Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Victim or victor?

 


"You know what they call someone who's not afraid?
A victim."

Nope. I don't agree with the person who said that.  Instead, I'd suggest, 'Alert.'  'Observant.'


All around us, examples.  I've talked about it before.  My father constantly, consistently bent on personal security.  "Keep your wits about you." 


Son's the same way.  Not one to talk about it, but Troy won't sit with his back to the room.

Another friend's husband prefers she not exit the car before carefully observing her surroundings.

Thanks to Sandra (aka, Mad Snapper), I try and remember to learn all the exits at Wal-Mart Target.  

Great examples.
But more often than not, I'm remiss.



Last month's 'big blow' raised a whole 'nother situation:

I've no idea why people were out dining in that weather.  Tourists, probably.  However, when things got dicey the employees at Catfish House quickly ushered everyone into the kitchen, to the giant freezer.


Naturally, that got me to thinking.  How many other establishments have emergency procedures in place?   Does anyone know?  (Linda, I'm looking at you.)   We don't have a home basement; even a storm celler.  Would I be safer running over to Winn Dixie and asking for a spot in the cooler?  



Speaking of home ...

I've always felt reasonably safe here, but we had a scare Sunday night.   Watching some mindless something-or-another on TV when 'Wham!'  It sounded like someone hit our front door with a fist ... sending the dogs screeching and carrying on like lunatics.   Tom's on his feet, "What the H***?"

No-one there.

A few minutes later, "Wham!" 

 

Tom hollers over the caterwauling, "Hon, get me the flashlight."

Me: "Don't you want the gun?"  

"Where's your cell phone?"

 

Come to find out, somewhere across the street, kids were playing with fireworks. The sort that sound like muffled cannons.   I'll be glad when Janet and Andy build next door so we've at least neighbors on one side.


This morning we were cracking up:
Tom, remembering:  "And I told YOU to go look out the front window."  Me: "Curtains pulled all the way back, ya. I made for a perfect target." 

If there were indeed 'bad guys', they were probably wetting their pants. 
 
Yep, we're regular Keystone Cops.
.
..... obviously, in need of some remedial "in case of emergency" measures.


Have you an 'in case of emergency' plan?

Expect the best, but plan for the worst.




Hugs, Myra



 



32 comments:

  1. What a frightening situation having those loud noises at your door. Thank God it was nothing serious.

    You got me really worried now. We're told to have planned escape routes in case of fire or other emergency. But what else can we plan for? We're also told to unplug all electrical appliances at night, (except of course the fridge, or alarm systems).

    You've set me thinking. Thanx.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who's telling you that? What a bother to reset all the clocks each morning!

      Delete
    2. By the time we have reset all the clocks it is time to go to bed again and unplug everything.

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. Yes, I think of it all the time, especially since it is now officially hurricane season. Our Clubhouse is not really a shelter, but that is where everyone goes if they don't leave. I have good hurricane tie-downs here but would still get into the closet (no windows and center of the house). I could also head north...but so do the storms. Trust God. Pray!1 xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankfully we do have a basement. I will never forget my BIL Sonny who was going to use the Motor home Bedroom. We only have one door at the front, Sonny asked about a rear exit incase of fire. I showed him the window exit. the entire window releases making a big hole It is high but enough pillows in the bedroom to make a soft landing. LOL
    Good thoughts here.
    Sherry & jack in NC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I've often wondered about that sole door in RV's. I'm feeling a little smarter already! 😉

      Delete
  4. When wildfires got close to our town earlier this year and smoke made air quality terrible, I wrote a list of things to take in case of evacuation. I am keeping that list in a handy place because it would be easy to panic and forget things. So, that is one part of my plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea! I should do the same; we never know.

      Delete
  5. That would have been scary with the fireworks!

    Hubby taught me to lock my car door the minute I get into the car rather than wait until I drive away and it automatically locks after going so many miles per hour.

    I'm super observant when out and about; like the one time we were at the dog park and someone came there looking inside the park and they didn't have a dog with them. I instantly when on alert and let hubby know too so we both stayed by Winslow. Found out they were just visiting it to see if it would be a good place to bring their dog (so they say, lol).

    Can't trust much out there these days! We don't have to worry about tornados but when we lived in California we had an earthquake plan. Here we have a stash of emergency food, water, and cash just in case.

    Indeed better safe than sorry!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, Betty! I've not used 'real' money in a couple years now, but should probably do so. Sooner rather than later. Sounds like y'all have a good plan in place!

      Delete
  6. We live in a safe town so don't need some of those precautions against bad people. We do need to be alert for forest fires and have had to evacuate twice...once in 2000, once in 2011. Fingers crossed for this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fortunate you are to live in such a safe community. Fingers crossed, indeed!

