Saturday, June 16, 2018

... and that's the way it is


Oh my goodness!  Does anyone else agree, the calendar needs to pull over and take a break?  :)

In between waiting on appliance repairmen, resurrecting old recipes and copious naps … well, life in the slow lane seems to be going pretty dang fast.    More about that later.  Maybe a Foodie Friday? … is that even a thing?    

Meanwhile …

When was the last time -- or should I say, have you ever been awakened in the middle of the night, suspecting a break-in?   Even when the tree toppled onto my car, our dogs slept throughout the storm.   Normally, I swear they can hear a mouse piddle on a cotton ball but all that squirrel sentry business is taking its toll.  

Except.  Near 3AM last Tuesday Macie and Grace commenced to jump off the bed growling and barking … racing down the hall, while I'm still desperately patting inside my nightstand for the gun. Doing a pathetic imitation of Police Woman (remember Angie Dickinson?) I crept about the interior to discover … NOTHING.   Of course.  Save two dogs staring at me like I'd grown a second head.  



No where to run (across the street)



Were it not for the great folks at Trees, etc. who worked all day to remove trees and that nasty kudzu, I'd have really been a basket case!


 Parking pad, before and after



West side of the back yard, before and after


Naturally, Tom never stirred.  But he got an ear-full the next morning.   Maybe he's not watched enough True Crime episodes, but I don't think the poor soul has a smidgen of "what if?" in him.  All the same, I've begun keeping my car keys on the nightstand.  See, after employing the car alarm + the siren on our weather radio I figure there's time to get out the window.   No, I've not yet tried the latch, but it sits only a few inches off the floor, so there's little likelihood I'll break my neck.   



Have you a plan?



# # #




Guess I'd better wrap this up before I talk your ears off.  Except. Well.  May I share a few tidbits first?



Our Pastor Janet (left) has begun facilitating a Thursday morning walk the park.  I was sure grateful the rain held off … my kneecaps cooperated … and (best!) I'd the opportunity to make new friends!




What a bummer, come August I won't be able to join them anymore
… on account I just accepted a new part-time job!  
I'll be supporting a one-woman graphics design office + help proctor test candidates.  I'm pretty nervous, but excited, too!




Before doing so … drum-roll, please?
With Tom's blessing, I'm going to take the Camry on little road trip next month.  There are two or three of you I can't wait to meet.  





… finally, prayers are appreciated for Grand #1 and her sweetie as they drive home from Virginia following Josh's graduation.   Aren't they cute?






Thanks for visiting … be good … be safe!

Hugs,
Myra













26 comments:

  1. First of all, everything on the photos looks MUCH better after the tree removal. And you'll have a lot more space to run, in case a homicidal maniac is chasing you in the middle of the night (*smile*).

    I don't really have an "escape" plan if I'm accosted by intruders.But I do have a gun and know how to use it. My cell phone won't do much good because I'm sure it would take the cops a few days to find my place here in the wilderness. I can always jump out a window and run into the forest.
    When I first moved here, I was spooked for about the first two weeks, but now I thoroughly enjoy the isolation and never get scared.
    Well, ALMOST never.

    Good luck on your upcoming part-time job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jon! While we're not in the wilderness, per se, I've little faith in law enforcement's response time. What's that saying? "He helps those who help themselves."

      Delete
  2. Another job? Good for you. So retirement didn't "stick" for you, huh? Lots of our friends went semi stir-crazy after they retired, but we've loved it since day one.

    Yeah, you could say we're prepared for any kind of break-in or emergency. More like over-prepared, if there can be such a thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, cabin fever's got the best of me. Being prepared is good, but over-prepared is even better!

      Delete
  3. First, I am SO excited for you and your new parttime job!! It really sounds interesting! Do keep us posted. I sure wish I was one of the blogging friends you are driving to meet. One day, the two of us will share a meal. It has to happen, Myra! Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will, Terri … thanks!
      Now, I SHOULD have said, "a big road trip." Be careful what you wish for, dear friend. :) Details soon!

