Monday, June 7, 2021

Passages

 


"Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again."

- Rebecca

From the first time I read Daphne Du Maurier's iconic opening, I've been smitten with words.  Word weavers.  I began saving those passages and verses that whispered deep in my ear.

The candidates are infinite ... but here are several.  Where possible, I've cited the author.  I hope something might resonate with you.



"Cowardice, I ask them?  You want cowardice?  Look no further.  I am the Mary Lou Retton of cowardice -- driven for much of my earlier years by the fear of dying, of living, of making mistakes, of being known, of anyone anywhere ever being mad at me."

- Anne Lamott



After Mrs. Roosevelt died in 1962, her wallet and its contents were among her personal possessions given to the Franklin D. Roosevelt Library. Among them, typed on a small piece of paper: 

"Dear God. We ain't what we orta be, we ain't what we're gonna be, we ain't what we wanta be, but thank God we ain't what we wus."

- 'Benediction by a Negro preacher'
Franklin D. Roosevelt Library








"In the dark you have to describe yourself.  In the daylight other people describe you."

- Fynn: Mister God, This is Anna



"The story of your life never starts at the beginning.  Don't they teach you anything at school?

- Monica Wood: One in a Million Boy







"Genesis ... rewritten with every dawn."

- Richard Osmon





"Today could be boring.  Or, it could be the sort that lives in your memory forever.  It could be the day on which your whole life hinges.  It could fall either way.

And if you ask me, you owe it to yourself to be ready.  Because once this Best-Day-Ever happens to you, you're going to look backward and realize that everything had meaning.  Everything.

Your good moments were like swatches of fabric.  Your painful moments were little pin pricks from a sewing needle, stitching you together like a quilt.  

And on your final day, you'll see this quilt and think to yourself: My God, wasn't I beautiful?"

- Sean Dietrich (aka, Sean of the South)





💜













27 comments:

  1. Oh, those are priceless! Thank you for sharing them with us. I think I like Sean of the South's best of all...

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great, especially the last one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed these - true note that Mrs. Roosevelt had in her pocket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved them all, especially the one from Sean. That is something to keep handy on those tough days, know what I mean?

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love each and every one of these quotes. That last one is "words to live by" and reminds me of what I tell friends when their self esteem is low "God doesn't make junk."

    ReplyDelete
  6. They're all great, but I too love the last one most. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great selection of quotable quotes.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ann Lamont is ME...coward was and still sometimes is my name. afraid to try something new, afraid to try a new job even though I hated the one i had. next is I aint what i wuz and last is Sean. i look at the quilt that was stitched by mistakes, big mistakes, one of which set me fleeing to Florida and now the quilt i am is closer to being finished and I can see with hindsight 20/20 that i was beautiful and did not know it and to afraid to use what i was born with

    ReplyDelete
  9. These quotes made my day, Myra. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Every day seems like a new beginning for me and I'm so thankful for everyone I get. Loved reading all the quotes. They are good ones. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Dawn is my favorite time of day ... oh, the possibilities!

      Delete
  11. Snippets of life, oh how they fit and are loved. YOu have to appreciate Eleanor's 'hold card' of the preacher.
    And of course Sean is a real word weaver. And you know he has been there 'Pin pricks by a sewing needle; for goodness sakes!'
    Aw the old manual typewriter got me, GREAT GRAPHIC!
    Sweet read my friend. THANKS
    Sherry & jack in the rain...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sherry and Jack! Ya, it's been raining here for two days. *sigh*

      Delete
  12. There are some REAL keepers here!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sean of the South is amazing. He weaves words into the most beautiful mosaics. I enjoyed all of the quotes, Myra. Thanks for sharing them!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. See, I knew you and I would become fast friends (from one word person to another), grin. Have a beautiful day friend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh words....I have two pinterest boards with words and words are powerful.SO many phrases stick in my mind from my youth, from my folks, and other loved ones. Thanks for sharing. I apologize for my lateness. HUGS

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!