Wednesday, May 1, 2019

May Day!






Woo-hoo, everyone!  It's May Day!
Terri cites some interesting facts about the origin of May Day, to include harvesting flowers and giving them to neighbors and strangers in cone-shaped baskets.  The current tradition is observed by hanging a cone-shaped basket full of flowers or other gifts on the outside doorknob, then knocking or ringing the doorbell and running away.
To learn more, just click here!

Let's play the Medley!

* * *

Did you celebrate this when you were a child by dancing around a Maypole or leaving flowers on someone's porch?  Will you be celebrating a special occasion in May?

I don't recall any Maypoles, but yes to the baskets.  I suppose I was 5 or 6 years old.  My dad would help fashion cones from construction paper and I'd stuff them with dandelions and blooms from nearby lilac bushes.  The original ding-dong-dash!
  

National Mother Goose Day was founded in 1987.  Can you name a nursery rhyme that would fit your life as it was in 1987?  If you are a youngster and not yet born in 1987, you may pass, of course, but do you have a favorite nursery rhyme?  Here is a list!

No favorites.  But because my personal life was somewhat wonky in '87, I'll go with Pop, Goes the Weasel.


National Chocolate Parfait Day is also honored on this day.  Parfait means perfect in French.  Tell us about a perfect day, in your mind, and would/could it end with a chocolate parfait?

Fun assignment, Terri!  
A few years ago I wouldn't hesitate to say, any day out at sea.  Unfortunately, cruising isn't at all what it once was.

OK, let's begin with a sunny, dry day in the mid-50's.  I'm up early to witness the sunrise with a big mug of French Roast coffee.  A hearty breakfast 'out' with a good friend or two, followed by an excursion to an antique mall - or perhaps, an arts and crafts festival.  Next, a massage and a nap.  Finally, a 'dress up' leisurely dinner, followed by a nice glass of port and a cigarette.
  Color me a little sad that leisurely dining seems to have gone the way of the dinosaur.  Plus, I no longer smoke.  Darn it. 
Hold the chocolate and pass the butter pecan.  Please.


National School Principal's Day was founded to celebrate these school administrators who support and guide quality teachers and staff to provide productive learning environments for our children.  Did you have a good principal when you were in school?  Do you remember his/her name?

I've no clue.


And perhaps the most important one is Silver Star Service Banner Day which honors the sacrifices of the combat wounded, ill and dying service members from all branches of the military.  Do you have family members who have served this country in uniform?  Tell us about them, if you will.

Why, yes.  My father, my husband, my son and new grandson-in-law have/are serving honorably in the U.S. Navy and Army.

Dad and mother

Tom

This is actually son's senior photo from Florida Air Academy



Joshua and Sarah


Coming of age during the height of the Viet Nam war, I don't know that I'd have had the courage, the discipline.
I'm immeasurably proud of each of them!


It's Hump Day!  How is your week going so far?

Pretty good, actually!
Funny, Terri's mention of a perfect day; I enjoyed something close Saturday morning.

Now I'm hardly a 'shopper/spender' -- but I love a good estate sale.  The day before I was all enthused about a sale taking place in a 'nicer' area of town …. if only to glimpse the inside of the 6,000+ sq. foot home.  (Imagine their a/c bill?)
Soooo bummed, not seeing anything to quench the money burning a hole in my pocket.  Ha!

Gotta say, Tom is so indulgent, so patient.  Even if it's not his thing, he'll sit and wait.  Which leaves me feeling uncomfortable.  So happy when he made plans to attend a fly-in Saturday morning, leaving me to spend as much time as I liked at the antique mall.

Score one for the empty wall space beside my bed.  

'Not sure what I'll put in it ... but I'm leaning towards certain motivational, happy snippets I've seen here in Blogland.  Best of all, I can change them around whenever the mood strikes!

And, I crossed something off my Alabama bucket list!