      Delete
  4. Love the pictures!!!
    Oh yes, I fully understand the part time job. Flat out retirement is tough. I consider what I have done since retirement as part time jobs. I need it and I think you do also. I believe you will love it. The stress level is usually low and you can have some fun...
    (And besides Tom can do nothing or anything without supervision!) Love you girl Good entry (as always).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you for saying that, Jack. Yes. Like my dad, I suppose I need a diversion; an agenda. Regretfully, his was a self-fulfilling prophesy: "If I retire, I'll die early." Not 3 months before his first and final heart attack.

      Delete
  5. Those before & after pics are great and that sweet granddaughter is a cutie. Looks like your walker friends are a fun group. Congrats on getting a new job; I wish you the best. The policewoman story is funny! Love it. Happy Father's Day to Tom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Mary! I hope your Tom had a blessed day as well!

      Delete
  6. Congrats on the part-time job!! Sounds like it will be an interesting adventure! Great before and after pictures too. That would be scary wondering what got the dogs all riled up. I think I would have woken Tom up, LOL.

    Your road trip sounds intriguing :)

    Praying for safe travel for your granddaughter and her sweetie. They make a great looking couple.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Betty! There are a few details needing ironed out, but I'm taking the south-bound lanes to Florida.
      Sarah and Josh arrived safely last night!

      Delete
  7. Praying as requested. Wishing you all great happiness and good health. Congratulations on your new job.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have no idea WHY but from the day I retired in 2006, time went in to fast forward warp speed ahead. I can hardly type for rolling on the floor laughing because you have just proved what we have suspected since we met, that we are indeed sisters from another mother... I not only have agun by the bed but another in another room close to the DOORS... all 3 doors are at one end of the house, I have a breakin plan and a fire plan. I have a husband that hears nothing and now that Jake is deaf not even a barking dog.
    there is one small difference. IF I hear something, I shake bob by the shoulder until he wakes up and MIME I hear something. he is hard to wake and I often wonder if someone came down the hall and I fired the pistol would he even hear that? LOL....
    glad you found a part time job, if I could find one I did not hate I would do it to.. this one sounds like a low stress job. good luck... my what iffer is as tall as the tower in paris that I can't spell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I'm hoping my first impressions were spot on; my new boss is a friendly German lady who loves dogs and rescue kitties. (YAY) She never even asked for or looked at my resume!

      Delete
  9. are you coming through Birmingham, Alabama on your road trip? If so, I would love to meet you! Someone actually broke into my sister's home last week - she was not home and I'm so glad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How frightening on the break-in! I'm actually headed south, but would love to meet you someday. We're not that far apart!

      Delete
    2. sounds great -- maybe meet for lunch one Saturday!

      Delete
  10. Being awaken in the middle of the night would be scary for sure. NO guns here at my house, but I do have that spray to ward off anyone. I'd probably sleep right though it all though as I am dead to the world once I go to sleep. Love the picture of your Thursday morning walk group. Everything is looking great around your house. Will definitely pray for safe travels for Grand 1. Glad your new job will only be part time. Life in the slow lane is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How I wish I could sleep soundly again! Unfortunately, I'm always hyper aware of my DH's and the dogs' movements. Thank you for your prayers … Sarah and Josh arrived home safely!

      Delete
  11. Yes, time is just moving way too fast for me! No we don't have a plan. Congratulations on your part time job. I wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  12. congrats on the parttime job. the new improved driveway pad looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wanted to let you know that I didn't get your email. ??? Maybe try marainey01 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on your job! It will soon be 7 years of retirement for me and I've never once wanted a part-time job. Of course four of those years I took care of Richard so maybe they don't count. My plan for an intruder: pick up my big stick at my bedside and tell them to take whatever it is they have come for. I could never shoot anyone. And there is a No GUN policy in my house. Of course except for my cop son. And once in a great while a gun-toting brother. I'll add extra PRAYERS for your safe journey alone. Maybe it will inspire me to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on your new job! I am constantly checking lights, locks, windows etc. With this heat we do leave windows open in the summer as the a/c bill will be astronomical anyway! We do have guns so that is a comfort. Leo is usually a good sound off when he hears strange noises. Even the fat cat will alert me if something seems wrong. LOL! He can move quickly too with all that extra weight. Safe travels to you. You are a brave adventurer. I like company, I know I am weird. Rebekah use to takwe off alone driving the cornfields of Nebraska to see an old flame. I hope your holiday is blessed and beautiful. HUGS

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!