Sunday, June 20, 2021

Sunday thoughts

 


Good evening!

Thankfully, it was a beautiful day!  TS Claudette took her bad manners and got out of here shortly after sunrise.  We've lots of standing water, but no damage.

Unfortunately, down south the storm left a significant debris trail and loss of life.  There was a horrific crash that claimed 10 lives and shut down both sides of I-65 for more than 5 hours.


But you know what?  Sometimes tragedy brings out the best in people.   

Some of y'all may have seen on Facebook -- but I'm recapping it because GOOD news deserves sharing.  A witness wrote:


"We were stuck in traffic at a standstill from the tragic wreck on I-65 today.  This lady and her family walked car-to-car, offering their camper bathroom and refreshments to anyone that needed it!  They set up in the road and even grilled for people!  Whatever they had in their camper was given away."


Despite what the MSM says, there's lots of good people out there.



Okay, I gotta be honest.  I'm struggling.  
... to remain disciplined, that is.  About the only area where I'm succeeding is my new Keto lifestyle. (Nope, not calling it it a diet.)

The eBay project?  Dead in the water.   Housework?  Pshaw.  Well, except our pest control guy is due for his quarterly visit Tuesday morning, so I'll be making like Mrs. Clean.  (How sad is that?)

Still haven't decided (like many of you have) whether to put an alert here re. Feedburner going away next month.  I finally stumbled my way through downloading a list of those who follow by e-mail and was dumbfounded to see 1,334 addresses.  Many are duplicates -- and others ... how do I say this politely?  Of suspicious origin.  No-one that I recognize.   I'm wondering why these people don't come out of stealth mode and show their faces?   Nope.  I'm going to let Feedburner do its disappearing act and see how the chips fall.


Yet, there's always a reason to smile. 
Tom's been watching too much HGTV!  Out of the blue the other night he starts talking about knocking down the wall separating our living and family rooms, making it one big open space.  I'm thinking, "Has he lost his mind?"   Our home in Arizona was an 'open concept' floor plan, but I like these smaller, chopped up spaces.
     
Looking from the kitchen into the family room.The dining room (left) opens to the living room -- where the light is shining.

He finally acquiesced, but it was nice seeing him so enthused. For a while there, Jack, I thought I was going to have to send you and Sherry an SOS!


Anyway. That's what's happening on Chapman Road.  I hope everyone had a pleasant day.

Enjoy your new week and please, stay safe!

Hugs, Myra













26 comments:

  1. There is a lot of good out there and good people! Its refreshing to see stories like the one you featured here and on Facebook. Unfortunately, MSM wants to report a different narrative.....

    Its summer. Just relax and enjoy it! Housework can wait. Good for you about the Keto plan though. DIL's sister lost a lot of weight using that plan (I'm talking like 50-60 pounds if not more).

    I'm with you about Feedburner. I think people will find a way to read us even when it goes away. Not worried about it one way or another :)

    Open plans seem really common here at houses we looked at as well as open houses we go to now (not interested in selling/buying but I love to look at other people's houses). Glad Tom came to his senses :) It seems like a project that involves mess and inconvenience; two things I rather avoid :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betty! I enjoy going to estate sales (man, some of these huge Southern homes blow your mind), but hadn't thought about open houses. Fun to get decorating ideas!

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Myra, for sharing some good news here - we are all in dire need of some these days, that's for sure!
    I follow you through Blogger, so we should stay connected. I'll be using Follow It for my email readers; it is the subject of this Friday's blog. It seems fairly easy install, so you might want to give it a shot.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip, Martha. I look forward to seeing your post!

      Delete
  3. Wow, I hadn't heard about the terrible crash on I-65. My heart goes out to all those affected, but how wonderful for that family to open their "home" to others in need during a very difficult time. That's the true American spirit, and I pray it continues to grow. As far as the "feedburner" thing goes, I did the same as you and looked at how many people "follow me" by email. Over 900, and I have no clue who they are. They never comment. I wouldn't know how to begin to weed out the good from the bad, so I am going to just let it go away as well and see what happens. I think most of my followers are all here on Blogger and we know how to find each other. I am not really interested in having so many followers that I can't keep up with them...and I have no clue who all those "peeping toms" are out there who apparently look but never make their presence known. That's just creepy. As far as knocking down walls, etc., I am always wanting to knock down walls. In ever house we've lived in (and there are many) I've talked about knocking down walls, but never did it. We actually built a wall in our last house to create a master bedroom out of a huge family room that wasn't needed because we already had a huge living room. Anyway, to each his own. If I had the ability to do those things I would be knocking down walls and putting in bigger windows, etc. I guess it comes from having claustrophobia. LOL. Have a blessed week. So glad you are safe, but so sad for those who aren't. Praying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I feel the same way about lurkers -- but then, my blog content probably puts them to sleep. Back in the day Tom bought his grandparent's house in Chicago and reno'd it mostly himself ... but realizes at 79 y/o this isn't something he wants to take on. (Whew!)

