Saturday, April 9, 2022

Idle thoughts

 


... in 3-part harmony!


Thanks so much for everyone's prayers and well-wishes!  We suffered no ill effects from the storm -- unlike the gentleman up the road who lost his boat, Camaro and barn the same day his wife was taken off life support.  Returning home from Birmingham, he discovered volunteers wielding chain saws and equipment, working to shore up the house and clear a path to his door.   


That made me remember what Mr. Rogers' mother used to say:  "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping."


THEN, there's an unfortunate programmer out there who, no doubt, is still licking his wounds.  I'll let this official statement speak for itself:

Per the Montgomery, Alabama Emergency Management, "We have been made aware that the emergency sirens went off at 3:30AM instead of 3:30pm for the monthly test.  We apologize for the inconvenience and will address the issue promptly."

(Given all the severe weather, that mistake sure wasn't taken lightly.)


* * *


What-cha say, let's talk about my favorite subject -- Food!


After dropping the lady girls at the groomer, Tom suggested we stop by Front Porch Grille for breakfast.

Despite its enormous popularity, my fare's usually disappointing.  An exaggeration, perhaps, when I wrote in my food diary (that the) omelet was 'grotesque.'  Still ...


Not for the first time, I'm left to mourn the few keto-friendly options which exist.  Daydreaming of opening my own cafe:  "Low Carb, Mo' Carb and Lots In-between."

The signature dish would be Loose-meat Bowls: Build-your-own, with your choice of eggs (cooked to order), cheddar, walnuts, green pepper, chiles.


Were you a proprietor, what would your signature dish be? 



* * *


Do you have a favorite spot in which to read?

I've fashioned a nook in the sunroom; thankfully, it's not yet too warm to park myself out there, away from the television.



Friends, I'm soooo excited to share!
The book I finished has just secured a spot in my list of all-time favorites!  Curiously, had another blogger not mentioned it, there's little likelihood I'd have ever picked this up; it's not something in my preferred genre of mystery thrillers.


Here's what the good folks at Goodreads have to say:

"What would happen if we called on God for help and God actually appeared?  In Mitch Albom's profound new novel of hope and faith, a group of shipwrecked passengers pull a strange man from the sea.  He claims to be "the Lord."  And he says he can only save them if they all believe in him.

A fast-paced, compelling novel that makes you ponder your deepest beliefs ... it suggests that answers to our prayers may be found where we least expect them."


Because this touched me so deeply -- and it's due back at the library next week -- I've ordered myself another hard copy.

I'd love to hear if any of you have read it ... if so, your thoughts?


* * *

Well, it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.  I'm going to go sit outside a while and enjoy!

I hope you're enjoying a blessed weekend!

Hugs, Myra



 

 




 

29 comments:

  1. Mitch Albom is so a good writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for your neighbour up the road and the tragedy of losing his wife and home. Also thankful that you and yours are well after the storm.

    My signature dish? You'll have to ask our dog about this. He is the only one that appreciates my cooking. When I suggest I cook a meal they all vote for having pizza delivered.

    Nice place you have to read quietly away from the TV.

    God bless always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How true. Our dogs never criticize my cooking; they appreciate all the 'people food' they can beg, borrow or steal.

      Delete
  3. I read that about that poor man. Sending prayers that way.

    I have not read that book. And my signature dish would have to be eggs and potatoes. Not sure what it would be called lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't go wrong with eggs and fried potatoes; Tom loves his with fried onions. Just sent you a PM via e-mail. Hugs!

      Delete
  4. I'm so sorry for your neighbor, but I'm glad you all are safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have a special place to sit and read. I actually usually read in bed until my eyes won't stay open. I guess that's a special place. Glad you are safe and sorry for the neighbor who lost his wife and part of his home. As for a "bowl" yours sounds pretty good! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to do that too! Thanks for the thumb's up, Terri!

      Delete
  6. Would the treadmill count as a favorite place to read as I do most of it on the treadmill, lol :)

    Glad you "weathered" the storm well. Sad for that man who lost so much during the storm. Made me think of Job in the Bible and his saying "the Lord gives and the Lord takes away."

    My signature dish would probably be take out lol. Hubby's would be probably salmon with an aluminum foil pouch of veggies.

    I just finished that book today by Mitch Albom! It was a good read! I read it in about 3 days as it is a relatively short book. Lots of good pearls of wisdom in it! What was really funny was reading about the inspector's daughter's birthday being April 10th, which of course is tomorrow, and it is also my BIL's birthday and he and SIL are visiting from San Diego and we are getting together tomorrow.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like Job, exactly! I'd forgotten that bit about the daughter's birthday being April 10 -- lovely goosebumps. Have a great time!

