Hey there, friends … welcome back!
I've got to hand it to Terri for thinking outside the box. Given the prompt, National Paper Clip Day, me? I'd probably throw up my hands and recuse myself.
I've never been particularly interested in history. But the 'Paper Clip Project' gave me goosebumps. In short: As part of a Holocaust education class, student volunteers began collecting paper clips.
6 million paper clips. One clip representing one Jew who perished during the Holocaust.
The Paper Clip Project gained international attention, and by 2001 the students collected more than 30 million paper clips. The school dedicated a Children's Holocaust Memorial which displays an authentic German railcar filled with a portion of the paper clips.
To learn more, visit Terri's blog or www.oneclipatatime.org.
* * *
Now, I'm tickled to join the Merry Band of Meddlers! Please, feel free to play along!
Terri asks ...
Wow! Had you ever heard of the Holocaust Project involving paperclips? It's a great teaching project, for sure!
No, never!
It's said the Norwegians were particularly persistent in the development of symbols. The paper clip represented "sticking together." (Until the Nazi's caught on ….)
Have you ever created a paper clip chain? How long did it get?
Not on purpose, no.
Because small clips tend to get all tangled, I opt for the jumbo size.
Terri uses paper clips as hooks at Christmas time to put ornament on the tree. Works like a charm! What is something you used a paperclip for, other than holding paper together?
I agree! Our Christmas trees contain more paper clips than regular hooks.
Theoretically, these aren't paper clips, but it's my favorite hack.
Terri is amazed at the shapes and colors of paper clips available. She's found her favorite.
Me, I opt for green and yellow (rubberized) plastic ones.
Say goodbye to May on this last Wednesday of May. Be poetic if you will, or simply bid it adieu.
Thank you, May! Like a debutante, you arose from the unkept bramble that defines the rear of our property.
Thank you, May!
…For continuing to preserve the silent anniversaries of my heart.
Thank you, May!
...For new friendships beginning to germinate.
Thank you, May!
… For giving me courage to let go. Let go of others, whose only sins aren't sins at all; but challenge my peace of mind.
Thank you for your lessons.
Good be with you,
God be with you.
Goodbye!
Tell us something about your week so far, please.
Given the unseasonably warm hot temps, we didn't plan anything special for the holiday weekend.
Tom cleaned out all the rain gutters and power-washed the deck -- while I made super-spicy Pimento cheese. Yum! I just didn't stop to think how much it yielded. What a shame I can't send some to y'all!
(1 of 3 containers!)
We also indulged in our once-every-three-months rib fest.
And I fell in love with my new Champs BBQ shirt!
Finally, just because the expression on Grace's face made me laugh out loud ...
Does this beg a caption, or what?!
Happy Hump Day … stay safe!
Hugs, Myra









Oh my goodness... I laughed out loud too with the pup pic! Have a great Wednesday!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Jodi! You do the same!
DeleteGrace is a sweetie!!! Loved your poem.. very inspiring and well written! You certainly have a knack!
ReplyDeleteAw, my baby … thanks for saying that!
Deletecaption... What is that SMELL? bol bol
ReplyDeletewhen I retired I came in on my last day at work and my team had decorated my desk/cubicle with 1000 papperclips. I could not sit in my chair without cleaning it. I brought all of them home in a plastic box, a lifetime supply of bright colored paperclips, some big some medium. 13 years later I still have at least 800 plus.
have not heard about the paper clip project until today...
the line in your poem that smacked me up side my head is
Let go of others, whose only sins aren't sins at all; but challenge my peace of mind. WOW! truer words were never spoken, thanks for the insight;
the thing about putting south in my mouth, THAT is why I have been fat all my life, south in the mouth
That retirement 'gift' is so funny! I bet they hated to see you go!
DeletePS forgot to say I hemmed skirts and pant legs many times with paper clips
ReplyDelete'Wish I'd thought of that. Scotch tape is nasty.
DeleteBest use for paper clips: At work we filled a colleague's umbrella with paper clips. That evening, as he left to go home it started raining. He opened his umbrella and was showered in paper clips. The next day he said nothing. He sat at his desk fuming and glaring at us. No one dared look at him in case we burst out laughing.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
That is so funny!
