Thursday, January 27, 2022

Oh, the places I'll go!








On the bright side ...
Tom's nurse arrived Monday morning wearing a newly required N95 mask.   After removing his PICC line she lingered a while, allowing that Tom was her longest patient.   Crazy, but we're going to miss one another!  I made sure Hillary knows the welcome mat's always out, coffee's at the ready.  Before leaving she gave each of us a hug.

Oh, I also got a thumb's up for my decision to start double-masking.
We're free to move about the Country.

Oh, the places I'll go!




The next day my car finally had a serious exam, new tires, new brakes, etc.
The bill stung.  But given what the National news said -- the average cost of a used vehicle is now $28k -- I'm counting my blessings.    

Oh, the places I'll go!





Sure enough ... yesterday's e-mail from the Los Alamos HS Alumni began:

"It is our hope that 2022 will be the year that life gets back to some semblance of balance for everyone!"

This is the first reunion because ALL classes, 1944-2021 are invited.
Then, a thinly veiled warning, "This could be the last for a while, or forever."

Oh, the places I'll go!

Mind you, I've never had any desire to attend a prior reunion.  This time, however, I found myself feeling enthusiastic.  Given the cost of airfare, hotel, etc. the little angel on my left shoulder's shaking her head, "Have you lost your mind?"  Plus, there's that little business about me vowing to never again board another plane.


Like my late father, I've always had a yen to travel.  Unfortunately, I don't share his exaggerated sense of adventure.  I'm certain he'd say, "You only live once!"




Unfortunately, COVID numbers are still on the rise; we've two friends currently hospitalized.  As she was leaving, the nurse observed: "It's not IF everyone gets the virus, it's more like WHEN."

Reluctantly, I've put Florida on the back burner.  Albuquerque, probably
.
But you know what's been playing in a continuous loop in my head?

Blame it on Sean's (seandietrich.com) storylines, but I really want to crawl behind the wheel of my Camry and mosey along Alabama's backroads:  Visit fresh produce stands ... discover cafes known only to the locals -- whose servers address everyone with terms of endearment ... roll down all the windows and sing at the top of my lungs.   Do motor courts still exist?

Oh, the places I'll go!



Meanwhile, I suspect a requiem for these soles is in order.
The places they've been!




Have a great rest of the week, okay?
Keep safe!
Hugs, Myra

 







 

31 comments:

  1. I like the way you think, Myra! Those back roads call to me frequently. I love road trips and can't wait to get one scheduled again one day. I dearly love Sean's posts and look forward to them every morning! Happy Friday! Stay warm! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brrrr! Tom's out back right now wrapping the pipes. Happy Friday blessings to you!

      Delete
  2. I am definitely a back roads kind of girl. I'd rather take the road less traveled and usually do. It's a bone of contention between Tim and I when his attitude is that everything should be paved and made a bypass. I like to explore the "real" wherever it is I am. I am so over this virus and I really hope those responsible for creating it (because I remain convinced it didn't evolve naturally) get what's coming to them one day. They have stolen so much from all of us. And I don't think that some of the things that have changed or gone away will ever come back, however, I hope we can all move about freely without restrictions or fear again in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a long while to enjoy life in the slow lane -- tho' my Chicago-native hubs would probably disagree.
      IMHO your observations about this 'virus' are spot on. Where's that karma bus when we need it?

      Delete
  3. I staunchly refuse to join the Pandemic Panic Club - - there's a bigger chance that people will be dying of fright, imagining that they might contract the plague. Go on a desired road trip and throw caution to the wind.

    I've only gone to one reunion in my entire life - and one was enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, my comment was actually posted this time - without disappearing due to a Blogger glitch! Yay!

      Delete
    2. The odd thing, I only care about 2 or 3 people from my school days, and we already stay in touch. I'd just enjoy being back in New Mexico again before I become too old to travel.

      Delete
  4. Ben Shapiro said way back "it is not if you get Covid, but when you will get it" and I think that is probably going to be the case. However, I think there is so much more known of it than in the beginning and hopefully treatment plans are more effective. I'm sorry to hear about your 2 friends hospitalized. Prayers for speedy recoveries for both!

    This was such a cute blog post, Myra. Oh the places you will go (even if just in your head, right?)

    It would be fun for the reunion but I agree with you, I'm not ever getting on another plane. And really it would be such a LONG car ride if you attempted that route. Maybe they could stream it?

    So sweet with the friendship that developed with the visiting nurse and you and Tom! I do hope she drops by occasionally for coffee!!

    I agree about getting a car fixed rather than putting money into a new car unless the old car is getting to the point where it will be a constant money pit.

    When the weather gets nicer, do take those day trips around your area! We were doing a lot of that ourselves here before the pup came along :)

    And then report to us the places you have been!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Betty! Love your encouragement!

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness I loved that. You and I think so much a like here. I am so ready myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's great to 'see' you here again. Maybe we can meet up in person one of these days (post-Covid).

