Thanks to Sparky and Annie for this week's questions!
Let's talk about you.
Music.
What kind of music do you enjoy?
Except rap or hip-hop, I think there's something enjoyable about all genres. Lots depends on my mood. Feeling lazy, unmotivated? "Alexa, play ABBA's greatest hits. Or Fleetwood Mac. Loudly, please."
Old, 'real' Country is a favorite go-to.
But don't get me started on Rogers and Hammerstein ... I'm likely to envision myself a soloist. Ha!
But don't get me started on Rogers and Hammerstein ... I'm likely to envision myself a soloist. Ha!
Are you musical?
Nope. I took piano and violin lessons for years, and hated every minute.
An interesting after-effect: I can no longer read a single note of music. Tom - a musician himself - didn't believe me when I couldn't identify Middle C.
Travel.
Where have we been?
In large part due to my father's passion for travel, I've been to all 50 states. As a 'grown-up' I've also visited Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and much of Europe.
What's your favorite destination(s)?
I loved Italy, and dreamed of visiting Russia someday. Given the state of our world, however, I'd be happy to re-visit Breckenridge, Colorado. A New England cruise, perhaps.
Occupations.
Did you end up working at what you wanted to be?
No. As a child I wanted to live on a horse ranch in the middle of nowhere. Later, I majored in journalism. But, having to play the deck of cards I was dealt, I spent my working life where I excelled -- as a secretary/executive assistant. For the most part, it was good. Some lifelong friendships ensued. Celebrity perks, too.☺
Do you wish you'd done something else? If so, what?
I don't think so. (IMHO) today's mainstream media bears little resemblance to what journalism once was.
How do you keep from being bored?
I don't understand how anyone of sound mind and body could possibly be bored.
* * *
Now, let's talk about YOU!
Care to answer some -- or all -- of these?
Hugs, Myra




Holy Smokes! Great post! I have been thinking of traveling. Hannah wishes Rebekah and I could fly out for her real birthday July 3. But prices are unbeleivable. I hate flying, I prefer trains and cars. I love most all music but I prefer real country over their crossover garbage. It seems the pop scene needs a boost so they infiltrate c/w. Ca n not even stand to watch the shows plus so many of them sold out to big PHARMA for big $$$$$$. Use to love Paula Deen til she gave her soul to them too for $$$$$$$$. ANyway back to the real world....I have zero musical talent but Leo will let me serande him often. I think he likes the attention. I am a US traveling girl. Other than Ireland I really do not care to leave the US. I love the National Parks and the mountains the best. I would love to have owned a doll museum/ tea house. Just a big dream I always had. This was fun. I am glad I still had your page up here. Have a wodnerful evening. HUGS
ReplyDeletePreach it, girl! 👍
DeleteI, too, hate flying and honestly, can't envision ever having to do so again.
We love hearing about your life. Of course I enjoy the time with the media most.
ReplyDeleteI loved the military and I really loved building then I have always love travel. I too loved Italy and always wanted to go to Ireland, haven't made it yet.
It was neat seeing the changing of the guard and always wanted to take Sherry to London to see it.
Fortunately Sherry & I both love travel.
I get a kick out of your parents and your travel with them. That always brings a smile.
Sherry & jack enjoying life.....
I think you need to take Sherry to see the changing of the guard -- and look up Victor while you're over there! 😉
DeleteYou truly have had an interesting life, my dear! Wow, look at you with those celebrities! I am truly impressed! No wonder you are so much fun! You've been there and done that and have the t-shirt to prove it! LOL. Oh, and I love singing, but I can't tell you where middle C is either. I sing mostly by ear, although I can follow the notes on the page, I just don't know what they are called. I've tried to learn them but my brain just can't seem to get it. I even directed a choir for a while. Thankfully they didn't know a C from a B flat either, but we still sounded good. LOL. It's all in the heart of the person singing (and those appreciating the music). Have a blessed week. Glad you joined in the fun.
ReplyDeleteAw, thank you! Saying, "It's all in the heart" ... wow. You nailed it!
