G'morning,
Thank you, Joyce ... fellow Hodgepodgers ... and all y'all!
Shall we?
What's your earliest memory?
I couldn't have been more than 2, because I still slept in a crib.
Rather, I was standing and shaking the end in full 'hissy-fit' mode.
I guess my parents needed time to do what parents do, because they'd left me with my grandmother. I remember her standing and chastising, shaking a bony finger in my face.
I just did the math -- she was younger than I am now, but I always thought of her as ancient. And mean.
A willful child, yep!
What's something about you today that the old you would find surprising?
I actually look forward to attending church -- v. only going because my parents or others expected me to.
Do you like to fish?
Back in the day I loved deep-sea fishing. One of R's business associates owned a fishing boat at Galveston's Yacht Club. Once a year he'd host a weekend get-together for clients. I probably enjoyed the camaraderie more than actually catching fish.
This was my only claim-to-fame (in Acapulco).
Are you a fish eater? Favorite fish (to eat)?
I love salmon, but not so much the rest. Some years ago I developed a shellfish allergy -- plus I'm terrified of discovering bones in my entree.
Favorite way to prepare fish?
I don't!
What's your biggest first-world problem?
My cell phone's battery!
Granted, I probably spend more time fooling with it than what's normal, but by Noon it's about spent.
What one word would you use to describe your year thus far?
Blessed.
Sure, I get impatient. Dissatisfied.
Then I remember how, not 3 years ago, our world turned upside down. Perspective!
Insert your own random thought here.



I love fish and my favorite is Lake Erie Perch! I have it occassionlly when I go out to eat. I don't fix it for myself as it is expensive It compares to steak when it comes to price and I don't buy that often either, My favoirite place to go to eat is at Red Lobster and thankfully I'm not allergic to shell fish as I love lobster and shrimp! I usually have their coconut shrimp! Take care and enjoy your salmon it is very good for you ! Love, ma
ReplyDeleteOriginally from Chicago, Tom often speaks fondly about perch. Red Lobster is a great destination -- love their cheddar biscuits!
DeleteI need to words, similar though they are. Irritated/aggravated or irritation/aggravation. so I used four. Ha
ReplyDeletehte only fish i love is big flaky white grouper, fried or baked, prefer fried. I cook talipia a couple of times a month, fried but not deep fried, i too fear bones in all fish and still eat it carefully. fishing rods are only good in someone elses hand. boring! i bring a book, do not do boats, so only from shore reading.
fried shrimp is my favorite seafood. IBs say no to fried anything so can't have it.
i think my earliest memory is about 5 years old playing in the wash tub in summer. aunt helen and mother would fill three wash tubs and my cousin Andrea and my brother and I would sit in them like mini pools.
I used to LOVE getting grouper sandwiches at the Hurricane on St. Pete beach. Unfortunately, their quality went downhill -- not so their prices OR availability.
DeleteToddlers in wash tubs sounds adorable!
I like most fish, but don't cook it at home and when I'm eating out there's usually something that sounds better. This week, thanks to the excessive heat and humidity I have the same lion inside of me!
ReplyDeleteWouldn't it be great if restaurants were to offer 'sampler platters' where we don't have to decide?!
DeleteLove the lion, I think that might be my lion too! I long for Autumn also....please hurry cooler weather...I'm melting. Great hodgepodge today, btw, I don't bake or fry fish either.
ReplyDeleteIt's almost as affordable to order 'out' and leave the clean-up for someone else!
DeleteOne word to describe this year? Horrifying!
ReplyDeleteTwo months in the hospital. Still don't know if I'll survive the cancer...
I agree with you about cell phone batteries.
One of my earliest memories. I was learning to walk in the living room. I fell and hit my left eye on the corner of a coffee table. To this day I still.have a scar by my eye.
HATE fishing but LOVE seafood.
California red snapper,.halibut, cod, salmon, Pollack, mackerel (spelling), tuna, etc
I hate writing on this cell phone so I'll say adieu for now.
One more thing - I am an entirely different person today than I was in my youth. I am actually astonished at how I used to be - wild, living an extremely dangerous lifestyle, very self-destructive, constant adventure. Now I'm a hermit who wants nothing but blessed peace and privacy.
DeleteDefinitely about the seasons of our lives. I could write a book, citing my own differences. I've only known one person who enjoyed mackerel. That's a really strong flavor, no?