OK, I know cast iron skillets aren't specific to Alabama. Ha.
But realizing it needs to 'season' (3 times!) in a 375* oven for an hour, it may be December before I use it for anything but its good looks.  Would you believe, the darn thing weighs 13lbs. 4oz!

This made me smile!




… and so do y'all!  Please stay safe!
Hugs,
Myra









40 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your post today. Nice to have a mooch around without the pressure of hubby patiently waiting for you. Serving your country definitely runs in your family. Thanks for sharing your pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ADORE Estate sales.Better luck next time. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm late having discovered them, but doing my best to make up for lost time!

      Delete
  3. I love that last sign. can't tell you how many times I thought about it overnight and lost it, but that was many years ago. I don't buy wants now, only needs. but I used to wander the antique stores on my day off when Bob was working. he does NOT wait patiently any where for anything. to me the perfect day at this time in my life is the 2 hours Bob goes to the park and I get the DVR remote to watch the programs I like. also the perfect day starts with when I weigh myself at 4 am BEFORE I drink my coffee, if the scale is the same or less YAY!!! my brother was in Nam and 2 of my uncles were in WWII.. my first husband was Air force and my first son was born I AF hospital.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unlike that sign! 99% of the time, if something's not a 'need' I make myself wait. More often than not, after a cooling off period it didn't seem as desirable.

      Delete
  4. forgot to say no clue with you on principals, and we did not have one until I was 16 and I knew his office was where the bad kids went. never heard of Mayday until I was an adult and my kids were in school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Only the 'bad' kids were sent to the principal's office.

      Delete
  5. Okay lady, this one is too full, love it. I am smiling, love the picture of your Dad & mom. Oh and Tom, I am glad to see he has not changed.... well much?.... I look at his picture and remember mine and thing, 'The let teenagers in service back then, I mean kids!' LOL
    Principals? Yep you remember them when they like you so much you get called to the office over the loud speakers... Mr Johnson in Valdese, NC and Mr. Courtner in Belmont, NC. I was a popular skinny kid! LOL
    Love it, I do remember the May pole, but not the flowers...
    Sherry & jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jack! OK, I think you've just dis-proved Sandra's (and mine) presumptions about those who's names are called over the loud speakers.

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed seeing all the handsome military service men in your life. I too enjoy a good estate sale but haven't been in a few years. We just don't need to add anything else for our kids to have to deal with when that time comes. Loved the story about your daddy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Even the glassware and objects d'art my parents held so dear, is of little use to my son or his daughters.

      Delete
  7. Good looking soldiers!! I have yet to own a good cast iron skillet.. one day maybe! Have a great Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That last is so true! If you see and you love it, you had better go ahead and get it!! Myra, thanks for joining the Medley today! I am liking everyone's perfect day so far!! Wasn't it fun to leave a bouquet, ring the doorbell and then RUN!! I can still feel the excitement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After 15 years working with mostly young people, I love being able to share like-kind memories!

      Delete
  9. I like that sign! Wow with that cast iron! You could get your work out just lifting in 10 times a day!

    Great tradition of service your family has! I thank them all!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? You should have seen Tom's face when he went to lift it!

      Delete
  10. Cast iron is the bomb, Myra! We use our pans all the time here. And yes, my father served in the army as did my grandfather. We are so proud of our Giovanni for joining the Air Force.
    Happy May Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to use it … hopefully, I can 'call' on you for advice?

      Delete
  11. I have always heard about May day but have never done it with a pole or anything. Chocolate Parfait day sounds good - this is sinful - but do you have a Cheesecake Factory by you? Try there Hot Fudge Sunday - to die for. And wow you sure did have a military influence - I thank them. sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Cheesecake Factory is my all-time favorite restaurant; but alas. The nearest one is up by Birmingham, 2 hours away.

      Delete
  12. I know what you mean about leisurely dinners. We seldom linger because usually someone is waiting for the table, however, when we are home, we do linger. I'm glad to see you don't smoke anymore, but I do remember enjoying a smoke with a cup of coffee. Not worth it though. I have three cast iron skillets and use them quite often! And I love an estate sale when it's in a big house in a great neighborhood! Fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point about observing the art of lingering. Thank you for pointing out, it needn't be outside the home.