DeleteAgain sweet person, you bowl me over. You bring up many things I have forgotten or did not know. I did not know of the Holocaust paperclip project, but what a symbol!
ReplyDeleteOf course love the 'pooch pic!' LOL
I loved Sandra's comment!
Good one,
Sherry & jack 'We are warm(!) here in NC !
Thank you so much, Jack!
DeletePS: Victor and his 'bunch' ain't nice! hahahahaha
ReplyDeleteBoys will be boys!
DeleteWhat a fascinating project with the paper clips! What a good visible reminder of so many innocent lives lost! I remember making paperclip chains on boring days at work, LOL. Nowadays I can't think of the last time I used one and what I used it for. Probably in gathering things needed for taxes.
ReplyDeleteYum on those ribs and that salad! Look mighty tasty!
I liked your May poem! Now on to June!
betty
Thanks, Betty. Yes, the horrors of the Holocaust should never be forgotten.
DeleteWhat a nice poem for May! Here I am ready for it to go. Love it! Loved your answers! Have a nice week!
ReplyDeletehttps://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/
Thanks, Lori! Ready or not, Summer here we come!
DeleteYour food looks delicious (especially the ribs) and your pup is adorable!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for saying that, Cathy. She's our baby girl.
DeleteOh yum! You have me dreaming about ribs now!!! YUM!
ReplyDeleteI think I'd rather have those tasty ribs than a steak!
DeleteWhy am I suddenly craving spicy pimento cheese and BBQed ribs?
ReplyDeleteAnd why am I wondering if plain old silver paper clips still exist? I suppose the Disneyesque rainbow of colors are more salable....and creative.
I'm sorry to say that National Paper Clip Day does very little to spark me with excitement.
But I appreciate your ode to May, with the "silent anniversaries of my heart"....
Surprised that you caught that line? No. Anyone who authored "Love Letters to Ghosts" 'gets' it. Thank you!
DeleteMyra, I love your May poem! And thank you for joining in on this very strange Medley! I saw you post on Facebook to commemorate the day. The Little Dill Deli opened across from the Internationale Mall in Tampa. I'm going over there one of these days, sooner rather than later!!
ReplyDeleteOh, I hope and pray you love it like I used to! Now my taste buds are running amok!
DeleteOkay I really enjoyed the paper clip information. I never heard of that Jewish project with the paper clips. We used to measure in math using paper clips. And I never thought about using them for Christmas ornaments - but I will now. Sandie
ReplyDeleteI never heard of using paper clips as measuring devices in math!
ReplyDeleteThe ribs look yummy, but you can keep the pimento cheese! I hope you all are staying cool in the heat. Crazy spring we're having...roasting in the south and either blowing or floating to OZ in the rest of the country!
ReplyDeleteI'm beginning to suspect Mother Nature's bi-polar!
DeleteI'd never heard of that paper clip project before, but it's a great idea. It's darned near impossible to wrap our brains around the number six million, but SEEING it represented by tangible items goes straight to the heart of just how many people died.
ReplyDeleteI've never made paper clip chains, but as a young girl, my friends and I made ridiculously long chains from chewing gum wrappers. (I wonder if girls in other parts of the country did the same thing...) And as newlyweds, my hubby and his pals used to make chains from pop tops. We had a curtain made of them hanging in a doorway in our basement. :)
Oh, I remember making those gum wrapper chains … tho' I'd be REALLY hard-pressed to remember just how!
DeleteMe, too.
DeleteOMGOSH- Thank you for finding me. I had never heard the paper clip 'story' before until I read it on Terri's blog. Amazing-horrible that there even need to be a tribute to something that never should have happened.
ReplyDeleteI also found a 'hack' here I can use. We have open-wire style waste baskets in the office I work at and I put liners in them. Every time I dump them the liners come out. LOL No More!!!
I am your newest follower and will put you on my sidebar--I read from there. Have a wonderful, wonderful weekend- Hugs-Diana
Color me, delighted! I hope yours is great, as well!
DeleteI use paper clips in the traditional sense but was getting tired of the bank and/or credit union keeping them when I used the drive up window. I made curtains with pop tops when I was a teen. I use to use a paperclip to save a magazine page but sometime it leaves an indentation. I hope your week will be beautiful just like you! HUGS
ReplyDelete