DeleteMackerel is strong and heavy but I like it. It's probably too fishy for some people.qq
DeleteFun answers and I especially love your inner lion...I think I have her sister as mine. lol I don't fix fish either unless it's the frozen kind. Have a great day!
ReplyDeleteI used to like the little supermarket diet dinners that featured cod and (I think) broccoli. Portion control's not my friend, lol.
DeleteWith this heat in Alabama, I think all of us look like the lion . . .who wears a fur coat!
ReplyDeleteYes! 😓
DeleteThat meme cracked me up, Myra! I hate it when I forget to charge my phone and find it "dead" the next morning - 1st World problem, for sure. Are we spoiled, or what?
ReplyDeleteThis comment might offend some of your readers, but I believe that the last election was rigged due to taking advantage of Covid and all those "mail-in" ballots. I'm praying for comeuppance in 2024.
Blessings!
💯 -- I'm right there with you, Martha!
Deletethecontemplativecat here. This brought back some memories . My first memory is of two year old me and my brother who was nearly 3 walking with my mother to gather eggs. Have a run-in with a rooster and it all went south then.
ReplyDeleteOh m'gosh, that sounds a bit terrifying.
DeleteMy earliest memory? We were so poor when I was born my Mom carried me home from the hospital in a plastic shopping bag from the supermarket.
ReplyDeleteI like fish and chips. Cod, haddock or plaice. Not so much shellfish, or shrimps, lobster or crab.
Wishing you a blessed year always.
God bless, Mevely.
LOL! Your blessings always mean a lot; thank you.
DeleteI love your meme - how true. I am not a big fish eater either - but I am trying. I am making fish sticks tonight. Does that count? Probably not.
ReplyDeleteI don't have an earliest memory - but I am sorry your grandma was mean to you!
I've not had fish sticks since 7th grade school cafeteria! (Of course that counts!)
DeleteThe other? I probably deserved it, lol.
I answered "Blessed" too. I do like fish but don't eat it as often as I should. I had a mean grandma too, but she didn't show up until her later years. Controlling and manipulative always, but mean later. Sad for her. Hugs!!
ReplyDeleteThat's a good way to look at it!
DeleteI like to fish from the dock/pier/surf but cannot handle the deep sea fishing. Makes me green thinking about it. Every time I walk to the ice machine for ice I try to remind myself some people don't have clean water. We're spoiled here.
ReplyDeleteI know, right? Here, I was fussing about trying not to spill the ice cube trays on the way to the freezer.
DeleteThat fishing experience sounded like lots of fun. Oh boy, I never want the mean grandma title. :) I like your answer to the old you question! Happy Wednesday.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much!
DeleteGreat post. We love fishing. Love to eat what we catch. First memory is standing, riding on the back of a trike. I think my sister was 'driving'.
ReplyDeleteThis year, the worst ever.
Looking forward for hitting the road after the worst is over. I wish I could stay on the road forever.
Love to you and Tom,
Sherry & jack really trying to smile and take life as it comes, but it is hard.
We're still praying for y'all! 💛
DeleteThat lion is priceless. I'm like you, autumn is so much better than summer. 😊
ReplyDeleteI can almost smell it!
DeleteYes, you sound like you were willful. That is wonderful about church. I only like salmon too. My phone is old and I charge it a few times during the day. Blessed is awesome! Love your random. I need to wake up that lion.
ReplyDeleteOur grandparents seemed so much older than grandparents do today it seems to me. Autumns my favorite time of year but this summer has been so lovely weather wise that I am pretty happy with it. Hoping your week is going well and that you have a lovely weekend
ReplyDeleteI have never been deep sea fishing. That meme was hilarious!!
ReplyDeleteThat lion is my BFF! hahaha Memory lane, Auntie Ang washing our hair, pouring boiling water over our heads and us yelping while she would say, suck it up crybaby and then proceed to yank our hair with a brush! Today I use a boars hair brush. Not only does it make your hair shiny, it does not yak or pull or make your eyes tear! I am sure she did not use boiling water but my sister learned to take care of her own hair needs quickly! Noelle had a BFF who goes fishin with her beau from Mississippi! I never thought I would see that pretty lil gal gutting a fish but then she raised three sons alone so there is that too! Heading to the chiro doc for an adjustment from those boulders hotels consider pillows! I will be returning. Love & Prayers for you and Tom and lots of love.
ReplyDelete