      Delete
  6. I am praying for your friends who are ill. Also for Tom, you and your family.

    It is good to go places and have a change of scenario. I wish we had that transportation device they have on Star Trek. I'd come over to you for a coffee.

    My car needed a total check up. They said everything in it needs changing and replacing except the paintwork. That had gone rusty years ago.

    I only went once to a school reunion. I got ready and arrived at the place and found out they all changed the venue in order to avoid me.

    God bless, Mevely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha! Well, except for the prayers. Those are no laughing matter and so deeply appreciated!

      Delete
  7. Oh, yes, Myra, so many places to go and explore await the inquisitive mind of the adventurer! Me? I'm pretty content to stay right here at home, but traveling the back roads and staying in a by-gone motor court motel sounds enchanting.
    Glad to hear that Tom continues to do well, and that you only needed a car repair, and not a replacement. Yes, prices are out of control- thanks, Biden! Praying that my kids, and people on more of a fixed income, can weather this awful time of inflation.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! No thanks 'Brandon' (heh-heh). So glad you mentioned the motor court motels; I wonder how many young-uns even knew what I was talking about!

      Delete
  8. in the distant past, bob and I used to ride for hours on weekends, doing the back roads and really enjoyed it. not possible now. there are no back roads, traffic is wild for 100 miles in any direction we go.. our county has become the place to live for those who work in tampa but don't want to live there, now they have turned us into a mini tampa. i do love wandering down roads not traveled. never been to a reunion, only because i have no desire to. i depised school when i was there and when i left it was forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea your metro was THAT crazy populated! In reality, there's only a few people I'd care about seeing; I think the only attraction would be seeing NM again.

      Delete
  9. I like your attitude and your plans to travel. I've decided now is not the time to get on a plane and go to warmer climes although I would love to be in Florida visiting my son who lives there. They are not all fully vaccinated and have a lot of the virus there. Maybe next year Double masking is a good idea. The new ones now being offered N95 are supposed to be better and I plan to get some when I can. This virus just seems to go on and on.. I can hardly wait till it's over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! From your lips to God's ears, Ma. Like that Fleetwood Mac song, "Don't stop thinking about tomorrow!"

      Delete
  10. This is close to one of your best. Love the visit. My son talks about his school days in GITMO. Wondering if there is such a thing as a reunion. Of course he did not graduate there. But that all aside I hope you make the reunion. I love your dad's outlook and your mama's view of life when you give it.
    Oh by the way I read your traffic ticket account. Sad but true sometimes the bad guys win. It happened to me ONCE also..
    Glad to hear Tom is doing well enough to say good by to a nurse and friend. I do hope the friendship continues...

    Love you both and thanks for allowing us to visit. SWEET!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are JJ or Mark on Facebook? I know nothing about GITMO, but wonder if their schools have a group page (on FB).
      Your sentiments are so kind; you humble me! xo

      Delete
  11. Sean Dietrich's articles always make me want to drive the backroads of Alabama, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only wish I'd written some of these places down!

      Delete
  12. You are sounding more and more like Sean D. as you write...LOL. Seriously, I loved this. Oh the places you'll go...yes, just take the back roads and enjoy the scenery. Don't let this bug keep you from living life and living large! Life is TOO SHORT as it is!!! That's my opinion. Love ya. Take care, and have some fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, I'll take that as a compliment! Thank you, dear lady. Love ya back!

      Delete
  13. I hope you get to go on a trip soon, and be able to do it safely. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not much into getting on a plane anytime soon. We did my brothers funeral in August and we didn't get Covid flying to Milwaukee. Glad Tom is all done. It is nice that you made friends with the lady. I do have new masks but with my COPD it's really hard to wear them but I do. I don't think I could do double. We got the KN95 from Amazon. They do make breathing a little easier because they poke out from the nose. That is interesting about your reunion. We have been to a few but certainly not recently.Glad you were able to get your car fixed. Have a nice weekend.

      Delete
  14. Thank you for your comment about my husband!!
    Will get back to my blog when I can and hopefully
    that won't be too long.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love traveling by train or car. No desire for planes and their ridiculous rules. And...ridiculous prices and lousy CS and rude flight attendants. Noelle's friend has worked for a major airline for 30 plus years. If they did not pay her $80 plus an hour she said she would never set foot in an airplane. Too much knowledge like those who work in OR's and often times ER's too. You have not lived until you travel backroads with our SIL Jake in the pitch dark on a two lane dusty country road. The only lights we had were his headlines. It was deserted except for an occasional rabbit, coyote or other night creature. It was pitch black and extremely exciting all at once. He took us straight back to our motel in Lamar. Country roads are always fun in Kansas because people are so friendly. New York state too as Jake knows different roads to get out of the city (Buffalo) where he works. I know some back roads in Arizona too. I am sure most resident never travel on those and wind through the National forest for hour after hour after hour.hahahaha.Avery googled a travel plan on google that took us 4 hours out of our way to Phoenix! LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!