      Delete
  7. the story of your neighbor is just to sad for words. that is just way to much loss at one time.. God bless the helpers. they might be like the man in the boat.. I read the first 3 pages to see if I liked the writing style. It is very readable.. I love your reading nook, the way it looks and the wonderful fact it is away from the television...glad you are safe from those storms. i got an email from my bestie in Savannah last night and she is fine but they had many tornados Tuesday night and her sons neigbors home was totally destory and she was killed. she said they declared state of emerency because of damage. that is really odd for Savannah area. it was not in the city where she lives but in the neighbor small town

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's too close for comfort! Yes, this was an easy read; but profound with 3 (count 'em!) major plot twists. My first Mitch Albom book, but it probably won't be my last.

      Delete
  8. That book does sound like a winner, Myra. I'll have to order it at some point. Yes, I have special corner for reading. That's a new place for me as the chair and lamp were claimed from my mother's home. I just love having a special corner just for me. Yours looks so inviting.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, you 'get' it! I hope you'll share a picture of your special corner with us sometime!

      Delete
  9. Mitch Albom's books are always good, but I've not yet read that one. Thanks for the recommendation. Glad all is well in your part of the world. Breakfast food is always one of my favorites and I go for a plate of pancakes, bacon, and eggs and some home fries. We go to Bob Evans for breakfast after church sometimes and it's always good. Never a disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the book recommendation. I've never met a Mitch Albom I didn't like.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love 3 part harmony!!!!
    BUT it is hard to think you have it bad after describing the guy who lost 'everything'.
    Ouch and not fun to test an emergency siren at the WRONG TIME!
    There are definitely times that bad weather shows up, imma hoping that the worst is past and we can enjoy SPRING.
    Sending love and good thoughts your way.
    Sherry & jack ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perspective is everything, isn't it? Ya, one of our TV anchors said she was awakened by the sirens-- first confused, then panicked. Not good.

      Delete
  12. I'm glad you got through the severe weather unscathed (except for your nerves...). It's heartbreaking to hear about the man who lost his wife and all the other things on the same day.
    The predicted severe weather didn't materialize here in TN - - but the weather turned icy with snow flurries!!!

    When I lived in TX there was an "emergency siren" right behind my house. Late one night it went off for no reason and blasted for SEVERAL HOURS before it could be "repaired".
    I'm still recovering from that little adventure....(*smile*).

    I haven't heard of the book you mentioned but it sounds unique and intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame you for the enduring trauma. Pity someone didn't shoot it, lol.
      Sounds odd, but I truly felt there was an unseen force directing me back again and again to that book.

      Delete
  13. I am so sorry to hear about the neighbor and his great loss. My heart truly goes out to him. May the Lord bless him with good people around him to help in any way possible. That book sounds interesting. I may have to get back into reading again. I took a break from reading seems like for the past year! Can't believe that! But I guess because of my neck issues and finding a comfortable position to read. Maybe I can get back at it now that I've had surgery to fix the neck and my shoulder seems better too. And I am getting new glasses in a couple of weeks, so no more excuses! My signature dish would be...drum roll drum roll...I have no clue! LOL. I eat a good salad most every day for lunch...starts with regular iceberg lettuce and fresh spinach and goes from there, whatever I happen to have on hand. I top it off with shredded cheese, craisins, and Marie's Coleslaw Dressing, and sometimes fritos. If I have taco meat cooked, I add that. Or I add diced cooked chicken, or ham. Or canned kidney beans, or boiled eggs, or bacon. Or sliced apples or walnuts. Anything goes! Pam's "Anything Goes Salad". There you have it! LOL. Hope things are quiet there now and no more sirens. I love your reading nook. When I read, I usually sit in my recliner in L.R., but sometimes I read in the rocking chair in the kitchen. Okay, bye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand, Pam! I think, perhaps, we go through 'seasons' -- only this year, after a 7-year impasse, have I started to focus on the written word again.
      Love the 'Anything Goes' suggestion. Who says we're too old to play with our food?!

      Delete
  14. I'm sorry the omelette was bad but I LOVE your honesty in your food journal!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is so sad about the man up the road. That was not a good mistake to make on the warning sirens. Sorry about your breakfast. I definitely have to look into that book.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Prayers for your neighbor. Mr. Rogers was right was right , always look for the helpers. . I would be the crepe lady. Colton just told me about a restaurant in Louisville that serves crepes. Those early morning sirens, that would be hard to take.. We have a few restaurants that offer yogurt with fresh fruit and First Watch has Million Dollar Bacon! Zach loves that stuff and has made it at home. He is such a good cook. I have been waiting on my upini beans from amazon. We did not get to go to LuLus which is a farm market because Lucy cancelled the birthday party for her oldest daughter. My mammogram and bone density are Friday. I do not like going to doctors and clinics anymore. everyone is so paranoid. My poor husband, those people are so afraid of dying they can not enjoy life. I wish he did not have to work anymore. HUGS and PRAYERS for you and Tom.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!