      Delete
  4. I'm so happy to hear all is well at your place and that TS Claudette didn't leave you with any damage. I saw the devastation it left in it's path on the news. How nice of the people in the camper, there really are good people out there.

    I think your new Keto lifestyle is enough to adjust to at one time, let the other stuff wait a bit.

    So many people have had suspicious email accounts on their feedburner subscriptions. Mine all looked legit but the more I thought about it, I kind of wish I wouldn't have bothered doing anything either. The email readers are probably just lurkers anyway.

    If you do have any known regular readers who want a email you can do it in your settings instead of a service. I think that will still work when feedburner shuts down. Just go to settings and scroll down to 'Invite more people to post notifications' and put their email addresses in there.

    Have a great week Myra. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just as you predicted, my cravings for carbs has just about disappeared. That's a good idea about using settings. Thanks, Martha!

      Delete
  5. So glad you're OK after the storm you had. Praying for all caught in the disaster and who lost their lives.

    I don't know how many follow me on Feedburner. I'll let it go and see what happens. I think our Blog posts are like messages in a bottle floating away on the Internet sea. God will make sure they'll reach someone who needs them.

    I tried once to go open plan and knock down all the walls separating one room from another. The top floor fell down and now we have a vertical open plan too.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Talk about having cathedral ceilings!
      Oh, I LOVE that thought about our posts floating away in a bottle. Comforting!

      Delete
  6. I read that about that crash, horrible...keeping those folks in prayer. Don't even get me going on HGTV, lol...I also prefer chopped up rooms, lol. smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! Now, if I could just put a door on the kitchen and not have to look at the dirty dishes. LOL.

      Delete
  7. It is amazing to see how good people appear in the midst of disasters. I''m so glad you made it safely through the storm. I think HGTV inspires a lot of people, but we do have to be careful about what we undertake. Not everything is possible in every home. I think what you've got is just fine and not worth tearing a wall out. That is far too much work and mess to clean up too. Hope you enjoy your summer and come through all the storms safely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I never saw any of Mr. Rogers shows, but wasn't it him to said when bad things happen, look for the helpers.

      Delete
  8. I am a fan of open spaces and our whole area is open, but with the way yours is shapped, i like it like it is... if you asked bob what is HGTV he would have no clue. that crash is heart breaking, we saw it on tv and saw it and saw it. glad you shared something good that came from it.
    I made the same decison you did about feedburner. just wait and see what happens. I did do the cvs download but don't intend to use it. just as a backup in case my MAD mind switches gears. i am spending my mind time thinking of creative ways to do what I have been doing a different way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good going! You are one of the most creative people I know!
      All the human-interest stories coming out about those children killed; I can't bear to watch anymore.

      Delete
  9. I'm glad you weren't clobbered by Claudette. TN is supposed to get severe storms this afternoon - which has dissuaded me from driving to town.

    I'm not familiar with Feedburner, but 1334 email followers is one heckuva lot. I love the regular readers of my blog (all three of you) but I always worry about the underground anonymous lurkers.....and, trust me, they are there.

    I would be very hesitant to knock down an interior wall - - glad Tom's idea was nipped in the bud. I'm not very enthusiastic about indoor open spaces.
    I prefer to go outdoors to enjoy open spaces.....

    Love the photo of your sweet doggie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Macie Ann says 'thanks!'
      Even in the heat and humidity, Tom enjoys spending his waking hours outside, so I don't think any reno's in our future.

      Delete
  10. There is a lot of good out there and good for you to stay on your diet. I have a hard time sticking to things these days too - probably Covid related somehow. lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. God bless those folks who gave all they had to people stuck in that tragedy. I hadn't heard about it so appreciate your reporting it here. There are good people still in this world. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are! The National news was still showing it both this morning and a little while ago. Heartbreaking.

      Delete
  12. I love the picture of the pup, and that heartwarming story. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I saw the horrific accident and the kindnesses sent to others at social media. In the words of Anne Frank, I believe there is good in all people. Hard to imagine in light of the world today but I do seek out the kindnesses. I am going to post about one I just experienced. Life is hard, I have to continue to pray harder. Gearing up for the 97 temps today and then a repriece. Ah....sigh....rain...hallelujah! My husband is working hard, cutting calories. I am trying. Our SIL Zach made the most delicious dinner last night. Grilled salmon with mango salsa divine! He grilled asparagus and we had a huge salad and the bad food, a grilled baked potatoe. They say to cut carbs, boy oh boy, is it hard. HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was really nice of that woman opening up her bathroom to people. You're right, Keto and low carb are lifestyles not diets. I do love how they open up rooms on HGTV. It changes everything! Take care.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!