      Delete
  13. I'm amazed that the cast iron skillet weighs 13 lbs. Keep it by your bedside at night. You could use it to kill an unwanted intruder.

    I always associate May Day with those Communist parade celebrations.
    Anyway, we never had any May Poles when I was in school. The paper cones with flowers is a nice idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a bad idea … but my upper body strength is lacking and I'd probably wind up wonking one of the pups.

      Delete
  14. Thank-you to your family for their service! Loved your answers! Have a great day!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are right to be so proud of your family, Mevely.

    Dancing round the Maypole is supposed to be an English thing. I never saw it around here. We still do however have Morris Dancers. Do you know what they are?

    See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2mlWZJSGr4

    I bet I can guess what you're thinking!

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never heard of the Morris Dancers! They're actually quite good, but I wish they were smiling a little more. How disappointing there were so few bystanders!

      Delete
  16. I can only remember participating in one May Day celebration, complete with the streamer-decorated pole, and that was in third grade or so. I don't know why we didn't do it before then, or why it pooped out afterwards, but from what I remember, it was fun. Lots of singing and dancing outside in the schoolyard.

    Lots of military folks in our family, too. My father, brother, hubby, son, and grandson. When my hubby was in Nam, I received his Purple Heart in the mail... without any indication of what happened when, or how badly he was injured. Fun times! (And I don't miss 'em a bit!)

    Your skillet is beautiful. (I've got a thing for the color red.) I had some iron skillets, but I gave them to my daughter, because they don't work well with our current stove. Yours looks very similar to ours, so I hope the pan works okay with yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First, please extend my thanks to your hubby for his service. I still cringe, remembering the way those returning were treated.
      Uh-oh on the skillet's incompatibility with your stove. Perhaps I should do my research?

      Delete
  17. Sweet finds! If we ever meet in person we are so gonna have to hit some yard/estate sales, auctions, antique malls, or whatever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be so awesome! Meet you in the middle! :)

      Delete
  18. Love your May Day post, especially the Red Skillet ! I've tried to decorate the kitchen with red utensils but haven't any read pans yet. I'm going to be on the look out now! Oh yes, we always did the May baskets when I was young. Flowers are such a thoughtful way to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Pam! Much of my home is done in earth tones, so I was attracted to this 'pop' ... as they say on HGTV. :)

      Delete
  19. I used to hear about May poles and I always liked the concept, but we never had that when I was a kid. We had a tether ball pole and that was as close as we came.

    Favorite nursery rhyme? "Diddle Diddle Dumpling" It's the first one I remember learning. Though in 1987 my rhyme might have been "Jack Be Nimble" even though I was getting less nimble, I felt like I was jumping over all sorts of candlesticks.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, the rites of passage. Congrats on having made it in one piece!

      Delete
  20. Sister Benita Coffee OSB was my favorite principal! Later to be replaced by the sister of Satan himself and her twin, from another mother and father in my all girls high school! Thank you to all who served in your phamily. We have a long list too.Love the photos you shared.Always loved May Day! Catholics were big celebrating it all in honor of Mary the Mother of Jesus. We have never taken a cruise. My cousin Kay has done 29 this year! LOL! My late brother-in-law Gary was from Michigan where his dad was a riverboat chef.Son-in-law Roger's grandpa was a shrimp boat captain and he was featured in National Geographics in the 1960's. I have not touched a cigarette for over 43 years along with my hubby too. But we have a daughter who smokes, smokes, smokes those cigarettes! I tend to buck the system so today at our anniversary lunch I was dressed up. Avery is a blue jeans guy F-Sa-Su. Pat A Cake Pat A Cake Baker's Man....Love that red cast iron ! ALways my pleasure to be here. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you … dressing up, that is! If you're happy and you know it, flaunt it!!! I'd love to take a riverboat cruise sometime.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!