I see a coffee pot and fondue pot along with the bread box/cannisters, that are identical to mothers. In 1969 we tossed the breadbox/cannister out and replaced with the Sears Frogs breadbox/cannisters and frog curtains and 8 drinking glasses. got it for her for Christmas. I love looking at old photos, not just our family but all families. so many memories jogged because they remind me of ours. My first kiss was David McKinnister, one of The deans sons at daddys preacher school in KY... behind the pingpong table stored in the corner of the rock house that had all the things kids played with stored there.. never forgot it. I was 13..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Metal, yes! What a coincidence, our mothers' having the same sink and cabinets. I believe our quad, like much of the town's housing, was built by the government in 1945.

      Delete
  2. forgot to mention, my sons wore the same clothes your son has on. LOVE that book at the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That caught my eye, as well! Just something I saw on the web.

      Delete
  3. I loved seeing all the photos today and seeing what you had to say about them. Things to change but we keep them fresh in our memories. I often look back and reminence about family good times. This memories will never be taken away. The good times get us through the tough times ! Love, ma

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a plaid dress like the one in your birthday photo! Completely forgot about it until I saw you modeling yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm smiling b/c no 12-year-old I know would be caught dead these days in that dress.

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful post, Mevely, taking us back to your fond memories. It is so heart-warming every now and then to look back through our photo albums to times gone by and to loved ones no longer with us, but praying for us in Heaven.

    And I agree with you ... look into the background of photos. There's an old porcelain ornament in one of our old photos and no one can remember where it has gone to.

    God bless you and your family always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Victor! My photographs are priceless -- to me, anyway.

      Delete
  6. I wish I could remember my first kiss but I am thinking sadly that it was not with the man I fell in love with and married. Darn it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am going to look up my childhood address online. When my family sold it, it had had only one owner. Lots of thoughts and emotions when we visit where we grew up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just looked up the house we lived when my son turned 1 ... and hated what they'd done to it. Think black paint over the pretty red brick fireplace + gray walls. Ugh.

      Delete
  8. thecontemplativecat here. This was like a trip back to my childhood. Thank you! Good times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make me want to start humming, "Sentimental Journey."

      Delete
  9. I have never gone back to look at listings for homes I lived in but now I am curious! I really don't remember my first kiss. That's sad, isn't it!!? Loved my visit here today! Happy weekend! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let us know what you find, okay? Happy weekend!

      Delete
  10. I see a fondue pot on the countertop, much like one we had back when we were newlyweds! And yes, that sweet little red corduroy overalls...I am quite sure my boys had the same outfit...passed down to each of them. Going back in time is never quite the same as our memory remembers it...but still, it's kind of a fun thing to do now and then. I enjoyed this little trip. My Barbie has the same swimsuit, but mine is a brunette. I think since you were already 12 when you got yours you were past the age to appreciate her. I was ten and played with mine probably until I was 13, but I didn't want my friends to know it as they were more "progressive" than I was. LOL. However, I was also a tomboy and preferred playing outside most of the time. Thank you for taking us back "home" with you. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pam! I think fondue is coming back around again -- but I'm far too impatient to wait for my food to cook, piece by piece. (lol)

      Delete
  11. Great pictures and great memories. Yes, things have changed a lot! Barbies came after my times. I remember playing with paper dolls when I was little enough. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow, what a joy to have time to actually read rather than scan. I did get a big smile at the bottle opener because I did it. Shucks it was perfect.
    I got in trouble using the door crack on the kitchen door to pull my trumpet mouth piece out when stuck. LOL
    As always I enjoyed the visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to 'see' you again, Jack! I'm going to ask Tom if he can't envision kitchen door trick.

      Delete
  13. Dean and I have lived in the same area all our married life. Just recently we decided to dri.ve around and have a look at all of them. I the early years we rented for several years before we purchase our first home...we are now living in our 4th house. Not bad for 61 years of being together. Anyway, we enjoyed seeing all those old places, and yes, some were looking awful shabby.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a sweet post but change is never easy to handle. I don't like it either. That's sweet about the front porch. Love the photos. I had a bread box and my daughter uses it now. ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!