Saturday, June 19, 2021

It's not too late!



Remember when on-line shopping meant calling Customer Service in another city?


Aside from a single department store and two shoe establishments, my hometown offered little in the way of Serious Shopping.   If mother wanted to take advantage of the White Sales or daddy wanted to buy us proper Easter attire, we'd have to drive 100 miles to Albuquerque. 


... Which probably contributed to my life-long love affair with catalogue shopping. Sears Roebuck, S-and-H Green Stamps. Miles Kimball, too.  A brief fling with Neiman Marcus' Christmas edition. (I just liked having it out on the coffee table - ha!)   I've forgotten the rest.


These days I do my hunting on Etsy.com and Shark Tank.  I think Tom regards it as little more than a novelty. But I've been cheerfully sucked in.  Wicked Good Cupcakes was a resounding win ... the Salad Sling, too.


Speaking of novelty ...

Did you see the pitch for Better Bedder?  (Try saying that outloud 3 times - ha!) 

"The giant headband  that holds your sheets in place."

The ladies who invented it were sympathetic, but I was sort of put off.    Good idea -- but  unless someone's physically infirm I'm thinking that's plain lazy.   Imagine all the 'stuff' getting trapped in the crevices? 😝 



Anyway, to the point of this title!

If y'all -- like us -- are getting drenched by TS Claudette, I doubt there's going to be a mad dash to Target's men's department.   Don't despair!  Let your fingers do the walking and present dad with a sneak peek what's coming.  


For instance?

I've discovered a fun new website:

  TheGrommet.com -- "Unique and innovative gifts from small businesses."  (Or, in my case - Everything you don't need but want.)  


Here's some suggestions for the man in your life.  Best, they're all made in the U.S.  (And no! Nobody's asked me to say any of this.)



3-in-1 BBQ Tool

Dog Mug Dog Bowl

Neck pain hammock

Magnetic beverage holder

Active sitting stool




Who could ask for anything more?!
🤣


Keep smiling, my friends!
Hugs, Myra

















26 comments:

  1. we lived in Savannah, and there was always a Penny's and a Sears and lots of stores to shop in. We had no money to shop. But what we did buy was from those two stores and Woolworth dime store. This new online thing with the burger bowl he he he, reminds me of an on line dime store . We moved to KY when i was almost 10 and for 5 years the only place we shopped were sears catalog, there were NO STORES and we had NO money.
    About those sheets, I started to shudder when I saw the photo, even before I read what is is. Sheets that are tight would make me crazy. I want the top sheet flowing loose and I pull the sheet to my shoulders and my feet and up to my knees are on the outside of the sheet. my burgers don't last long enough to need a bowl LOL. and the neck harness makes me think how easy my clutsy self could break my own neck.
    Have you been through Amazon's Overstock? they sent me an email 2 days ago and I already have a stand up sack to store blankets in, and bluetooth ear pods that only cost 10 dollars, the bag was 5.95. it is like a basket, but is stiff materail. zebra stripes. I had to slap my hands off the keyboard and shut it down. I was lookig through my prior orders list on Amazon and WOW who knew???
    that buy again button and the buy now button I can hit faster than Beau snaps up a treat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha on the neck harness! A tight top sheet would drive me nuts, too. I HAVE to have one foot sticking out when I sleep.
      Never heard of Amazon Overstock, but I'm going to check it out. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness! some of those items are just too much...LOL. My hubby would probably love the Burger Bowl...he loves anything burger...but most of all the burger itself! He doesn't care what it comes in. It doesn't stay there long. We had to travel about 30 miles to shop when I was growing up...Sears, JC Penneys, Woolworths. Yes, we did some catalog shopping too, especially for Christmas toys. Loved to get the catalog and make my wish list. I rarely got everything on my list, but maybe at least one thing or two. Happy memories from childhood. I miss shopping in real stores anymore...the nice big department stores are pretty much gone. It's sad to me. Have a Happy Father's Day tomorrow. I hope the storm doesn't spoil your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The weather service cancelled the tornado watch a little earlier; now we're just left with LOTS of water.

      I read where Terri has an Amazon wish list, so of course I wasted no time setting up a grown-up one of my own!

      Delete
  3. Too bad you can't channel some of that rain here :)

    I remember growing up and visiting stores like Sears and JC Penny and being able to bring home a catalog to drool over :) We got lots of catalogs in the mail around Christmastime, both growing up and when the kids were younger. I loved it. They would go through the catalogs and mark what they wanted and then I would order what I wanted to get them (they always marked more items then they got lol). Nowadays Amazon just makes it too easy to shop.

    Loved all the items you featured here, especially the Burger Bowl and that 3 in 1 BBQ tool. I might have to introduce hubby to that site (or maybe not lol :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we could, Betty! We're still under a flash flood advisory. But no damage, thank God.
      Thinking Tom might need that tool, too. I love how they support small business.

      Delete
  4. I remember having the Sears Roebuck and S&H Green Stamps catalogs to browse through but we lived close to the stores so I don't think we ever ordered from catalogs.

