Hey there! It's good to see you again!
Our New Years?
... was blissfully quiet. I did a roast in the slow cooker; and, oddly enough, stayed awake with a book. Shaking my head at what passes for NYE entertainment at Times Square. Oh, where have you gone Guy Lombardo? Barry Manilow?
All signs pointed to the possibility of severe weather, but aside from heavy rains, by daybreak I was happy to put away the storm radio and helmets.
Pretty sure Pastor Janet must have an 'in' with the Big Guy upstairs. Come 2:00 all was sunny and bright in time for her and Andy's 'Open non-House Party' next door.
I never realized .....
when bamboo begins to burn it sounds remarkably like a .357 firing!
when bamboo begins to burn it sounds remarkably like a .357 firing!
Janet, demonstrating the fine art of toasting a marshmallow.
I really planned to try my first-ever s'more .....
but couldn't wrap my mind around the idea.
Maybe it was the black-eyed peas I warmed for breakfast?
... or what I discovered at Food Outlet?
Happy Camper, party of one!
Anyway!
If you're not much interested in history, it's okay to stop reading. I won't get my feelings hurt. (*smile*)
Another neighbor -- the rector from nearby St. Michael's -- stopped by the party. What a fascinating, friendly man!
Mark was full of information about both the Zeigler homestead and surrounding area. In fact, his own home was built in 1848 -- for a bride who'd been cast out by her family for having the audacity to fall in love with a Confederate soldier.
I had to ask Mark about this Confederate memorial that sits 2 miles from our front door.
I believe it was right around Veterans Day when I stopped to take these photos. (Doesn't time fly?)
That's probably what got my mind to wondering:
Are members of the CSA considered veterans?
What to do but consult my favorite history buff.
Quoting son,
"Yes all CSA veterans were recognized as USA veterans and some received pensions when they were at the appropriate age by order of President Lincoln.
Some even received dental work at military bases after the war.
Also after the surrender of the CSA and the celebration of the end of war President Lincoln had the band play “Dixie”.
War truly was hell but he wanted to bring the states back together."
Some even received dental work at military bases after the war.
Also after the surrender of the CSA and the celebration of the end of war President Lincoln had the band play “Dixie”.
War truly was hell but he wanted to bring the states back together."
On that note!
... A sincere thank you for making time in your day to visit. It means a lot!
Hugs,
Myra











I can tell you with utmost certainty even the Confederates were eventually given pardons etc. You would think, though, according some folks, Confederacy equals evil, not so. I could go on and on...but since my history degree/concentration is in the Constitution, and not the Civil War, I will stop there/here.
ReplyDeleteI bought Eggnog flavored ice cream and it is very good. SMORES are great, Myra, honest. smiles.
Have a great day friend. Weather is dark, dreary and quite cold here in the north.
I know, right? Even the wildly-held misconception about the 'real' Confederate flag. (Guilty, party of one!)
DeleteI love history too... I subscribe to The Great Courses Plus and have streamed a lot of their history series. At the moment it’s the 84 episodes of The History of the United States, so I loved your question about Confederate veterans. Thank you for taking time to connect with us. 💕
ReplyDeleteI'll have to check that out. Thank you!
DeleteYOU FOUND EGG NOG... so happy for you. will you share with hubby? Now i may have to climb the fence and get a piece of bamboo from next door to test the 357 theroy....😜 we ate blackeyes two days for lunch, there was more, but I froze them for a day when i don't want to cook. just sit the frozen peas on simmer for a lttl while and just as good as they were fresh...i have had one smore, mine ws 2 grahams, one marshmallow and one small square of a hersheybar. that one looks huge but if i could eat sugar i could handle it.. was the pastor sharing history who was smoking the pipe??? enquiring minds want to know
ReplyDeleteOh, please don't go climbing fences and hurt your Sandra all over again?! Tom absolutely positively refuses to even taste black eyed peas. I told him, "Well, any misfortune's on YOU, then."
DeleteYou found egg nog!! Cheers.
ReplyDeleteYa! We were in a totally different part of the store when I looked over to the dairy case ... and RAN, like there was a contest.
DeleteHow interesting. That is something I never gave a thought to an now I have some pretty great knowledge about the CSA vets. Thanks!! You and Joe can fight over the eggnog! I don't even like how it smells!
