Sunday, March 14, 2021

Thoughts on Sunday

Just a girl living her best life!
(Great-granddog in mom and dad's new jeep.)





Hey there!

... from a beautiful day in Coosada.




Not so much the next few days...
Suppose I should ask Tom to postpone grilling steaks -- and set up a martini bar in the safe room instead?
Oh well, I'm not going to worry about that right now.


Honestly, there's nothing much going on.
... Unless you want to count the new drape I found to disguise the big hole where the dishwasher used to be.




... or that we each scored our first vaccines within days of each other.
Poor Tom had to wait in line at the V.A. nearly 2 hours Wednesday morning.   But the next day I randomly happened on a Walgreens appointment less than 24 hours later!

He got the Moderna, and truly suffered ill effects. When the pharmacist was administering my Pfizer, she said "it seems more folks report having had side effects from Moderna."
I don't know!  There's so much info (and MIS-info) out there.  I even saw something on FB (source: NY Post) that claims taking a baby aspirin every day helps guard against COVID.

* * *

Oh, and there's a Memorial Day initiative I'm super excited about!


Yes, May 30's a long ways away, but wanted to share what a local artist is doing to honor loved ones' memories.

"A field of thousands of handmade ceramic poppies, each dedicated to a member of the United States Armed Forces who is no longer living but lives forever in our hearts."

My father always made it a point to purchase a poppy from the old men in front of the post office.  I wasted no time ordering one on his behalf!

The reason I'm sharing this, sponsors get to keep their poppy -- or have it shipped to them.  

If anyone's interested, here's a link to Alabama's Poppy Project and some pretty pictures from last year's event.




10% of proceeds go to support these guys.

Daddy






Well friends, t-t-t-that's all for now!
Please, take good care of yourselves and have a delightful new week!


Hugs, Myra

44 comments:

  1. We have the same Remembrance Sunday with poppies on the Sunday closest to 11 November. It is right and proper that we should honour those who fought and died or were injured for us.

    The blossoms are yet to appear over here. Still very cold. Take care with your stormy weather.

    I like your dog. Looks intelligent.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grilled steaks or a martini bar in the safe room - either one will make for a happy birthday! So glad you have both started the vaccine and glad you were able to get one of the Poppies in honor of your dad. Have a fantastic birthday week Myra. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the photo of your Daddy, beautiful roses and a great idea.. I saw a couple of tornados on TV but they were in Texas yesterday. Tornado Tornado stay away, don't come out to play on another day.. my fretter is on ready set go for hurricanes and tornados... the curtain look great. our hole like that has a micowave on a shelf that Bob put there 31 years ago, the shelf not the microwave. and under it two recycle bins . i thought of a curtain but since the microwave is used MANY times a day, the curtain would be in the way. Mother and many others that i knew way back when had curtains to cover up the underneath of the kitchen sinks and bathroom sinks. I actually like the look of that. glad you have your shots and I have read that both shots have the same and if that is not true I am mad that we got the Moderna. Bob got NONE I got SOME and his doctor has me fretting over what will happen to me on April 2. of course that is the day after April fools day and Murphy might find out I am getting mine. OH let me tell you... I did not get my side effects until day 4 and from then until yesterday i had achy bones and was so tired i could not do my walks. today i feel normal again which is day 12

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to learn you're back feeling like a crispy critter! I'd love to have under-counter shelving like yours, but Tom's still holding out for another dishwasher. Everything's on back-order from here to eternity.

      Delete
  4. Hope you are all safe.
    Severe weather is a threat that no one should take lightly...but I love your safe room idea :)
    Always nice to know that shots are going into arms.

    Have a beautiful week 🌙🌠☂🌌

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm terrified of tornados, but refuse to live in fear. The safe room's just an interior bathroom but there are helmets and stuff at the ready.

      Delete
  5. Your great-granddog is adorable. Love the photo!
    Are you really getting spring blossoms in Coosada already? Here in rural TN there are no blossoms in sight - probably not until April.

    When it comes to storms and severe weather, I can feel your pain. When I lived in the Missouri Ozarks the severe storms and Tornado Watches were constant. I lived in perpetual fear.
    Keep a helmet on your head and prayers in your heart.

