Love 'em ... or not. These cheery faces and their siblings have become a fixture in (most) of our lives. Almost every day, I find myself keying the : and ) buttons.
Then there's texting. I remember the time when 'thin-skinned' me took offense at something a co-worker texted. How better had he thought to take the sting out of (his) misunderstood message with an emoji?
Recently someone shared a suggestion on my high school alumni FB page. Citing a news story from AgBio World, a member recommended that something like this be done on the local hillside
I've no longer any stake in the game, but couldn't resist joining the conversation:
"I think it would cheapen Burnt Mountain's natural beauty. Like putting a bumper sticker on a Bentley."
(Or adding "Cold Bernie" to Mt. Rushmore.)
Last I checked, the votes are neck-and-neck.
At any rate, being more than 1,300 miles away, I won't lose sleep over it.
I wonder, if the emoji craze is getting out of hand. Or, is it just beginning?



Like you I think that's going overboard. I wouldn't want to see that in a nature setting. Well, at least it was done with a different kind of tree instead of going out there and painting the Douglas Furs yellow. I wouldn't put something like that past some people these days.
ReplyDeleteUgh, I know. Hadn't considered that!
DeleteI use them too. It makes me crazy when someone has to have the 'last' emoji. I end with a thumbs up and think we are done, but here comes their thumbs up. LOL I know, I know. Good grief! Fun post, Myra. As for the trees... leave nature alone! :)
ReplyDeleteThere's one in every crowd, right? Good grief, indeed.
DeleteOH my, I don't think they "should mess with Mother Nature!" LOL. I think emoji's can become annoying when no one know when to quit. LOL. but mostly they are fun.
ReplyDeleteWhat's that old commercial line, "It's not nice to fool Mother Nature."
DeleteIt all started with women's panty hose. They had sizes and 3 kinds. Now there are sizes and 3000 types, just ask any man whose wife said "While you are at the store pick up a pair of panty hose, suntan, A. HAAHAHA try to find that. ( seams?heels? etc... Now there are one million 200 thousand and 54 emoji's and I use 2 or 3.
ReplyDeleteGood post, interesting. Some of the giant ones are nice, but that can be over done if it effects nature...
Love from North Carolina
Sherry & jack
Funny fellow! Did you see Jean's (Cheerful Monk) comment below?
DeleteI think emojis are best kept off natural beauty. That beautiful scenery will not be made more beautiful by adding a smiley face.
ReplyDeleteThanks for underscoring my thoughts, Carol.
DeleteIn response to jack69. Andy does the shopping at our supermarket now, I do the shopping at Natural Grocers. If I have Andy pick up something that might be hard for him to find, I print a picture of it and tell him the aisle number. If they don't have the exact item he doesn't have to look for a substitute. So far it's working fine.
ReplyDeleteGreat idea!
DeleteProbably going to continue to get more and more crazy as a way for people to express their emotions etc. I use a few but not a lot myself!
ReplyDeleteBetty
I'll never forget the first time I saw the 'poop' emoji ... on a co-worker's coffee mug!
DeleteI am not sure about the grammar of emojies. Do you put a coma, after each one? Or a full stop, (period). Are you allowed to use exclamation marks? !!!! and other punctuations?
ReplyDeleteHod bless.
I've no idea! If there's any teenagers watching, will you please answer Victor's question?
DeleteEmojis are fun, Myra, and they can soften the "blow" of a comment, but I'm not for the forest one. Just let nature do its thing!
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
Thank you! Now I don't feel like such an old fogey.
DeleteI am a tree lover/hugger and really hate the smiley in the forest. UGLY!!! that said I love emojis and use them in text and in messenger and occasionally HERE 😍👀👍🎈🎈🎈 in comments. some people don't like them overs love them. I use my keyboard and hit the windows icon and the period and it brings up hundreds of all different things in any screen, like lap/desktops. you and I both love the avatar stickers, i like stickers more than emojis but can't put one HERE. hope you are safe, saw the tornado that went through Birminham and Fulondale. looked it up, 84 miles north of you.
ReplyDeleteYes, thankfully we only had a bit of rainfall about 2-3AM. I didn't know that keyboard shortcut ... thanks!
Deleteou. It use the smiley face a lot and even have one blowing a kiss that means I love you. I care mon never get enough smiles for sure ! The more the better. Hope you can smile today and if you need one, Here's a smile from me to you ***BiG Smile****!
ReplyDeleteAwww, TYSM! Let's spread sunshine all over the place!
DeleteAlmost everyone in my office if 45 or younger. I'm 62. I use as many emojis as they all do. Especially while wearing a mask, at least we see the smile in the emoji :-)
ReplyDeleteGreat point!
DeleteI am not much of a emoji user...and most folks even at work know when I am smiling even with the dreadful mask. sigh.
ReplyDeleteOur eyes are a dead give-away.
DeleteI do enjoy using them. I agree, why do that to a beautiful forest.
ReplyDeleteTrump belongs on Mt. Rushmore!
Yes!
DeleteYes.
DeleteWe took our dr-daughters to Yosemite Park April 2019, and the sense of scale is unimaginable. Tree hugger, here.
ReplyDeletewhat Debby said and I love nature as God intended it. It is bad enoguh these hooligans destroy these beautiful state parks with their selfies standing on rocks that were there before any of us were dreamed up! I have always been a :-) and still use it but since emjois came along then took over my smiley faces too. :-(
ReplyDelete