Sunday, January 10, 2021

Enunciation matters

 



So I'm learned the hard way, my waistline's not the only thing I've let slide.  My enunciation's going to pot.


Yesterday morning the girls (aka, pups) and I were enjoying a rollicking version of "Jesus Loves Me, This I Know" when my cell's screen lit up.   Like the Alexa, I've become accustom to my Google Pixel eavesdropping.   [For instance:  The other night I rose from the dining room table telling Tom, "Thank you, honey."  Uninvited, GP piped up:  "You're welcome; I enjoyed our conversation."  Really!]


Anyway!  Back to "Jesus Loves Me."  Instead of, "Heaven's gates will open wide ..."  GP had typed, "Helen's kids will open while ..." 


Oy!  I've unintentionally been butchering the English language for decades.  It's cute when little kids mis-pronounce words.  Not so, my humiliation when, back in '68,  in front of all my friends I spotted this outside the Baskin Robbins .....

..... and exclaimed,  "Look, it's a _____ _____!"



Is there anyone among us who can't relate, just a little, to this girl?


And the more I over-think something, the worse it becomes!'

Here's a couple ordinary words that currently defy my ability to speak like a grown-up:

Rural Road
Phenomenon

Not to mention ...




How about you?
Are there words with which you struggle, when your tongue just won't cooperate?



Have a great new week, friends ... stay safe!


Hugs,
Myra


40 comments:

  1. Accompanist. I just can't wrap my tongue around it. Ever. I try to throw in another i or two. And our Alexa answers frequently here because 'she' thinks she heard something she didn't. Wishing you a good week ahead, Myra!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't feel too bad Myra, I had a Grand Prix back in the 90s and some people still said that lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes...You all really have Alexa/and Google whatever listening in on your conversations??? Wow...I don't think I could handle that...Big Brother is already intruding into our lives way too much... I do get tongue tied when I try to speak in public. I've been known to put my foot in my mouth and "bring the house down" in riotous laughter at my faux pas. (is that how to spell it? )I said something at our 10 year class reunion that our classmates had not forgotten at our 50th reunion and still reminded me. (I came from a very small class of 50 students, and we all grew up together, so it was just par for the course, even after 50 years...) I think if I were you I'd turn that thing off...seriously...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, 'they' rarely pipe up, and (so far) we've had good laughs. Now maybe, should our conversation take a different tone, pulling the plug's a good idea.

      Delete
  4. What does Me Me stand for anyway? I have seen it often on-line and I pronounce it Me Me too.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question! I still refer to them as cartoons. :)

      Delete
  5. Years ago my enunciation improved when I played with a spoken-word-to-text program. It was easier to speak clearly than to correct all the mistakes in the text. Now Andy and I mostly talk only with one another, and we often have to repeat because of hearing problems, so who knows? 😛

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Due to Tom's hearing challenges I find myself facing him and exaggerating my speech. Good practice, actually.

      Delete
  6. LOL, Myra, this made me laugh :) For the life of me I cannot say shower soap clearly :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just tried that, once. Twice. 3 times .... LOL.

      Delete
  7. I only recently discovered the correct pronunciation of memes.
    How about "entrepreneur"? I not only can't say it - - I can't spell it.

    Alexa unnerves me. It listens, watches, and knows.....
    I'm not familiar with Google Pixel (a phone?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just caught on to the Grand Prix thing.

      Delete
    2. Yes, the Google Pixel's my cell phone ... chosen (supposedly) for its camera quality. The car? Heck, I've always been slow on the uptake.

      Delete
  8. the first word that comes to mind and there are many more, is cacophony. I know what it means and can't say it, and even after listening to it be pronounced on line, i still cant. I am ROFLMAO at the Grand Prix, My favorite car i have owned sine bob and I married was a 78 Grand Prix.. why is it we remember things like what we said in 1968...i am in constant amusement of how my phone types what i say. and not amused when i forget to proof read until after i hit send.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cacophony ... that's a good one. I'm over here enunciating (*smile*) and realize it makes my jaw quiver like a little kid does before he starts crying.

      Delete
  9. forgot one thing. I worked with a close friend for 15 years and it was her delight to point out every word SHE thought I pronounced wrong or names of things. I took a photo of my staghorn to work, she said that is not a staghorn that is an Elkhorn fern. we were both right. North and South was the difference. it beats me why people want to point out we said something wrong..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've a friend like that, always correcting others, I suppose in an effort to feel superior.

      Delete
  10. I think we are all phonetically challenged from time to time, Myra, so don't be so hard on yourself. However, the electronic translation is a bit unnerving. I don't like the idea of tech eaves dropping on our privacy - scary!
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alexa . . . I asked 'it' to say the 23rd Psalm when I was in the hospital, 'it' didn't know those scriptures. hmmmm, no Alexa for me! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. I just asked ours to recite the 23rd Psalm and twice, 'she' took me to Audible where a someone was reading an excerpt from 'Good Girl, Bad Girl.' STOP! :(

      Delete
  12. A poster above mentioned this word, Entrepreneur. It is impossible for me to say. The more I try the worse it gets! lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. hings can easily be said wrong and are pronounced differently than what they are spelled. Alexa and I tend to go round in circles some days, It shows up most on my shopping list and then I have to figure out what on earth I meant it to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cool how you use 'her' for your shopping list.

      Delete
  14. That first word was meant to be Things. Not only problems here with enunciation, but with typing too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This post made me laugh! I have trouble saying "nurse anesthetist."

    ReplyDelete
  16. Laughing because Alexa often hears her name when I didn't say anything remotely close to it. Of course she makes up for it by ignoring me at other times when I am saying her name. Yeah, there are words I can't pronounce no matter how hard I try, but I can't think of what they are at the moment. I won't remember them till the next time it happens.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have no idea how I missed this! And you show a beautiful Grand Prix! TOO! Oh baby I'm with you on MEME! LOL
    This was great, thanks for the read, I haven't been myself lately. I think it was yesterday I went crazy trying to get a blog entry and missed the good stuff.
    Love from Florida
    Sherry & jack

    ReplyDelete
  18. PS: My worst word in the last few months is 'Hyperbole' My son jack canot understand it is Spelled HYPER-BOLE That is naturally hiper-bowl! LOL
    Yep loved this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I just thought of another I used to pronounce the way it looked: facade. Ah, the English language is a tricky thing.

      Delete
  19. I can relate to it all. Alexa gets stuck on more words than me, though. i find it funny.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!