    The giant sheet headband thing would drive me insane, I hate tucked sheets, even at the bottom. Other than grocery shopping I'm am not a shopper at all, can't stand it. I usually just go straight to Amazon if I need anything and leave it at that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Amazon, too! I think these are more out-of-the-ordinary; fun stuff for someone difficult to buy for.

      Delete
  5. I had forgotten about The Grommet! Now I need to go shopping! Fun stuff and made-in-America is always the best. When I was little, we drove to Columbus for major shopping... and we dressed up, too! Good memories! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun stuff, yes! I'm smiling about dressing up. I'd forgotten about that; but yes, we did the same thing.
      Now its evolved to, if I want to visit Publix I have to put on nicer clothes and shoes and fix my face. LOL.

      Delete
  6. I smile when you mention the limits placed on we that lived in the 'isolated' corners of our government world. The Navy Exchange and USMC Exchange was our limit, all else was mail order. I bet they have to add extra planes and maybe a ship with the ON-LINE-Shopping of today.
    I just received my 3 door bell buttons I ordered yesterday.
    This was a very interesting blog. Some of those places I hadn't heard of and I need the 3-1 BBQ tool for sure.
    Love sent your way,
    Sherry & jack Waiting on the rain up here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jack! The Grommet is sure an entertaining spot to shop. I suspect that BBQ tool is going to be a popular choice for dads.
      Hope you and your 'boys' enjoy a super Father's Day, and the rainstorms aren't too awful. 💚 from soggy Bama.

      Delete
  7. Years ago we never went to Albuquerque to shop, it was Montgomery Wards and Sears Roebuck catalogs for clothes and big items. We could return things here in town if they didn't fit. Now it's mostly online. of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I failed to say, my mother sewed most of my school clothes. Isn't on-line shopping the best?!

      Delete
  8. Some great shopping ideas, Mevely. As a matter of interest, how quickly do they deliver? Here we have Amazon Prime which delivers next day. I wish there was a way, (like in Star Trek), where they would deliver instantly - within seconds.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be wonderful! I've only ordered from them once, but believe it was only 2-3 days.

      Delete
  9. Boy, those are some unique gifts, Myra! I'll have to check out Grommet for those unusual gift offerings. Happy Father's Day to Tom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Martha! Ya, it pains me to buy practical gifts -- LOL.

      Delete
  10. You have been busy with your online shopping. I too always enjoyed catalogs, still do, but don't get many any more. It's been awhile for sure. You have found some really neat things. Thanks for all the suggestions and info. I'll be checking them out. Hope you all are enjoying a great Father's Day there. Maybe with some burgers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ma! No burgers; we were concerned about all the rain so we're doing a roast in the slow cooker. It's all good!

      Delete
  11. I'd like to order things online, but delivery out here in the boonies is exasperating. The last time I got a package it was delivered to the wrong address - and one other time, a package was simply dropped in the mud by my mail box (which is extremely far away).

    I'm not exactly crazy about any of the novelty items you've shared. The sheet "headband" holder and the burger bowls both look annoying. And that neck pain hammock would give me nightmares and anxiety attacks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! You should have seen what I nearly shared -- a wearable sleeping bag. Seriously!

      Delete
    2. I could use that in the winter.

      Delete
  12. I used to love browsing through the various catslogs when I was a kid. Some folks I knew used the pages as t.p. in their outhouses, too. (I kid you not!)

    As messy as some reeeeally good homemade burgers can be, especially if the bun falls apart, those "bowls" might come in handy. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fun stuff! An amazon warehouse is minutes from us. They are my faovirte people. I rant and rave sometime but I bought the sweetest Colorado Columbine earring there from a small business so sold them for a small designer in Longmont, Co. I always check before I bash big businesses. LOts of small businesses use amazon. I am addicted to my Macy's on line shopping, Target, Wal-Mart, oh the list goes on and of course, LuLaRoe. You made me think of Sharon. she always had the Neiman Marcus catalog at CHRISTmas time. Both of our sons work for Nordstorms, bad, very very bad....Jeremy is with the suits so his discount is larger than Nick's with the small people. HaHaHa....I take either. But Jeremy found my Brooks lavender shoes for a HUGE saving. I love shopping on line. Saves so much time and effort! I am with you on the feed burner. I have comments from a rather unique individual. At pinterest or Instagram you can zap away the questionable ones. At the blog or even FB you have to practically call an attorney to handle it all. Oh the fireworks, you mentioned earlier, here too. SOunds like wartime but the police can not catch the creeps. U G H ! I have a hard enough time sleeping with these annoying obnoxious dog next door. He sits in his yard and underneath our window just barking. I am guessing those owners either wear earplus or use sleeping pills. Avery has given him a good hosing in the summertime. They have 3 dogs but the Weimaraner is a chronic barker. UGH! I love those wine glass shades. HaHa I need one for my head when I have an extra Mimosa on SONday brunch. I have become a wimp in my golden years with alcohol but I love this peach champagne so much.....sigh

    ReplyDelete
  14. That Better Bed looks interesting. We recently got a foam mattress and are loving it. I love the items you shared. Very interesting!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!