I don't think a week goes by that I don't have to coordinate with Security and Housekeeping to locate, package and return guests' personal effects. Often, it's cell phone chargers left behind. But I'll never forget 4 place settings of stoneware ... or a World Series Championship ring.
Once I suggested -- but my GM ixnayed -- our agents asking guests at check-out, "Have you checked under your bed? ... in your safe? ... behind the bathroom door?"
Just when I start to get cranky, I have to remind myself of my beloved Tweety-Bird pillow left behind in a nameless west Texas motel room ....
or, the pile Christmas presents I left under the tree on our way to Florida. (Nearly to Fort Worth, yes. We turned around.)
While travelling, have you ever left any of your personal effects behind?
Did you get them back?
Hugs from Phoenix,
Myra



I can't remember leaving anything behind, but we found a Brooks Brothers dress shirt in a drawer of a hotel once and it was Joe's size. He kept it. Probably should have turned it in but we really doubted anyone would come back for a shirt.
ReplyDeleteI don't blame y'all!
DeleteExcept in my world that -- 'evidence of a prior guest' - would be an automatic FAIL on one of our semi-annual Q.A. audits.
Before I comment I have been meaning to comment on your side bar. Love all the pictures. Never met Tom but I like him.
ReplyDeleteWhile hiking the AT we once over nighted in Mull's Motel in Hiawassee, Georgia. For a b bath and meal then headed out the next day. Once on the trail, about five miles realized we had left the hiking 'sticks' that I had made for us in the Yukon. Sherry called the motel, Mrs. Mull said they would be there when we got back thru Hiawassee. They were.
Now, that's a feel-good answer! 'Nice to know there are still mom-and-pop establishments that look after their own.
Deletenever have left a thing unintentionally. did leave some cedar sachets for the drawers though. thought they might drum up business.
ReplyDeleteOK, I'm intrigued. Did/do you create such sachets?
DeleteSon had a favorite baby blanket he took everywhere. He was probably about 3 at the time when we left it at a motel, however, we managed to I do not know. I tried frantically to get it back from the motel, called multiple times, they never located it.
ReplyDeleteHubby left his wedding ring one time at a hotel. The hotel called the home and asked for him. Would only talk with him. I think out of discretion just in case he was "messing around." (I had no worries). It was a cheap replacement ring he often took when he went out of town just in case it got lost so he just told them to throw it away.
Wow a World Series Championship ring. You think someone would have been better looking out for it.
betty
Interesting! For legal reasons, we're not permitted to ever contact a guest; the 'burden' is on them to reach out (and identify) anything left behind.
DeleteSmiling, remembering our housekeeping associates wanting their picture taken wearing that ring. Only time in my life I've had to send something via Registered Mail.
Even though my mind is often dangerously flustered, I'm always very careful about not leaving things behind - especially when traveling. I'm kinda paranoid about stuff like that.
ReplyDeleteI remember once - long ago - my mother accidentally left a very expensive handmade pair of Italian boots at the MGM Grand Hotel in Las Vegas. She never got them back.
That's so rotten! I'll bet she was sick.
DeleteMy hubby's just like you, scouring the room like a CSI investigator!
as I read this I was patting myself on the back because I have never left anything behind while traveling, but then I remembered that yesterday I drove to the YMCA and left my glasses on the sink in my bathroom. I can see enough to drive but since they are on my license, it would have been not pleasant if stopped. I am slightly OCD or maybe more than that so don't have the problem. or did not.
ReplyDeleteof course I have never owned a tweety bird pillow but if I did I would remember. I love tweety bird. your ixnay word catapulted me back in time to learning pig latin. my mother and her sister would TRY to talk around us kids and I quickly learned it.
LOL on the pig Latin!
DeleteIt's been more than 40 years, but I still miss that stinkin' happy pillow. My toddler son 'bought' it for me after a surgery and it was the only thing that ever propped my neck perfectly.
When I was a kid my mother would always tell us to check to be sure we had everything, and then she would find something I forgot and give me the "I thought you had everything" speech. Well one time I saw her favorite nightgown hanging on the back of the bathroom door. I was going to wait until the last minute and then be the one to give her the speech - and by the time we left I forgot about it! I fessed up when we arrived at our destination. My mother, who never used foul language, called me a little bitch. I thought that was the funniest thing ever, which made the situation even worse. I don't think my mom ever forgave me for that lol!
ReplyDeleteOh Martha ... that's hysterical! I almost blew coffee out my nose when I read this!
DeleteI cannot remember leaving something behind but this post reminds me of the time one of my granddaughters came to visit and her mom had sent along a check list to make sure she packed everything back in her suitcase when she left. I thought that was a great idea. My granddaughter checked of each item before closing the lid.
ReplyDeleteThat's a GRAND idea, for sure! Worthy of Heloise. (... or, is she still around, I wonder?)
DeleteMy then 10 year old daughter left her little purse in a hotel one time. We got it back, minus the eight dollars that was in it.
ReplyDeleteThat's so sad. I'm sure she still remembers it ... like I do my red 'bucket' purse that went missing in a Disneyland bathroom when I was 10.
DeleteI can't ever remember leaving anything behind. I check and double check. Pretty OCD about that!
ReplyDeleteGood for you!
DeleteFunny. When I was looking for a photo/graphic to accompany this post, I saw something, "54% of people admit to having left something behind in a hotel room." Today's comments practically underscore that, too!
Tom purchased one of those "my pillows" for me when I had my dental restorations done in Yuma last year. We almost drove out of the hotel parking lot when I realized I left it on the hotel bed. He had to go back and rescue it for me!
ReplyDeleteWhen we traveled to Australia and Thailand we made a stop in Tokyo Japan. We couldn't go futherthan the airport so I bought a set of sake cups. Left them (and my travel journal) on the plane alog with some cosmetics I had purchased duty free. Contacted the airlines after we were home. The described the journal to me over the phone and said they had it and the other things. Gave them my address. Never received the items. None of them. Next time I contacted them they said they had never had them. I'm thinking a un-trust worthy employee! What I really, really wanted was the journal. But I never got it!
ReplyDeleteJust came here to say hi. I saw your blog mentioned at Betty's and since I started a new blog, I am reading other peoples blogs again too.
ReplyDeleteI guess it's very common to forget things at hotels. This summer I had hung out my bathing suit to dry on the balcony, and totally forgot it there! So bummed about that. I called about it, but they said it was not there! :(
I once left a comfy pair of shoes in a motel in Durango, CO. They mailed them to me and I refunded the postage as it was a small mom and pop place. My sister was a maid years ago in a brand new hotel that had the golf course and all other amenities. They had lots of mafia don types frequent the place with their "lady" friends and my sister was amazed at the beautiful expensive things they would throw away. Leather barely used handbags, clothing and costume jewelry. The other maids would divvy up the stuff after the week ended. Airlines are the worst and DIA in Denver is the worst airport to have things stolen from your luggage. You never see homeland security around there!!
ReplyDelete