    I remember red poppies on Memorial Days when I was a VERY small child in NJ. Alabama's Poppy Project is a lovely idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant Memorial Day....with no "s"

      Delete
    2. "A helmet on your head and prayer in your heart" ... I LOVE that sentiment! The blossoms were a surprise; in fact, the tree still looks stark and witchy; I had to look twice to even see them.

      Delete
  6. That great granddog is adorable! I am jealous of the Spring like weather. We are literally busried in the snow here. WHen they said 40 inches they weren't lying. Denver is expecting 52 inches so the office is closed tomorrow for Avery. The Poppy Project is a wonderful idea. I remember them when I was a child. Love the photo of your dad. Stay safe and hoping you are both doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I can't decide if I'm aghast or jealous at the amount of snow you're getting. 😲

      Delete
  7. Those poppies look beautiful! Cute grandpup!! Nice way to cover up where the dishwasher was... looks like there might be room for a wine refrigerator!! Just a thought! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad to hear you both got the first shot, but sorry that Tom had a poor reaction to it. Hope he's feeling better! The poppy ideas is so touching, too. We should never forget all those who sacrificed their all for our freedoms, and it should give us resolve all the more to fight for them, especially in this current political climate.
    Stay safe in that ugly weather coming, Myra!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thankfully he is! Thank you for asking! I'm trying not to worry and leave the storm in God's hands.

      Delete
  9. Great grand dog picture!! AND OF COURSE Daddy's picture in uniform. I loved that navy hat from the time I saw my brother's WWII pics in them.
    And that Poppy idea is great, gotta check on that to see how far it has spread.
    I cannot believe someone administering a shot would make a negative comment to the recipient, I kow people who would automatically get the side affects just hearing them. OUCH Hope you are OK from it and glad y'all have been stuck!!!
    Love from Florida.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jack! You know I've come to expect, everyone's got an opinion. And why not?! The only reaction I had was a sore arm for 24 hrs.

      Delete
  10. I need to read about the poppy project! How cool! I had my first Moderna shot on Wednesday and had a MAJOR headache that night. I'm a tad nervous about the second shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! Let me know if you participate in the Poppy Project and maybe - just maybe - we can meet up at the Opening Ceremony.

      Delete
  11. I saw that there were a lot of storms down your way on the news and wondered how you are fairing. Glad you all keep safe. Glad too you got your shots and on your way to being safe and protected. Glad you are part of the growing vaccinated population. It will eventually help bring us out of this pandomenic. I love the poppy initiative and donate whenever I see someone with poppies. Veterans are so important and we'd never forget all they do and are still doing for us. Love the pictures of your blooms, and hoping we'll soon have some up our way too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I pray this time next year the pandemic will be a bad memory.

      Delete
  12. Your great granddog pup is so handsome!! He looks very happy to be out and about! Love your DW curtain. WE have a similar spot, and I haven't really thought about covering it, but I probably should, as I don't think we will get a new DW anytime soon. Love the poppies, and your father looks so wonderful in his uniform. Praying the bad weather goes way far away from you. Love the blossoms. Just take care and stay safe...and stay in touch. We all will pray!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Pam, your positivity just made my morning! Thank you, dear friend.

      Delete
  13. The blossom looks beautiful.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  14. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TODAY. May you be always happy.

    Praying for you as a special gift today.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just stopping in to wish you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday sweet lady! I hope your day is extra special and filled with happiness! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a sweet looking dog. Love the blossoms, Spring is coming. Sorry Tom had side effects. I'm reading the opposite on the vaccines. Not sure what to believe today.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm on my way as soon as I click publish comment. Thanks for the link to the poppies!!! What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shóot...I forgot to mention the sweet dog. Can't leave before ...

      Delete
    2. ...ordered!!! Honoring a good guy that was KIA in Vietnam. Thanks again.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Anni! Ya, those who fought - both in Viet Nam and again at home, against those who treated them so viciously - will always hold a special place in my heart.

      Delete
  19. California is starting its poppy grow. That are golden CA poppies. I wish they were red.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Everyone seems to be getting SPring time bloom and we are getting more snow. It is useless to try to garden until after Memorial Day.Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!