      Delete
  7. You talking to me, Willis? LOLOL---I am always aware of my surroundings...even at work. That is the first thing I do; know my escape route, know where the bathrooms are etc. I am ALWAYS keenly aware of my surroundings...lets see, survived tornadoes, hurricanes, a purse snatching, a home burglar once and many Karen's who have gotten in my face the last year or so...so yeah...but the most important knowing is; Jesus Christ. Period. Not much scares me anymore...you know there are plenty of evilness going on right now...but you know, its probably been there along and my favorite saying right now is, "The devil is roaming free." He sure is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that saying! My DIL's, too: "Not today, Satan."

      Delete
  8. p.s. my current employer is really good about safety and other procedures etc. They have to be, because w here I work (warehouse) if there is a fire or a shooting, the doors automatically go down, and you have mere seconds to get out etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's seriously scary -- if people don't get out in time? Are you at liberty to tell us more?

      Delete
  9. We live in a manufactured home, and so we are very conscious of safety when it comes to hurricanes or storms. If it's really looking like a bad one is headed our way, we would go stay with our kids a mile away, who live in a concrete block home. But if we don't have time for that, we'd just have to hunker down in a closet or bathroom and pray for the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! We have an interior bathroom where I keep our helmets, whistle, etc. Do you have a weather radio?

      Delete
  10. you know I am the queen of fear and also queen of planning ahead. i have a PLAN for everything you can think of. i will do a post about it. public spaces and at home, the house we bought when my kids were pre school age, the windows could not be climbed out of. they had 3 panes that opend out, no way to get out. i slept with a sledge hammer under my bed until we moved out of it. there is more but i will move on. glad it was ONLY fireworks! i sit and plan how to do away with the neighbors who do fireworks. they are illlegal and should be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. UGH, I remember those windows in Florida. Smart lady, keeping that hammer at the ready.
      I'm looking forward to reading your post!

      Delete
  11. We do have emergency plans in place should weather turn severe, Myra. I'm so glad we have a safe space in our laundry room! Everyone should have such plans in place, just in case. And I'm so glad that sound at the door turned out to be nothing of consequence!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martha! I agree, everyone should have a plan ... ours just needs tweaked. 😐

      Delete
  12. Glad it was just kids with fireworks Myra. We have that around here all the time too.

    When out and about I'm one who will not sit with my back to the room, and I always scan for exits as well. I don't carry a purse, I've seen too many people walking along only to have someone run up and grab their purse and keep running. I scan parking areas carefully before getting out of the car or heading back to the car.

    With hurricanes, we board up and have an interior bathroom with no window that we can go to if things get really bad.

    I definitely plan for the worst and hope for the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know you're so aware, Martha! I try, but it's a work in progress.

      Delete
  13. It is best to always be prepared. My way of doing that is to keep lots of food and water on hand. I don't have anyplace to take cover either, living in a mobile home, no basement. I've considered the bathtub if nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that's an excellent place to go. Have you considered a helmet? Our meteorologist recommends everyone keep one at the ready. I found ours on e-Bay.

      Delete
  14. As a kid my dad told us all to be aware of our surroundings. He use to say, when my sister and I went anywhere, lock your doors, it does not cost you anything. Unlkess you lock the keys inside. Then your going to need a locksmith! Since that shooting at a Walmart, 10 minutes from us, I make double sure to know the exits. WHen my friend from Target was shopping there with her son and his phamily, he was shot and killed and as people ran for the back exits they found out, Wal-Mart had a 7 second rule on their fire exits and other doors. 7 Seconds is a lifetime when you are running for your life! The shooting that happened in Arvada, Colorado in the Olde Town Square, took the life of a veteran police officer. I heard another person was killed and the shooter. But it was in an open outdoor area. I was so nervous as my cousin Tim's daughter & her husband just took over the bakery there. The couple who owned it forever retired and gave the business over to them. I am not a news watcher so I have not heard anything else. But you always have to be prepared. for anything! I trust Jesus and I always pray when I am out and about too. SOmething I do naturally. I often hear, we live in a quiet town. So do I but times are wicked. Be careful always. My cousin the sheriff deputy and her sweetheart told us law enforcement calls towns like ours "bedroom communities". But you never know. I am not paranoid, just always alert. I find so many in the younger generation like to make light of everything. I do keep my wits about me and and in the words of my late father, when your shopping, don't take anything you didn't pay for! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your daddy had the best sayings! I'd no idea about WM's 7-second rule. Sounds like Linda's emloyer (above). I can't run that fast!

      Delete
  15. We had tornado warnings and sirens Friday night. We’re on a slab so no basement. We went to our laundry room which is in the center of the house with no windows. Thankfully we had no problems. But I’m sure we looked like idiots sitting in there with the dog. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No more than what Tom and I looked like in our interior bathroom, dogs crying to get out. 😨

      Delete
  16. no basement here. no rooms without windows. no place to hide from a tornado. a few years ago a guy high on drugs tried to break in via our front door. scary to be sure. he broke out the glass in the window and was about to come inside right as the cop arrived. scary. had an incident at walmart . fortunately i was on a scooter to hightail it to other side of building. ultimately it's outta of our hands.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!