Saturday, January 23, 2021

The house on a hill

 


It's been months since Martha asked if I had a picture of my mother's kitchen.  Naturally, that sent me scrambling -- to no avail.


One of the things I love most about this day and age is how most people -- 8 or 80 -- make it a habit to capture their surroundings.


My father loved cameras, but the photographs he took were usually planned.  Posed.  I don't think it ever occurred to him to spend good money on images of our home; the 1,034 sq. feet that served as a backdrop to my adolescence.  


More than 50 years later, however, I can close my eyes and it's all there.  A mangle iron that sat under our dining room window ..... the tiny coat closet under the stairs where we watched a caterpillar weave itself a silky cocoon.   My bedroom, with this...



and that ...

I loved the dresser's reversible accent panels!


Mostly, I loved peeking out my window to spy on the firemen across the street doing their calisthenics. (*smile*)



Imagine my surprise yesterday when, on a lark, I typed in my old address -- and found not one, but 4 matches.

These (realtor) images were taken prior to its last sale, but I felt such a rush of emotions!

Remembering the phone that hung between the hutch and coat closet.  The spot where I ignored my mother's protests and fell off the back of a chair.  (and still have the scar to prove it.)

100% sure those are the original sink and bottom cabinets.  Casement windows, too.   Much to my mother's dismay, I used to use that left hand drawer pull as a bottle opener.  ( And yep, inflicted a series of dents.  Maybe not the original after all. )

My bedroom, its walls looking like the same pale yellow I favored.  Crisp cafe' curtains my mother sewed.  

Betcha anything, that's the same tree -- only now, it's branches obscure the firehouse.
Wish I had a dime for every time I tried walking the length of that fence top.  It's a wonder I didn't break my neck!


 
I shouldn't have been surprised ... but I was so disappointed to see what's become of the exterior.  Built in 1950, our home wasn't much to look like, but my parents took an enormous amount of pride maintaining the yard.  Seeing the overgrowth and junked automobiles, they'd have been heartbroken.

Yes, Mr. Wolfe.  You can go home again.
But in a way, I wish I hadn't.


In all honesty, "the house that built me" -- the home I still see in my dreams -- lies not in New Mexico, but in West Texas.  I used to fantasize about winning the Lottery and offering the owner whatever he wanted to sell.

I've even considered writing a letter to the current residents, sharing photos of how it looked new -- orange shag rug and avocado appliances; wallpaper, too.
... asking the current residents if they'd please share some current photos.

What's the worse they can say?
Dang. I'm such a coward!


Have you ever had occasion to go back to a former residence?  Would you?



Thanks for indulging my sentimental journey.
Please stay safe!



Hugs,
Myra



 









27 comments:

  1. A beautiful, romantic, post Mevely. It is so nice sometimes to go back down memory lane and re-live loved times with loved ones. These are the building blocks that made us as we grew from young children, or teenagers, to what we are now. Treasure these memories, Mevely. If not for you alone, but also in honour of your loved ones who cared for you so.

    Yes, I too go back to my past ... sometimes. In my mind that is. Watching again old monochrome photos. Many people ... many faces ... now no longer with us in person ... but in spirit.

    God bless, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post. I NEVER thought of looking at any of our houses thru the realtor's eyes. Now I cannot wait to hear of two of those houses we lived in going up for sale.
    I loved the dresser with the changing accent panels, I never heard of one. Neat.
    It is hard to believe, just tonight Jack Jr asked if the church dad pastored in Albemarle and the parsonage was still there. I didn't know. He went to google and brought the house up. YES, I could see the basement door. It was the first house I had my own room. Along with being a preacher dad was an expert with dynamite. He dug that basement under the house, using dynamite. LOL
    Seeing that house brought back so many memories and it was less than 2 hours ago JJ showed me the home I lived in 1948-1951.
    I love coincidences.
    Sherry & jack in a cool North Carolina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whaaaat? I never heard of someone using dynamite; but Tom said, "yes." Crazy coincidence, yes. I think that dresser was made by Broyhill in the '60's -- I found this photo on-line, featured as an 'antique.' LOL!

      Delete
  3. Yes, I have, and it is so true that you can't go home again. Both times it was just sad. Keep the memories in your head and heart. I enjoyed this post and the photos and memories, Myra!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should write the letter Myra, it can't hurt a thing and if the people who live there love their house I'm sure they would absolutely love to see the old photos you have. I know I would!

