Saturday, January 22, 2022

Saturday 9 - I'm the Only One

 


Hey there!

My head's been all over the place this week.  Since that's not necessarily a great place, how about we play a little Q-and-A?  Thanks, Sam!


Unfamiliar with this week's tune?  (Me, too.)  Hear it here!



Melissa Etheridge sings this song as though her heart is breaking.  What's your favorite love song?  Is it about falling in love, being in love, or losing love?   There's too many to pick just one, but here's an enduring favorite.


 



'I'm the Only One' is a favorite song of American Idol contestants, having been performed four different times.  We we were to have a Saturday 9 karaoke night, what song would you do?  Given my vocal skills (not!) ..... Send in the Clowns seems appropriate.



A rocker at heart, Melissa Etheridge began her career in her teen years, playing with local country groups.  Which do you enjoy more: country or rock?  Classic country.



In 1985 Melisssa sent a demo to Olivia Records, hoping for a record deal.  She was rejected.  Her debut CD was released in 1988 on the Island label and went gold.  Tell us about a time you bounced back from professional adversity.   1975: I'd been recently terminated from my job.  Broke and depressed, I was hardly in the mood to 'party' -- yet my BF convinced me to go and meet 'a friend' who was looking to hire a secretary.  The salary was a non-starter, but I wound up falling in love and marrying him.



In her personal life, Melissa has faced major challenges, including breast cancer and the death of her son.  She credits music with helping her heal emotionally.  What gives you strength?  Definitely music; but more so, my faith.



Melissas is a vegetarian, so her diet emphasizes plant-based foods like fruits, grains, nuts and vegetables.  What was your most recent meal?  Would it qualify as vegetarian?  I enjoyed another bowl of 'Male Chauvinist Chili' last night.   'Love (most) veggies but I'm a carnivore at heart.   



In 1993 the year this song was popular, a massive storm dropped a record 56" of snow in Mount LeConte, TN.  Have you done much shoveling this winter?   Oh, I'd better not go there! 😛



One of the most popular movies of 1993 was A Few Good Men, starring Tom Cruise, Demi Moore and Jack Nicholson who famously said, "You can't handle the truth."  What's the most recent movie you watched?   Sandra Bullock's The Unforgivable





Random question: Dessert is on us!  Describe your perfect ice cream sundae.   Uh-oh.  I'm not really fond of ice cream, but wouldn't say 'no' to one of these: 

Vice Cream Sundae.

Reminiscent of a White Russian, but in ice cream form.





Hey, I'm feeling better already!  Happy Saturday, y'all!  Hugs!




51 comments:

  1. Oh mylanta! I was eating breakfast and reading this. I nearly choked over "Send in the Clowns." Girl, you are too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You lose some things in life, One thing I miss a lot at times is the REAL sound of music. My hearing is all mechanical now. BUT my favorite dessert is a Choc nut sundae with real black walnuts in maple syrup. LOL
    Love from here we will hit the road for a short vacation in about an hour...
    Sherry & jack (smiling even in the cool rain!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. #9 Interesting sundae, I wonder if you can substitute Baileys for the coffee liqueur.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do no know Melissa or the song, but listened to it and really like it. I don't have a favorite love song, but what popped in my mind because of the info saying Melissa sounds like her heart is breaking, i remembered Creep, the first time I heard it and it broke my heart. I love that song. my favorite ice cream is vanilla, the kind that is twirled in a cone. all gone now. 5 years of no ice cream OUCH.
    I am not a carnivore OR a vegetarian, I am a CARB Addict, could live on nothing but pasta and bread, but not very long. ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't recall what I was doing in '92, but don't remember ever hearing Creep. Then again, I mostly live under a rock.

      Delete
  5. I just made myself a bowl of oatmeal with milk on it, so I'm not sure it's vegetarian. I love meat too. I plan on having pork chops today. We have snow here and it's below freezing, but I didn't have to shovel, my SIL cam and did that for me. Glad you are feeling better. Your questions gave us something to think about besides the weather. Thanks and keep on smiling !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ma! Yes, I've a big package of bone-in pork chops waiting on room in the slow cooker. Comfort food!

