Friday, August 25, 2023

Foodie Friday

 


'Pretty sure everyone's heard:
One either "eats to live" or "lives to eat."   That pretty well describes my mother and father ..... and unfortunately, I inherited daddy's genes.

While he always had a trim physique, eating good meals was probably my dad's favorite thing in the world.  That's not to say it had to include expensive cuts or be visually appealing.   

In my childhood kitchen there was no such thing as real butter or ice cream.  Nope.  The grocery list included olio, ice milk.  And if they were on sale, Banquet TV dinners.  Pot pies.  10 for $1!




Today, I/we still enjoy no-frills meals.  Except for special occasions, I borrow from a favorite saying: "Work smarter, not harder." 
 

This recently made an appearance in my Test Kitchen:


thanks, Lyn!

Tom's only suggestion was to add shredded onion -- but that's just the way we roll.




I don't have a photo ...
but I also enjoy eggs -- prepared every which way -- at least 4-5 times a week.

When I read a recommendation to create tastier, fluffier scrambled eggs, I knew I had to try it.
  
I added a spoonful of water, then another of mayo.
(Okay, being I like a little food with my mayonnaise, I may have doubled the Duke's.)

What a difference!  Not going back, no way!




Still to come ... 
There's a can of biscuits fixing to explode if I don't use it soon.  This seems to define what Tom calls 'comfort food.'






A little levity --


True that!





Let's chat soon!
Hugs, Myra






























25 comments:

  1. that last tidbit of family of four, makes bob and I a family of 8 because it fits both of us.
    we had the same exact thing in our kitchen when I loved at home. I loved those pot pies. i never ate real ice cream until i married bob and he insisted on breyers peach.
    next time do a post on how many ways to eat eggs. i have trouble getting enough protein and eggs is the way I get it, but find it difficult to eat eggs. i can eat them scrambled if i cover in ketchup. or cover with cheese and put in a taco shell. i am going to try the egg gravy but will put it on my french bread i eat for breakfast. i love the canned biscuits but they don't love me. BTW canned biscuits were a staple food in mothers kitchen. we made donuts and donut holes out of them. used a pill bottle to cut the center and fried both in CRISCO.. yum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! (The donuts, I mean.) Let me know how you like the egg gravy, please. I'm afraid if I tell Tom before hand he'll wrinkle his nose and say 'no.'

      Delete
  2. I've never seen a portion size that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely love this one. We cracked up at the graphic on 'portions' I am still laughing and agree. The Egg gravy and the first potato recipe sounds good too.
    Still in Florida, will head back to NC for Dr. appt and RV coach work.
    Sherry & jack trying to smile in the heat....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always add a little milk in my scrambled eggs. Once, when I was out of milk, I added a little beer (!!). I wouldn't recommend it. Mayo (which I love) sounds like a good idea.
    Does ice milk still exist? My mom bought it occasionally - probably because it was cheaper than ice cream. Actually, chocolate ice milk was pretty good.
    Long ago, they had these frozen pies that were about 25 cents each. They were meant to be eaten frozen and were sort of like ice cream. My memory about these are vague.
    I remember once when my father was on strike from work and we didn't have any money - and we.had TV dinners for Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha on the beer-and-eggs. That sounds like something my dad would try. I suspect ice milk's gone the way of the dinosaurs. We usually got neopolitan so everyone could have their favorite flavor -- and poured Hershey's chocolate syrup over it.

      Delete
  5. I really like the potato recipe, that's something Mr D and I would like. I have never heard of egg gravy but I think we w ould like that too. The mayo in the eggs, hmmm....I'll have to think about that. Hey, if you say it's good, I'll take your word for it.☺ We didn't have a lot of tv dinners growing up, my mother was a great cook and always had something ready for us to eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom was a good cook, too -- well, a better baker. But most of the time my dad was at his security work 2nd shift so supper was a casual affair.

      Delete
  6. i too enjoy Eating good food. I'm trying to eat healthier and have found a lot of good r recipes. Nothing fancy, but I love good food. For example today I'm having tuna casserole and have made it healthier by adding broccoli.. The patato recipe sound very good. But I'd have to omit the onion soup mix. I love the flavor of onions and can have those.So I could sprinkle on some dried minced onions. I enjoyed your post today! Love, ma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea, using the dried minced! Less sodium, for sure.

      Delete
  7. I was surprised to hear what food you had in the house growing up. I must say those potatoes sound yummy and your scrambled eggs sound yummy too. Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A tasty post. I like the potato recipe, also the egg gravy. Must try them.

    So many recipes floating though my head right now. Can't think of a favourite; and I'm hungry ... again.

    Anonymous (above) mentioned broccoli. Did you know that the whole course of human history would have been different if God had said to Adam and Eve don't eat broccoli?

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post made me smile, Myra. I do love both potatoes and eggs; I have an egg every morning at breakfast, and I don't mind eating them at other times of the day, either. A winner all around!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm still laughing at family of four. I'm passing that on, too good not to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I get most of these pirated from my friends' posts on FB!

      Delete
  11. I am intrigued by egg gravy. Need to give that a try!! I enjoyed your post, Myra and I agree with the family of four meme!! Happy weekend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh egg gravy...Avery is a gravy man! haha ever see the old Jeff Foxworthy show where he ate at Don Groggins Gravy place (or something like that!) where gravy was king and poured over everything! Kinda like Trinidad, Colorado where they like green chili with all their meals! A side of green chili with that plate of fries m'am? Some green chili with your peas and carrots I have followed Lynn at Happier Then A Pig in Mud for years and her recipes are delightful! Have a great day !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yummy! I hadn't seen that show -- but I'm going to look and see if it's not on YouTube! Green chili is my favorite 'side'!

      Delete
  13. I forgot to mention go to Pinterest there are hundreds of juices and smoothies with veggies and no fruit.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!