Saturday, November 23, 2019

Just for today


Gonna try my best!




Outside my window
Tom's unable to get out and rake … 
and I'm unwilling!
Unlike the xeriscape yards in Arizona, I LOVE the look of fallen leaves.   


I'm thinking
Enough is enough!
This arrived yesterday ...
Nice return address … NOT!
… and yes, I hustled myself right to the Post Office. The Postmaster is out until Monday.  At least they took this (and the postcard) seriously, and have told me to expect a call. 


I am grateful
To have made it home safely last week.  Because our home sits so close to the Eastern time zone 'border', it's dark by 5 o'clock. Now I've a new appreciation for my mother's refusal to drive after dark.  Not only am I bothered/blinded by on-coming headlights, but noticed 'double' lane lines and near-zero depth perception.

Bless his heart!  Because our street is so dark, Tom asked me to call when I turned onto Chapman … then he stood out at the end of the drive with a high-powered flashlight.  (We've since installed little solar lights on either side of the drive.)   


Two of my favorite things
My mother and grandma are gone,
but using their 'tools' while baking last week gave me the 'feels.'


Oh, my goodness!
Are there any other Chicago Med fans out there?  Oh, how last week's episode touched me!
...
I may have a teeny-tiny crush on Dr. Charles. (*smile*)


A thought to carry with you
Click to enlarge
This hangs in White Chapel's break room.




So, when I woke up at 4:41 (silly dogs) I fully intended to cover the furniture and wipe down all the ceiling fan blades.  Fortunately, today's overcast rainy weather's convinced me to nest, instead. Popcorn for breakfast, anyone?

Have a great day ….. be safe!
Hugs, Myra  




30 comments:

  1. The Times They Are a-Changin ... it may be good or bad news for some.

    I do love to see the leaves on the ground in Autumn. It is natural as God intended. I checked the Bible and Adam and Eve did not have a rake in Paradise. Just as well. Imagine if Adam sat on it.

    What exactly is that cooking tool on the left? The one on the right is a very big comb, I think.

    Keep smiling. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tool on the left is a sifter for flour, sugar, etc. I guess that prehistoric kneader does look like a giant comb!
      Good thing Adam and Eve didn't own a rake!

      Delete
  2. Love the message on the communications board, Myra! Yes, we need to learn to be flexible, don't we? But that letter - ugh! This is fast becoming some scary, mysterious mess. Hope the P.O. can get to the bottom of it.
    Have a great weekend, and a marvelous Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! She said they'd mostly likely turn it over to the Mobile investigative unit. Suppose it's not a felony for them to open others' mail?

      Delete
  3. My mom had a sifter like that. I do remember her using it for certain things she baked. Do let us know when you talk to the postmaster and any further developments. That was so sweet of Tom to stand out there waiting for you! Good idea to put some solar lights out there as a guide too.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do people even bother to sift their dry ingredients anymore? I saw that and used it more for sentiment than anything else.

      Delete
  4. I have never seen anything like that being mailed - that would scare me to death too.
    It is so dark. Why can't we just stick to the other time change and leave it?
    Nice of Tom to put the lights on for you when you needed them.
    sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to love the darkness … when my eyes still worked! So far, I'm not scared as much as I'm ANGRY.

      Delete
  5. I love it when the weather stops me from doing a job from the to do list... there is always tomorrow. my retiree motto... that return address has changed this story completely. I would have gone back also.. this could turn into something serious. but I don't know what they can do with out a return address. I drive in the dark every day but at daybreak not at night and in the am there is hardly any traffic, at night there is a lot more. I don't drive at night unless it is a must.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just informed Tom, "There's always tomorrow!" (heh-heh) I don't care so much about the PO stopping the mail from coming to us, as I do finding out WHO is sending it.

      Delete
  6. Yikes on the mail...what is this persons deal? I sure hope to find out soon.

    I leave in the morning in the dark and return when it is getting dark out. 4 more weeks of having to drive 45 min to campus...I simply can not wait.

    I love the look of leaves on the ground, we don't have any trees on our street. We live on what it use to be called the 'non commissioned officers' side of Armory (hence the name Armory). I much prefer non raked, just saying.

    I love your 'tools'. I have none of my mothers or either grandmother, sad to say. Never seen Chicago Med, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All's I know, that creep-o had better not try and show up here. I'm guessing he's really old and/or ignorant, not using a computer search.