DeleteBTW, I love Rodgers and Hammerstein music too. All those wonderful musical movies they wrote for...wow!! Such talent!!
DeleteThis was another fun Tuesday meme! I enjoyed your answers and wonder if you noticed that I wanted to own a horse ranch in Colorado when I was much, much, younger! Awesome celeb photos, by the way!! xo
ReplyDeleteYes! I smiled so big when I read yours. Jus' another reason I love you!
DeleteI can't carry a tune but took piano lessons for a few years when Kaitlin turned 8 and started taking them. I loved practicing a half hour to an hour a day for a few years. Then I went back to work and played with computers instead. Happy memories. 😊
ReplyDeleteNice! I found computers much easier than the violin.
DeleteThat is quite an achievement Myra to make it to all 50 states! And quite a bit of Europe too! Wow!! You certainly did have an interesting career! And really, I wouldn't want to be a journalist these days on MSM. Especially one with integrity!
ReplyDeletebetty
Yep. Once of my favorite (funniest) memories was a training class held at the station where I was working: "Ethics in Journalism." And they were serious!
DeleteI've said this before, you would have been wonderful on a radio program. Your selection of music is what listeners would have wanted. You're well travelled too, so the chat in-between records would have been wonderful.
ReplyDeleteIs there a song for every State? I can think of Massachusetts by the Bee Gees. The musical Oklahoma. My mind's gone blank. I'll sit down and try to think some more songs ... Hawaii Five O.
A very interesting post today, Mevely. Thank you so much.
God bless.
Thank you! Off the top of my head? (Mark Lindsey's) 'Arizona', 'California Dreaming', 'North to Alaska' ...
DeleteNow my mind's spinning!
But wait, there's more! 'New York, New York', 'Last Train to Georgia', and my personal favorite, 'Sweet Home Alabama.'
DeleteHey folks feel free to chime in!
Those are great photos of you with the celebs, Myra, and you sure have traveled everywhere, too. What a life! And I'm right there with you when it comes to today's journalism - it's just a mass of bias with the exception of a few outlets. Dangerous times we live in.
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
Oh, but much of those travels happened when I was a child; I've forgotten so much.
DeleteExactly! what you said about dangerous times. Handle with prayer!
Wow Myra you sure have traveled extensively! How cool that you had some celebrity perks along the way. I had a job with that perk as well but don't think I have any photos. Funny - I took piano lessons for years, hated every minute, and can't play a thing today either lol!
ReplyDeleteOh, tell us more! Have you posted about that job before? Glad to know I'm not the only musical drop-out. 😉
Deletetoday i learned two things I did not already know. Your know of the Big Stars and your journalism skills were news, also did not know you had been all over Europe. World Wide Traveler! as for music I am the same about genres. i even have heard a few, very few rap songs that I like, but not hip hop. i only see them on the reality shows. I love old country most, and all 50's music. not all of any one genre but some of all. I find it hardest to find anything i like in Jazz but there are a few. as in Kenny G... and saxofphone. my early plans were to live on a ranch and be a cowboy, not a cowgirl. I still love all things western and cowboys.
ReplyDeleteThe only reason I've come around to jazz is Tom's saxophone, and he doesn't do so much playing anymore.
DeleteDo you remember the 50's western, "Spin and Marty"? I loved them!
How wonderful that you've been in all of our 50 states and also traveled to Europe. I have never been out of the United States except for a brief trip to Canada. We saw the Niagara Falls there. I would like to see the rest of our United States. No need for me to travel out of the country, there is so much more I need to see. Interesting you mentioned music, I posted about how it is such good therapy for us. I love all kinds and enjoy it all. My favorite thing to do in life was being a wife and a mom of 7 children. I agree, I don't know how anyone could ever be bored. So much to do and so little time!
ReplyDeleteFor sure! Now that the pandemic appears to be over, I'd love nothing more than a chance to tour these old United States. Like Dinah Shore sang, "See the USA, in your Chevrolet!"
DeleteThat's a good answer for #1. I think I could have said that but I didn't. I didn't write this either but the organ teacher quit me! That's awesome that you have been to every state. Love the celebrity perks.
ReplyDelete