    I have searched my childhood home too. My parents remodeled several times over the 26 years they owned the home. It doesn't look anything like it originally did but I can still see so much of what I remember when I last lived there. At the same time much has changed too. *Sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I'm leaning towards that. Maybe after a couple glasses of liquid courage. (*grin*)

      Delete
  5. No, I've never gotten to revisit any of my old homes. Some, I wouldn't give a hoot to see, others I'd dearly love to revisit, but I'm sure it would be bittersweet when I saw the changes. It's cool, though, that you got to see your childhood home virtually.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such wonderful memories you shared of your house on the hill :)

    I honestly think you should write the letter to your house in Texas. You are right, they could ignore it but maybe not. I know I would be curious about getting such a letter and probably would take pictures of my house to share with them, minus any family pictures :)

    I looked online a few years back about one of the houses I lived in, in the San Diego area, when I was growing up. The house had been remodeled and looked quite lovely compared to when we rented it.

    Now here is the shocker of the house I lived in when we were in Pennsylvania before we moved when I was 7 years old. In 2018 we were somewhat in the area for my niece's wedding and had visited Gettysburg which was about 2 hours from where I had lived before. For the fun of it when we were driving up to Gettysburg I googled that address of the house I grew up in til the age of 7 and found out that in 2017 the house had a fire in it and someone had died in the fire! It was a case of arson and the wrong house had been set on fire killing a 47 year old woman! https://www.sharonherald.com/news/police-wrong-home-hit-in-fatal-fire/article_372da314-a5be-581b-9eea-b2b0c05186f6.html

    That stunned me! That would have been a house I would have wanted to see inside it and visit because I thought the house was haunted (another story for another day unless I already shared it with you :)

    You too be safe out there :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh.My.Word, Betty. You've given me serious goosebumps! No, I don't remember reading about the haunting, but I'd love to hear sometime. Anytime!

      Delete
  7. My family home which my parents built in 1950, remained in my family until it was sold a couple years ago. The new owners kept the outside red brick as it was but completely gutted the interior. So to look at it from outside it looks the same, but inside it is like a mansion. It overs looks a lake which location is why they chose it, I am sure. Like we did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neat! Sounds like an episode from HGTV, doesn't it?

      Delete
  8. Thanks to you I looked up my folks' home. It's been remodeled, with another floor, etc. and I think it's sad. I can understand why the "new" family did it, but I loved the old version. 🙁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More often than not, that's the way I feel when watching an HGTV make-over. Everybody's "ooh-ing" and "aah-ing" and I'm over here thinking it looked better before.

      Delete
  9. OH My, Myra! I loved this...how wonderful you were able to pull up those pictures of the kitchen in particular! I love that old metal sink and cabinets! They were so wonderful! My hubby and I rented a big old house in Maine that had a sink and cabinets like that, and I loved them. but no, we can never truly go back "home" to the home we remember in our memories. It would NEVER be the same, because the people we loved are no longer there...the soul of the home is gone forever, and new souls have taken up residence, but we can't relate to them. The house I grew up in my Daddy built himself (with a little help from professional plumbers, electricians, etc.) We moved there when I was 7 or 8, and my parents lived there until they died over 50 years later, and then it was sold to a lady they knew and she wanted it for a place for her kids to come down from up north to stay in. I can't even bring myself to drive by the house because I would expect my parents to be there waving at me like they always did. My niece has driven by and took a few pictures. They painted the door a light green when it used to be a rustic red. But other than that it looks pretty much the same outside. I have no clue what they might have done inside, but I would hate to see it if they changed very much because my daddy built all the mahogany kitchen cabinets, closets, all special woodwork that he did himself...it was very special. I'd hate to see it if they changed that. So yes, it is better to savor the memories we have in our hearts and minds. I am sorry you don't have any pictures of when you lived there. But they are in your mind. I enjoyed this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how you've expressed this, Pam! "The soul of the home is gone forever." Exactly!

      Delete
  10. Very cool!

    I have also found pictures online of our old home. It has been for sale twice since I lived there. What a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad realtors have begun showcasing their properties on line! For the most part, that's how we found our current home while still living in Arizona.

      Delete
  11. I loved walking down memory lane with you today, Myra. Yes, you should contact the present owners and see if they would send you some photos. Unfortunately, my own childhood home is no more; the entire neighborhood sold out to a developer who wanted to put in condos and apartments. In my mind, though, the memories stay forever.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh nooooo! I hadn't even considered something like that. There was a terrible fire in 2000 that destroyed much of the townsite, but spared our building.

      Delete
  12. It's nice you could find some pictures of your old home, but you are right it's never the same again. I had a home I loved and hated to leave, and have been by it several times over the years. It has changed but not too much. I haven't been isside but I do wonder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's only human nature to wonder. I didn't attend our last class reunion, but my BF did -- and actually had the moxie to knock on the door of her old home. I'm surprised, but she said the lady invited her inside to look around. (I'd be too chicken. LOL)

      Delete
  13. Yes, of course...another excellent post idea, smiles. Thank you for taking me on a memory, Myra. I hope you have a beautiful day, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love what you found. Enjoyed seeing the photos. Adam and Gabby's house was built in 1953 and the owners never upgraded anything so I believe that sink is still the original in that photo you shared.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!