Saturday, November 30, 2019

Recollectin'






Good morning!


I wanted to share some thoughts and images before, like so many things, my favorite month becomes a memory.

Backing up a couple weeks --
The funeral home's Thanksgiving observance last week was really nice. I felt a bit awkward walking in ... not knowing what sort of reception I'd get, but almost everyone was friendly and generous with their hugs.

After the fact, Miss Beth even commented (that) my Hatch chili cornbread was a big hit. 

Before leaving, I took Tom on a drive through the cemetery.  On behalf of my late father (a fan), we stopped to pay respects to Governor Wallace.

Love the near-Winter sky!




There's little that can put me in a holiday mood, like cold(ish) weather … and happily, Mother Nature obliged.  Granted, the 26* temps I enjoyed didn't stick around, but I've high hopes for December and January.


Our Thanksgiving was pretty low-key, but enjoyable.

Belatedly I observed, "Tie One on Day" by digging out my mother's 'cobbler' apron.

.. and nagging asking Tom to do the same.

For a myriad of good reasons, my DIL has been extremely stressed.  Despite a 25-lb. weight loss and not feeling like a crispy critter, Lois still wore a pretty smile:

In addition to her turkey and green-bean casserole, we brought along a 12-1/2# brisket

  … and another batch of green chili cornbread.

So surprised when Tom -- who normally avoids Hatch like the plague -- enjoyed two big slices!  Have to admit, I've never been particularly fond of cornbread, but this recipe is super moist.

My mellow, handsome son
And pretty granddaughter, Chloe
I'd never heard of a Cinderella pumpkin before … have you?




Like a popular meme on social media, I saved 100% by not going out shopping yesterday.

Uh, cancel that.
I had to run to Food Outlet and pick up a box of ice cream sandwiches.  Seems 'someone' swore she purchased them earlier in the week, but we couldn't find them anywhere.  Until Thursday morning, when Tom went to put on a fresh shirt and discovered a Wal-Mart bag hung over the top of the dry cleaning hangers.  Oops.


As a few of you know, we're observing a State holiday today -- aka, the Iron Bowl.  I used to laugh at memes like this, but realize it's pretty much a fact:

 
I did get dressed and brushed my teeth … but there'll be no cooking no cleaning, no decorating. Bring on the queso dip and tortilla chips!
Oh. And not that I'm pessimistic, but figured the bottle of gin I bought along with Tom's ice cream might make today's outcome a little easier to take.  Ha!


Have a super and safe weekend, y'all!

(Sorry Linda … *smile*)


Hugs, Myra








34 comments:

  1. I have never heard of the Iron bowl and saw this on FB and wondered but did not look it up. since you are celebrating it, I just looked it up and see it is a football game between Alabama and Auburn, I assume those are colleges. Hello from under the rock I live under. I have never in 75 years watched a football game, that is my EXCUSE.
    I enjoyed seeing your family and your APRONS. another thing I have never done. worn an apron. my mother and aunts did, they never went in the kitchen without one on. it could be caused by the fact I depsise cooking and you really don't need an apron if you are not cooking.. sounds like fun and glad the party went well and they did not boo or hiss. ha ha
    enjoy your holiday today, hope which ever one you root for wins. now I am off to figure out where Auburn is, I do know where Alabama is, if not the college. now you can ask my what PicMonkey is. I know all about that., ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, m'dear! I figure my late mother was up there chuckling and applauding at my voluntarily wearing an apron. Oh, how she kept after me to do so … even just washing the dishes.

      Delete
  2. It's good to spend time with the family and build happy memories. I'm so glad you enjoyed a happy Thanksgiving. Sadly, we don't celebrate it in the UK.

    God bless you and your family always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Victor. I always look forward to your visits.

      Delete
  3. LOLOLOL I have to say, just because my son was born in Tuscaloosa and we lived there 21 years; ROLL TIDE. I'm a "Gator' girl...and I think Auburn is set to win by a single digit-I think. ANYWAYS--knowing we will always be friends, it is safe to know I can rib ya, lolololol. Have a beautiful day friend. s miles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bet-cha! Speaking of bets, I wouldn't have believed Auburn would actually pull it off!

      Delete
    2. YEAH I know...all in all, it was a good game, even with the lousy calls on both. OH my gosh, and they did win by a single digit--or close to it, wow.

      Delete
  4. It looks like a great few days all the way around (minus the meltdown, of course)--ice cream sandwiches. lol
    I hope your DIL has improved health and spirits. God bless her. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Diana … I do, as well. Lois is good people.

      Delete
  5. College football is so important in the south! Hope your team won. Looked like you had a nice Thanksgiving. I am glad you went to your party - you were a good sport, Love, sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandie! I'm confused by your saying I was a 'good sport'? Actually, I quit THEM - not the other way around.