      Delete
  7. I love that you get the "feels" using those kitchen tools that belonged to your loved ones! Your Tom is a keeper!! Bringing you home with a flashlight beacon is just the sweetest thing! We love Chicago Med too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, I think about you and Joe every Wednesday night. Med is, by far, my favorite of the 3.

      Delete
  8. I love your two favorites things. I have a few myself. I am a Chicago Med fan, what a great show. Glad you set up some solar lights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's funny, I hardly ever bake -- but this season always puts me in the mood.

      Delete
  9. Myra, you're definitely right - enough is enough. Whoever is sending those things has to be demented. It's really spooky. I hope they find out who it is.

    I can definitely identify with your fear of driving after dark. I have night blindness - which is the reason I drove over that embankment in Arkansas when I was coming to TN (remember that?). I COULD NOT see a thing! And I will never attempt to drive at night again.

    Incidentally, I had surgery on both my eyes for torn retinas and ever since then my night blindness has increased.

    I really like those autumn leaves in your yard - it enhances the charm of the season.
    I've never had popcorn for breakfast - - but I got up at 4:00 am this morning (couldn't sleep) and made pizza!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I most certainly remember your wild ride in Arkansas … so fortunate you and the kitties weren't killed. It helps to know that someone else knows what I'm going through with the night blindness. Here, I never thought it could happen to me.

      Delete
  10. I'm unwilling to get out and rake, too. The most I do these days is sweep them off of the walkway and steps. I used to rake several times a week... like a crazy lady. My hubby just shook his head and said it was a waste of time, that he could just run over them with the lawn mower. I was aghast... aghast, I tell you!... at the thought of using the lawn mower. Now? He used the lawn mower. (And it looks just fine.) My back can't handle all of that raking anymore, and with the riding lawn mower, he can knock out the job in no time.

    I still use my old sifter and blender. (Or whatever it's supposed to be called... works great for cutting butter into pie dough.) The sifter's seen better days, but it still works. (Hey! I don't look so hot anymore, either!)

    I hope the P.O. gets to the bottom of that creepy mail that's been coming your way, but it sounds like the realtor might be more helpful.

    Take care, and Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, I think the Realtor is my next step. Thanks for the big smile about your hubby and the lawn mower!

      Delete
  11. I'm glad the postmaster is taking the letter seriously. That's just too weird.

    You should probably have your eyes checked. I was experiencing everything you described and was avoiding night driving unless I was very familiar with the roads. I was afraid I was getting cataracts because I know they can cause the glare and halo affect, but my doctor said my eyes are good. Some of that just comes naturally with age. He promised that updating my prescription would help a lot and it really did. The only thing I notice now is a tiny bit of glare/blur around the edges of reflective things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I can hardly wait for my next eye appointment in January. Last year he allowed that while I've cataracts, they were too insignificant to warranty surgery.

      Delete
  12. Oh, we used the same pastry stuff! I inherited them, but lost them in a move!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH YES driving after dark is o fun. I experience the same things that you put in writing. I like it when someone understands. ;-)
    Now yes on the PO visit. that whole thing is weird......
    I wish I had something of my mama's to use and know it was hers.
    Great entry. Love the read
    Sherry & jack in Florida

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for understanding! The last 3 days I was working and driving home in the dark were sobering. Now I KNOW I couldn't do that full-time and risk killing myself or someone else.

      Delete
  14. Some of my favorites are my tried and true kitchen things -- my mother's Corning ware and my original Pyrex measuring cup from my first apartment. I bought the measuring cup at Woolworth's in 1972 and it's still my go-to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it curious how certain ordinary objects hold such extraordinary feelings!

      Delete
  15. I had trouble even walking after dark last night. Good thing I had one of my son's arms to hold on to or I would never made it down a flight of steps. We were to be out of the shelter at 5, no wonder as they have no outdoor lighting. I never drive after dark any more. One of my others son's gave me a ride. I have a pastry cutter just like the one you showed. I love it for making pie dough. Mine was found in an antique store years ago. I do more nesting than work these days. Dark dreary days of November are good for that. Need light to see the cobwebs anyway. We are very alike in that. Hope you have a relaxing Sunday !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Great point about not seeing the cobwebs! So glad you mentioned the 'pastry cutter.' I knew 'blender' wasn't the right term but couldn't think of the correct one! Happy Sunday to you, too!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!