G'evening,
First, a sincere thank you to everyone who commented on my last post. Wow. I didn't respond to each individually, because it seems we're all on the same page. Like Victor said, "Words are not enough to express what one feels."
Currently?
Outside .....
As our weather girl put it, #air you can wear. I like that saying! Sorry, Betty, but I prefer this to what I read you're experiencing in Phoenix this week ..... 116* yowza!
Tuesday morning we picked up our poppies at the Hanson Gallery. When I first signed up to sponsor a poppy, I didn't realize Julianne Hanson is a Gold Star mother herself ... someone who turned her own grief into action.
"The Last Full Measure of Devotion"
(President Lincoln)
Would you look at that rainbow!
Now, where to put it?
They gave us one of the stakes, but given the weight of the poppy itself, putting it in a vase was a no-go.
Update!
Remember the other day I was musing about selfies ..... why my image looked different than what I see in the bathroom mirror.
Thank you to blogger Tigger, who left this explanation on Sandra's blog:
"A professional photographer once said to view your own photos in a mirror. Few of us are symmetrical, and are used to seeing our own faces in reverse. Photos show us what other people see, and they look odd to us."
Well, I'll be darned!
Hopefully, I'll get myself in gear this weekend and begin a long-postponed eBay project. More about that later.
Meanwhile, a picture my DIL sent last night of son and their sole surviving chicken.
I love his tender heart!
Y'all have a great weekend. Stay safe!
Hugs, Myra
That poppy looks really beautiful. It is good to remember and honour those who sacrificed so much for our country. On Poppy Day (near 11 November) we wear poppies on our lapels, and also we have poppies in shop windows, front of cars and so on. Money goes to The Royal British Legion. A British charity providing financial, social and emotional support to members and veterans of the British Armed Forces, their families and dependants.
ReplyDeleteYou are right in saying we are not symmetrical. I have one ear as large as a pancake; whilst the other is much larger. When there is a slight breeze I spin like a revolving hotel door. The other day I caught my large ear in an elevator door as it shut on me. When I drive the car I always have my ear flapping out of the window. Other drivers think I am signalling to turn. The advantage of all this is that I can hear in pinpoint accuracy. I can turn to someone in an elevator and say, "It was you!!!"
God bless.
You are so funny, Victor! When will you share a selfie? (Pretty please.)
DeleteNo selfies from me! I once sent my photo to a dating agency. They returned it with a note saying, "We're not that desperate!"
DeleteGod bless.
The poppy is beautiful, Myra! Wow. I always enjoy visiting you here (in person is always better though). Victor is always so funny!! Love & hugs!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much! 💛
DeleteThanks for the shout out Myra :) At least it is a dry heat :) Up until next week we were really having pleasant temps! At least now the pool will warm up to temps I'll consider going into (88 degrees and above, currently at 84 degrees).
ReplyDeleteHow sweet with your son and the chicken! Looks like they are (or have) bonded!
I did hear our faces are asymmetrical. Now I know why I don't like photos of me :)
That poppy is really astounding in looks! Seems like you found a good prominent space to display it!
Now I'm curious about your EBay project!
betty
I remember my son saying Phoenix heat felt like standing in front of a blast furnace. Now, I try and convince myself the humidity is God's sauna.
DeleteYa, my DIL swears that chicken has a crush on Troy.
Well, I'd rather have the endless Tennessee rain than the broiling heat in Phoenix. We used to go to Arizona often when I was a child to visit relatives - and they can keep the "dry" heat!!!
ReplyDeleteYour poppy looks lovely, a really special keepsake.
As for photos, reverse won't do it for me. I tend to look my best upside down.
The last photo on your post gave me big smiles. The chicken looks so sweet and content.
P.S.
DeleteI hope they don't plan to have that chicken for dinner.....
Like so? 🙃 Funny man!
DeletePretty sure if I lived in the country with animals, I could never enjoy chicken again.
I love your poppy, Myra, and all that it represents. Never thought about the mirror image looking different from the way others see us - what a cool fact!
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
Thank you for saying that about the mirror image. It took me a while to wrap my mind around that one!
DeleteThe poppy is beautiful and I love the photo of your son with his chicken, it's adorable! Can't wait to hear more about the eBay project. Have a great weekend! :)
ReplyDeleteThank you! I can't wait to get up the gumption to actually DO it. 😀
Deleteoh no, the last chicken, melts my heart, he is so handsome and so YOU and maybe ME because i would do that to. is somehting killing the chickens? so sorry. oh yar for ebay..i don't have anything anyone would want or I would do it. another blogger i follow is selling her disney collection a piece at a time. do they have a category for husbands? heh heh heh
ReplyDeleteyour poppy is stunning. and I mean that. it looks great like that and i can't imagine it in a vase. the photo of the casket in water gives me chills.
I think the raccoons got a couple; Lois said "we had to put brown chicken down due to a severe prolapse." 😢
DeleteI stole that casket image from her website; isn't it moving?
"Air You Can Wear!" I have never heard that. I love it when someone comes up with an original! Wish I could.
ReplyDeleteLove the pictures, sweet and the chicken, that is a first for me I have never seen the chicken that could be held 'lovingly', WOW.
Also well said: Few of us are symmetrical, and are used to seeing our own faces in reverse......
Yep, that is a puzzle for sue.
Love today's post, NICE!
Sherry & jack having off and off stormy weather here. I think y'all sent it! ;-)
I know, right? My son used to refer to the difference in Alabama and Arizona's heat -- "like standing in front of a blast furnace" v. "we wear it."
DeleteYa, Troy and Lois' chickens have been well loved, but she says they won't be getting any more.
Stay safe in those storms!
I love your poppy and idea behind it. I think you found the perfect spot for it. That chicken looks very to content to roost there in strong arms.Not every one has a pet chicken, I'd prefer a dog or cat.
ReplyDeleteMe, too! 🙂 The kids inherited the chickens (and a pen) when they bought their place 6 years ago - this is the sole survivor and DIL claims she has a crush on Troy.
DeleteChicken is cute. LOVE the pretty poppy. love what it represents. next to the martini glass is just fine.
ReplyDeleteThank you, my friend!
DeleteWe were in Arizona last week and it was hot for sure! I went outside in the pool only once. I love those poppies and the rainbow is so awesome. Love the photo with your son and the chicken.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much!
DeleteThat Poppy is beautiful. I Like how you displayed it on the hutch. Simply elegant and with such a profound meaning. Thanks for sharing. The heat is not my friend. In the words of my auntie Ang, if I wanted to look at cactus all day I;d move to damn Arizona! HaHa!
ReplyDelete