      Delete
  6. I forgot to say Love Me Tender by Elvis is my favorite love song. I love country music and play it every day, but like you my faith does more for me than music can.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A drinkable sundae! Splendid idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beats birthday cake any day of the week! (wink)

      Delete
  8. Love me some classic country. Patsy Cline. I could listen to Walkin' After Midnight over and over.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE hour professional adversity answer! That is so awesome. Loved your answers!
    Have a nice weekend. ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yum with that ice cream sundae!! Who could resist that!! You are too funny with your song chosen for karaoke. I think being with a group of people watching/participating in karaoke would be fun, especially only people you knew lol :) I'm with you, I don't think I could be strictly a vegetarian. I do enjoy my meat. That Sandra Bullock movie looks good. I might just have to get back my Netflix subscription! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her character wasn't exactly endearing, but I love Sandra Bullock's ability to portray almost anyone!

      Delete
  11. I like your answers. Especially where you mention Faith.

    As for my favourite love song. It is very romantic as well as being Country. You can find it here:
    https://timeforreflections.blogspot.com/2021/12/secrets-to-successful-marriage.html

    I wondered what you meant by Classic Country. Is it Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Kenny Rogers, Glen Campbell and Don Williams?

    If so, pity I did not know you when I was doing radio programs. You could have helped with choosing the songs, and commenting on them too.

    I was once told I look like Don Williams.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny fellow! If I said you looked like Don Williams, I'd have meant it as a compliment. Yes, to all those you mentioned!

      Delete
  12. My two previous comments were lost and I got an Error message. I don't know what's wrong with Blogger. I'll try again later....

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am going to have to break down and make that chili! My BFF, Elaine, made it too and said it was delicious. Fun questions and I enjoyed my visit here! Love & Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll let me know! Can't recall if I mentioned, but I also doubled the green pepper. xo

      Delete
  14. "...but I wound up falling in love and marrying him."

    😊💕

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh yes Barbara Streisand! I love her songs. I found her greatest hit on You Tube one night and sang my heart out. Music really touches our soul.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love me some good, down-home country music any day of the week, Myra. And although I love vegetables, I can't live without my "meats." Did I tell you I lost about seven pounds staying in that hospital? Yes, I need all the protein and fat I can get from here on out! Splurging, and having bacon slices every morning with my egg, toast and oj.
    Have a great weekend!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How you make me smile, Martha. Indulge, enJOY ... and thrive. God is so good!

      Delete
  17. Not sure what's in that Sundae, but it looks decadent. I used to LOVE me some hot fudge Sundaes, with nuts and whipped cream. but now I don't do many ice cream things. Instead of use yogurt and granola for a sundae. I don't know Melissa Etheridge or much about country music at all. I do love Barbra S. music. I enjoyed all your answers, even when I didn't know anything about it. LOL. I just love to come here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... and I so look forward to 'seeing' you, Pam! I actually prefer soft-serve yogurt to ice cream any day.

      Delete
  18. Replies
    1. Me, too! I'm putting it on my short list! (*grin*)

      Delete
  19. Melissa Etheridge had a great voice and sang with passion. I Love c/w and I Love classic love songs. Volare, I like to sing with Dean in my shower. hahaha I even can sing a few bars of the Italian words. But Skeeter Davis sang "The end of the World." Charlie rich "Behind Closed Doors". I love music. I love any ice cream. It is sad, it is hard to give up but we do not eat much in the cold months, only summertime. Braum's ice cream in Kansas made the best and cheapest Banana Splits, sigh.....Thanks for all the good sharing . :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just named 3 of my favorites! Couldn't we combine to make an awesome play list?

      Delete
  20. Marilyn Bergman, who wrote the lyrics to The Way We Were, just passed away. She wrote another Streisand song I loved, "Pieces of Dreams." What a legacy she left! Anyway, I love your choice. You really can't go wrong with Streisand, can you? :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. grinning...you know, it's like you're sitting here in my living room talking to me. grin. Wishing you a beautiful week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I made the male chauvinist chili this weekend and it is yummy!
    Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That was a GREAT read. Now I'm feeling better too. my December and January, thus far, have been brutal. My favorite song... LOVE changes Everything. I think chili is the perfect compliment to winter. It sticks to your ribs and warms you through and through. take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! Pretty sure I know that song -- from a Chorus Line, right? I'm going in the front room now and ask Alexa to play it!

      Delete
  24. Send in the Clowns? lol
    Unforgiveable was an AMAZING movie! and that Sundae.. nowiwantone!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!