Last night I read something a friend posted on Facebook -- and was moved to share it on my own page.
As often happens, the response was lukewarm. Hey, I get it! Unless it's a funny meme, an arresting photograph or less than 3 paragraphs, readers aren't inclined to linger.
Some of you 'young-uns' might not get this right now, but trust me. You will.
Fatherly Advice
A newlywed young man was sitting on the porch on a humid day, sipping iced tea with his father.
As he talked about adult life, marriage, responsibilities and obligations, the father thoughtfully stirred the ice cubes in his glass and cast a clear, sober look on his son.
"Never forget your friends," he advised. "They will become more important as you get older." Regardless of how much you love your family and the children you happen to have, you will always need friends. "Remember to go out with them occasionally (if possible), but keep in contact with them somehow."
"What strange advice!" thought the young man. "I just entered the married world, I am an adult and surely my wife and the family that we will start will be everything I need to make sense of my life."
Yet, he obeyed his father, kept in touch with his friends, and annually increased their number.
Over the years, he became aware that his father knew what he was talking about. In as much as time and nature carries out its designs and mysteries on a person, friends are the bulwarks of our life.
After 70 years of life, here is what he, I and you will have learned:
Time passes.
Life goes on.
Children grow up.
Children cease to be children and become independent. And to the parents, it breaks their hearts but, the children are separated from their parents because they begin their own families.
Jobs, careers come and go.
Illusions, desires, attractions and interests ... weaken.
People can't do what they did physically when they were young.
Parents die, but you move on.
Colleagues forget the favors you did.
The race to achieve begins to slow down.
But, true friends are always there -- no matter how long or how many miles away they are. A friend is never more distant than the reach of a need, intervening in your favor, waiting for you with their open arms or in some way, blessing your life.
When we started this adventure called LIFE, we did not know of the incredible joys or sorrows that were ahead.
We did not know how much we would need from each other.
Love your parents, your spouse, take care of your children -- but keep a group of good friends.
Thank y'all for being my friends!
💛
Hugs, Myra
BTW, my friend did not write this and admits he doesn't know who did.
If anyone knows, I'm happy to credit them.





Truth, Myra. So true! I would be so lost without y'all here and my dear friends around me. God is so good!! xo
ReplyDeleteMe, too! 😍
DeleteI have no doubt of the truth of this post. I have kept up with very few friends of the past. I do regret that. Moving a lot prevents that one on one association we NEED. I have gotten close to an acquaintance from years past and now he is a very close friend. a day ago I just stopped work called to see if he was home, he was and I went over and YES I have missed time like that.
ReplyDeleteGood post, lots of truth.
Love sent from NC, Hug a musician today!
Sherry & jack
I did ... ha!
DeleteYa, this actually prompted me to re-wind memories of time spent with friends. Some went other directions, but I treasure those still in my life, if only on social media.
Wonderful advice! "Friends are friends forever if the Lord's the Lord of them.." (Amy Grant song) We need our friends, especially when family is gone on. We have moved so much in our married life that we've had to leave so many good people behind. We stay in touch by email, phone, Christmas cards, or Facebook, but still I long to have those close friends who can actually be here to hold on to when needed most. & vice versa. (((hugs)))
ReplyDeleteThanks, Pam! Love Amy Grant! I've a love/hate relationship with Facebook -- but consider it nothing short of a miracle to be able to keep in touch and see/hear what's happening in my friends' lives.
DeleteMy parents had a framed picture with the words: True happiness consists not in the multitude of friends but in their worth and choice.
ReplyDeleteIt's true we should value good and faithful friends. I like my friend, but why does he keep borrowing my lawnmower? I think a friend in need can be a pain in the neck. Especially when he keeps borrowing things. He still has not returned my ladder, and the electric drill set. You've reminded me of how many things have yet to be returned.
I really value my friends, but not so much those who owe me money. I also like my Internet friends. Fellow bloggers who keep visiting my blog I don't know why.
I also like my family. If it was not for my family I would be arguing with perfect strangers.
Let's drink to friends and family. God bless them all and remind them to return what they borrowed.
I love that quote!
DeleteSmiling big, on account the other day Pastor Janet's hubby asked to borrow Tom's lawn mower. (It's okay; they're delightful people.)
Bottom's up!
I love all the photos and the advice is so true! I have a couple of besties in real life that are always there though thick and thin, but I don't keep up with them as often as I do my blog friends - I love my computer so much because my friends live in it! :)
ReplyDeleteTrue that! I talk to my oldest friend by phone the first of every month, but actually feel closer to my blog family.
DeleteI saw this on Facebook. I'm pretty sure I didn't respond with a "like" lol although I would have liked it. I think I saw it this morning when I was on my way to get ready for work :)
ReplyDeleteSo true about friends and the importance of them. Thank you for your friendship too!
betty
Aw, no worries! You're a busy lady and I didn't mean to sound like I was soliciting for likes. (LOL)
DeleteThank you! ❤️💕❤️💕
ReplyDelete🥰
DeleteAWESOME!!! AND You got to meet up with Terri, another awesome! AND Thank you Myra for being my friend. smiles
ReplyDeleteYes, that was a great memory. You're still on my short list. (*grin*)
Deleteso true so true! i have 3 close friends all 3 live in georgia. 1 i have know her whole life, she is married to my brother and the others were best friends since jr high. friends ARE important because they KNOW us best and our history. i cherish my e-friends also
ReplyDeleteLucky lady! I remember when Good Housekeeping would occasionally feature long-time friends who made a point to stay in touch. I've 4 (FB) with whom I went to school, but none of them I'd consider close.
DeleteAmen, Myra! Friends are so very important, and I'm glad you are one of mine.
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
Thank you so much!
DeleteWhat good advice, never forget your friends. I'm so glad I can count you as one of mine! Good friends last through thick and thin.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Ma ... me, too! 🤗
DeleteThis is so true! I know we've never met but I feel like we are friends :-)
ReplyDeleteMe, too! Looking forward!
DeleteLove, love, love your photos, especially the Brownie picture. So grateful for all the friends I've met along the way, my friend!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much!
DeleteThe was so beautiful. Thank you for sharing it. My friends know me better than my family.
ReplyDeleteThat oftne happens, doesn't it?
Delete