Today's question comes from something I spotted on Facebook ...
What's a popular word or phrase that
you find particularly annoying?
For instance?
I hate when customer service reps, food servers, etc. say "no problem" when I say, "thank you" .....
Whatever happened to, "You're welcome"?
Feeling old in Phoenix :)
Myra


That's a good one. I think for me it's the saying: "It is what it is."
ReplyDeleteI never considered that one ... but several folks (on FB) answered that way, too!
Deletenow I am in big trouble, I not only have said no problem but say it is what it is half dozen times a day. the only words that bother me are people spouting the F word for no reason at all and punctuating every sentence with that word
ReplyDeleteNaw! :)
DeleteTom and I say "No problem" to each other all the time! Since hearing our guest services agents saying it to guests, I'm trying to break myself of the habit.
TOTALLY agree with you about the 'f' word!!!
I agree Myra. I have been hearing that (no problem) a lot more frequently. Mine is 'K' whether in response to a text or to me saying something. Is it really that hard to type or say okay??
ReplyDeleteThat's a new one! It seems like everyone's in a hurry now days, doesn't it?
DeleteI don't know where to begin, because I hate almost every "current" word or phrase that's in use. I never thought about the "no problem" one - but you're absolutely right.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I agree with Paula's comment about the "K" response to a text.
I still get irrationally irritated when I hear "awesome"! I HATE that word.
The word "vintage" is grossly overused. It provokes the jeeters out of me when someone says "I have some vintage furniture from the 1990s".
Hell, I have underwear from the 1960s....
And I'm INFURIATED by anything that is remotely politically correct. We are no longer allowed to mention gender, race, or any semblance of a handicap.
But I'm on a rant.
Excuse me while I try to calm down....
Awesome, yep. I've a friend who practically cringes when she hears the overused "amazing."
DeleteI am also guilty but I don't do it often. I also use awesome. I don't use the F word though!
ReplyDeleteHa! Me, too (about awesome). I don't shrink in horror, but my GM and AGM - both females - use the F-word all day.
DeleteI don't think I have one with either a phrase or a word, though it does drive me crazy when hubby says no problem when I say something that could potentially be a problem. I probably cause people to cringe when I text back "cool" to whatever they are saying. Is cool even an in word these days?
ReplyDeletebetty
Hubbies do that ... ya, they do! :)
DeleteTho' I've not heard "cool" in years, it makes me smile ... remembering the way we were.
no problem is a good one i too hear alot these days. a simple, you're welcome would do, you are right. i use the words indeed and for sure alot more than i should.
ReplyDeleteMe, too! Isn't it curious - but fun - how we unconsciously grow to imitate one another?
DeleteI love joining you around the water cooler! I hear that phrase often too. Your welcome does seem to have gotten lost somewhere along the line...no problem, seems to indicate it was an easy task and they had no problem doing it...still you said thank you and should deserve a You're Welcome.
ReplyDeleteWhy, thank you! Like popular names, I suppose certain expressions ebb and fall. It's all good!
DeleteHi Myra! So glad to see you are still blogging. I've finally returned to the land of blogs myself. I'm heading out of town now but I'll catch up more with you when I return. Have a great weekend! :)
ReplyDeleteWow ... it's great to 'see' you back, Martha. I'm looking forward to catching up with you, as well!
DeleteI've never thought about that but I must say that when I read it the "no problem" gave me a funny feeling in my stomach. I guess I don't like it either.
ReplyDeleteYikes! I hope I've not given anyone the impression of being a "Miss Manners" over here. Around friends/family I'm like, "Whatever" ... instead, I'm talking about strangers and clientele.
DeleteIt annoys the living daylights out of me when someone says, "any way, shape, or form." A wee bit redundant, are we? It also bugs me when the phrase, so-and-so "went missing." Even the newspapers use that one. That one bugs me so much, if a phrase like that is used in a book blurb, I won't read the book. (Such a narrow-minded old broad!) I figure if the language in the blurb, in which a writer SHOULD be kinda "putting on the dog" to interest readers, contains annoying phrases, (or bad punctuation, misspellings, etc.) what in the world will the BOOK be like?
ReplyDeleteOh, I AM guilty of saying "cool," so I reckon that means I still AM what I was... :)
A wee bit, yes! :) I never considered either of those ... now you bet-cha I won't soon forget!
DeleteThanks for playing along, Susan!
Great post and I LOVE so many comments to your post too. I am guilty of saying awesome! I say cool too, a sign of my age, I guess. But I struggle with my mouth so I hate to hear people say the F bomb all over the place! My nephew has a son, a grown man, in his 20's, and I was taught to love all my relatives so I approached him at social media, all he could say was, "F" yea! "THat's "F"ing right, etc. etc. U G H ! Learn some words, go to a thrift store and buy a dictionary, you might learn a few words other then inappropriate bad language. I do not like to be called "dude" and it seems to be a term of endearment with the younger generation. I worked with a girl, who, if she liked you, said "dude" a lot!AGain I struggle being free of bad language so I hate to be around it! No one seems to care these days! Perhaps the younger generation doesn't care. I liked reading this post and the responses to it. Thank you Myra. HUGS
ReplyDeleteDude! Only a couple weeks ago I was trying to talk my hairdresser off the edge (LOL) because one of his young stylists won't stop saying "Dude" and, in fact, texted him with that salutation. He's so upset and has vowed to fire her.
DeleteLaughing at your suggestion to buy your great nephew a dictionary.
,"oh, it will be ok"...when you have shared a deep hurt...I am not fond of causal remarks...
ReplyDeleteI totally agree, Betty. That's just ignorant. Or, as my DIL is fond of saying, "Some people have no filter."
DeleteOh my goodness, I was rereading this post and saw this comment from Betty and your response! It reminded me of why I don't care for Oprah! I watched her show one day at the suggestion of a friend. She was talking to a woman who had a husband who was a serial rapist/murderer! Oprah hugged her and said, I Know how you feel! Wow! Never knew she married a serial killer and understood the lady's pain! Unbelievable! I worked with a grumpy doctor who would come into the main office and say , how are you today? If someone said , ok except I have a headache, he'd cut you off, and say, if I wanted your medical history I would have asked! He was a great guy for lots of stuff, small talk was not one of them! So now you know I do not like Oprah or her line of soup named after herself! U G H !
ReplyDelete