ReplyDeleteHa! Tell Joe, I'm happy to share!
DeleteInteresting learning about history.
ReplyDeleteBarry Manilow is the only open-air concert I attended. I was taking someone else and managed to get tickets.
God bless.
Was it wonderful? What's your favorite of his songs?
DeleteIt was a LONG day. The tickets I got included transport and entrance there. The young lady I was with was astounded I managed to get tickets. We arrived late morning on the grounds of a country estate house. The event finished well past midnight. The place was filled with millions of people. I did not realise he had that many relatives.
DeleteHis best songs are Mandy, I write the songs, Can't smile without you.
God bless.
Myra! I can't believe you've never had S'mores!! You absolutely must try them. I prefer mine with just the bottom graham. I'm so glad you were able to find your eggnog! Interesting about the bamboo, I never knew that. Thanks for the little history lesson too :)
ReplyDeleteI might ... someday. Hold the marshmallow and the chocolate, tho. I'm much more a savory, spicy fan.
DeleteI wholeheartedly agree that NYE at Times Square has become a travesty. The "entertainment" is so appallingly bad that it's unwatchable. I yearn for the Lombardo era....
ReplyDeleteI'm admittedly jealous of your egg nog! The nog that I bought last week was outdated (!!) so it's undrinkable. My fury knows no bounds.
I'm glad you found a use for your Auld Lang Syne cup (even though I hate black-eyed peas). I took my cup out on NYE but didn't use it.
I suppose I could fill it with outdated eggnog....
I like that Confederate Memorial and I'm always fascinated with history.
BTW - S'mores are vastly over-rated....
DeleteWhaaaa? I can't believe I (inadvertently) missed responding. Such comfort I take, knowing how often we think alike. :)
DeleteInteresting history facts you shared here Myra! I hope no one gets it in their head that that Confederate Memorial needs to be taken down! I haven't had a s'more in years. Just give me the chocolate and I'm good; forget the graham cracker or the marshmallow. Yummy on the egg nog. Not one drop was drunk of it this holiday season. How did that happen?
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year to you and Tom!
betty
Okay, I'll trade you my chocolate for your graham cracker. :) Happy New Year, Betty!
DeleteI smiled when I read: Oh, where have you gone Guy Lombardo? Barry Manilow? ;-)
ReplyDeleteI'm not a smores person not sure I ever had one. Sherry and the grands are that is for sure.
Glad the weather turned for you we did pretty well down here.
I remember the note from your son and it was absolute news to me and great to read. The repeat was a good idea this time of our turbulent history.
Love you guys
Sherry & jack
Thank you so much, Jack. Love y'all, too!
DeleteMy great grandfather, Uncle Billy, (That's what he was called) was a CSA veteran. I enjoyed researching history on him. I love history!!
ReplyDeleteNeat! Have you blogged about him?
DeleteWow so much here...what? never had a s'more? Oh my! I LOVE them. I am not sure what that was in your picture, but it didn't look like a s'more to me. You have to toast the marshmallow on a stick until it burns a bit, and then slide it off the stick onto the graham cracker and square of hershey bar, and cover with the other piece of graham cracker, and eat. The marshmallow should squish down a bit and melt the chocolate a little, and it is just so good. But the best part is making them with friends over a campfire, and laughing and having a good time. We did that on New Year's Eve with our kids and my sister who was visiting. Now, about eggnog, so happy you found some. I hope you enjoyed it! Regarding the CSA veterans,etc. I wish people would leave our history alone. Yes, there is bad in every country's history, but still it needs to be remembered and learned from so we don't make the same mistakes again. And yes, re: NYE at Time's Square...we just go to bed early. We tried to find a station to watch some of it and found it very distasteful and boring, so turned it off and enjoyed our company instead, and went to bed. Okay, I think I covered everything but the bamboo. Never tried burning it...now I don't think I will, thank you for telling us. Happy New Year!!!
ReplyDeleteI know; we were all razzing Janet about the giant marshmallows she bought. I don't recall having toasted them since Girl Scouts; loved to thoroughly char the outside!
DeleteOH, and black eyed peas...ever make "hopping john"? Look it up online. It is good over rice. More tasty than plain old black eyed peas. That's what we did. Okay, good night.