      Delete
  6. Is that a lighthouse in the graveyard, or are my myopic eyes deceiving me?
    I always love walking through old cemeteries - so peaceful and inspiring. That winter sky looks wonderful....and I hope Mother Nature will bring you many invigoratingly chilly days.

    I never heard of the Iron Bowl or Cinderella pumpkin pie.
    My curiosity made me do a Cinderella pie search - and it yielded MANY conflicting recipes.

    Anyway, your Thanksgiving feast sounded great - I'd like some of that moist cornbread!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look a little like a lighthouse, doesn't it? Actually, they call it the Music Tower. (aka, Big $$$) My DIL enjoys old cemeteries as well; but they give me the creeps.

      Delete
  7. We are watching Ohio State stomp the Michigan Wolverines! That's our big game today. I am going to look at that recipe as soon as I post this comment! I loved seeing your photos from Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terri! I still root for Ohio State as a nod to my former hubby. (Plus, my evil ex-boss was a Michigan fan … so there's that. Ha!)

      Delete
  8. You certainly had your protein at Thanksgiving with the turkey and the brisket :) I hadn't heard of Iron Bowl until your blog and then another fellow Alabama person posted on her Facebook page about Iron Bowl too. I hope your team did win! I'm sure it was a good game! Sure hoping your DIL's stress level reduces itself over the next few months!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a back-and-forth game all the way, but in the end Auburn pulled off the victory! (Humming that song from Fiddler on the Roof, "Wonder of wonders, miracle of miracles …"

      Delete
  9. I am so stinking late. Sorry. But I love the photos, especially TOM in a 'tie one on'. LOL But if I read that right, Ice cream sandwiches in the closet? OUCH x2.
    Yhat is the first Cinderella Pumpkin I have ever seen, but I can see where the name came from of course. neat.
    LOve from down here in Florida....

    PS:As far as I am concerned George was a very misunderstood 'intelligent' man. I loved the time he took with the hippie young man who walked through Alabama. It was a high light of the book 'A walk across America' I thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, OUCH! I'm so thankful the plastic bag didn't break open. I'm not familiar with that book, but want to look for it at our public library.

      Delete
    2. It is a good book. But I came back to say thanks, yes I think a the time I needed a sounding board. my sister & mama started exhibiting Alzheimers about my age, and I am concerned. But I cna still smile. LOL

      Delete
  10. your thanksgiving dinner sounded delicous. i love aprons. keep the shirts under them from grease stains. cinderella pie sounds magical. is it good?cemetaries are always cool to explore. we visit our plots frequently. only property we own besides
    the house. we don't watch sports here so i wouldn't know one team from another. my husband likes that bottle of gin you bought. enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell your hubby I'm happy to share my libations! :)

      Delete
  11. We watched the Iron Bowl, and was amazed by Auburn's win! Alabama seems to have lost its touch after the quarterback's injury. Glad to know you had a nice Thanksgiving with family, Myra - we did, too!
    Blessings, my friend, and Happy Advent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was amazed, as well!
      Happy Advent, Martha and Danny!

      Delete
  12. Sounds like a great Thanksgiving. I didn't do any black Friday shopping at all. Stayed at home and decorated for Christmas. I don't watch much football at all since my boys are not at home.But I do like to eat !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping Tom was feeling up to retrieving the boxes of decorations today … but oh, well. Tomorrow's another day! I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures!

      Delete
  13. Everything looks yuummy! I am a fan of cornbread and when I get my oven back I'd like to try your recips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do, I'd love to hear what you think! :)

      Delete
  14. A great holiday for sure. Never heard of a Cinderella Pumpkin but my mother had an apron she put on when she baked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost sad that aprons have gone the way of dinosaurs.

      Delete
  15. I'm glad you had a nice Thanksgiving. We did, too, but it was a lot quieter than most years. Just hubby and me... but we still had turkey and all the fixings. We talked to the kids on the phone, so that made it special... and our son and DIL who live in AL surprised us by dropping in for a wee bit on Friday night. They went to the Falcons game on Thursday night (if you want to call it a "game"... more like a debacle) and did some sight-seeing while they were in town. I'm grateful we were one of the "sights." Once my hubby's immune system gets back up to snuff, we're looking forward to seeing the grands again. (We have a Chloe, too!)

    It's been years since I wore an apron, but I dunno why. As sloppy as I can get, I SHOULD wear one. (The seat of my pants is the standard hand-wiping spot...)

    Have a super weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Thanksgiving may have been quieter … but I'm sure it was lovely. Sounds as if our backsides contain similar handprints!

      Delete
  16. Glad you attended the funeral homes Thanksgiving observance. Love the apron! I always forget to wear one. I enjoyed your pictures and the meal sounds awesome. I could go for some brisket. Oh my on those ice cream sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit, Debby ... especially, your mention of the apron!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!