ReplyDeleteHopping John does sound tasty! Just wish I had someone to enjoy it with. My persnickety hubby refuses to even try them.
DeleteI loved that bit of history you shared here, Myra. Makes us realize what true unity, not the fake kind being peddled to us as of late by you-know-who, is the backbone of our nation. Kudos to the late, great President Lincoln!
ReplyDeleteThanks, too, for keeping us up to date with your happenings!
Exactly! Thank you for saying that, Martha.
DeleteGlad you had a Happy New Year. You are the second person I've heard mention that the entertainment wasn't up to par in NYC. Your town has a lot of history, glad you are getting to know about it. I love history too. Hope you get to sample a S'more soon. I do love them. The gooier the better !
ReplyDeleteThanks, Ma! Maybe I'll start with a toasted s'more martini. Doesn't that sound good?
DeleteGood morning! This is the first holiday season of my adult life where I haven't had a single glass of eggnog! I looked for the lower calorie one this year and NEVER found it! YUUUUMMMY! I'm really surprised that you've never eaten a smore! They are really quite tasty :-)
ReplyDeleteHow funny! I just sat down at the computer and poured a big glass of egg nog. Sure's a good thing it's only available a couple months out of the year.
DeleteI have to admit the shows this year on New Year's Eve were very disappointing. So you didn't try the s'more? They are so delicious. That Eggnog looks awesome! I love the photos you too. Take care and God Bless....
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Debby. Blessings!
DeleteI didn't have any eggnog this year. I usually have a bit as is then I use it as the base for hot chocolate. It makes the yummiest, richest, most decadent hot chocolate. I did know that about the CSA veterans. I learned about it when all the statues were being vandalized or removed this summer. S'mores are not my thing, either. Too sweet and gooey. Now talk to me about mountain pies...
ReplyDeleteMountain whaaaaat? Inquiring minds want to know!
DeleteYou make mountain pies in the campfire, too. You have to have a pie iron...cast iron mold that's either square or round (new ones are usually square) with long handles. You butter 2 slices of bread, put one in each side of the opened iron. Then you fill it with whatever yummy goodness you think of. Favorites are apple and cherry pie filling, peanut butter/choc. chips/mini marshmallows, and my favorite...pizza sauce and cheese. You close the iron and toast it in the coals. Done right they are toasty, golden brown pockets of deliciouslness!
DeleteYmmmmm!
DeleteOH I love a Hostory buff! Our son Jeremy is one and Marydon who use to blog, her hubby Harold. Oh LOrd I Learned things from Harold I never learned in school. I love a wealth of wisdom person :-) S'mores are wonderful. Bu Mrs.Cavaughan has us addicted to her Toaster Coconut MIlk or Dark Chocolate candies. Shame on you Mrs. Cavaughn, I Know you wait for me to reorder. Cause you make 'em and send 'em the same day :-) I already love your pastor. YOu have to get in Good with the Big Guy, He is the answer to all our troubles. :-) Ah...Barry Manilow...saw him three times in concert, drug the hubby the first time and then he decided he was a great performer. Class Act. Guy Lombardo ah...a childhood memory. The Grammys, the New Years EVe so called talents U G H ! Have not been a fan for a long long time. Pushing the Grammys back again since LA is having high cases of the virus. At least the libs on my rock n roll radio station say it is so! A friend had frozen hot chocolate for New Years Eve lucky Julie & her hubby and kids. :-) Eggnog, Oh yum use to put it in coffee but these New Mexico coffee people have us addicted to their Pinon coffee. HaHaHa A gal I know in SC said her friend told her to go to Starbucks for a Chai tea but ask for a shot of peppermint and a shot of eggnog in it. I don't know, I think the eggnog ship may have sailed away til next year. I am so far behind commenting and reading posts. It has been a trying time for this phamily of mine. :-) Thanks for all your sharing. HUGS to you & Tom
ReplyDeleteExcuse the mispelled word H I S T OR Y ! I will be more careful (wink wink)
DeleteI never thought about egg nog in my coffee, and now I've another quart to finish before the 11th (expiration).
DeleteI always appreciate your visit!
Supposedly my g-g-grandfather received pension from both confederate and union. If you think a s’more is too rich try a little peanut butter on one or both graham crackers. Take care, Sheila
ReplyDeletePS. I’m a little behind on blogs.