Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Hi!


 Hi!


Brrrr!  Winter finally arrived last week -- much to the delight of one of us.  (Heh, heh.)   Last night's fog and frost even made our neighborhood seem a little like Sleepy Hollow.

... all the better to stay huddled under thick comforters.  (Except, our den's begun to resemble the aftermath of a teen's slumber party.)

Getting the Christmas tree (etc.) put away wasn't as heart wrenching as in years before, on account this arrived.
... looking remarkably like my parent's old console TV.
"Oh, what a night!  Late December back in '63....."


We set it up in the family room -- and have even used its heater function a few times.
Yep, I'm besotted :)


* * *


Say, are any of y'all taking supplements to ward off Covid?  My son's been taking three times the daily recommended Vitamin D.  Another gal from Bible study who tested positive over the holidays was advised to self-medicate with Vitamin D and Zinc.

I hate taking pills.  Still I mustered my resolve and scored one of the last bottles of "D" this morning.  The stocker even remarked how Zinc chewables are practically flying off the shelves.


Sure I hee-hawed, but this actually looks brilliant!



* * *


Speaking of, I was stunned to learn that a former coworker/friend recently passed away after a 3-month battle with Covid.  Larger than life, Dennis was one of the funniest humans I've ever known.  The former lead singer of a 60's doo-wop group (The Cordials), I had Alexa playing their tunes all afternoon. 

Anyway.  When another coworker called, the 20+ years separating us literally fell away.  I'm not normally fond of talking on the phone, but yakking with Joe felt effortless and oh, so fun.  Sad that it takes a tragedy like this to reconnect.

Some of my WTSP 'family'

When I shared this on FB a few years ago, Dennis commented, "What an extremely handsome young group of television professionals.  What fun we had.  We should arrange for a reunion, somewhere fairly safe."

So, imagine my excitement when Joe urged me to hurry up and get vaccinated and said he'll work to put together a reunion.
Hey Florida, here I come!


* * *


Anyone up for a Blogger reunion?


Love y'all!
Myra













 

30 comments:

  1. Great choice of music by Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. I used to play it on the radio often.

    Short of meeting in person, making friendships over the Internet has been a great success story in an otherwise difficult times. It is good when we meet new people through social media and exchange views, stories and ideas. Including humour.

    God bless, Mevely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thank my lucky stars (and God) to have made such wonderful friends on-line. Who'd have thought?

      Delete
  2. Well, Myra, you know I am all about a blogger reunion and if you are coming to Florida, you always have a place to stay! We will be getting our first round of the vaccine the week of the 25th. Our cardiologist talked us into it and had some pretty convincing data to show us. Come on down!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a generous offer! If I should decide to 'take the plunge' it probably won't happen before Fall.

      Delete
  3. It's been such a yucky winter week here in Florida - gray, cold and drizzling rain all day. No fun at all. Love your new fireplace and so glad you are enjoying it. I stopped looking for the zinc and vitamin D months ago, it was as hard as toilet paper to come by. I'm so sorry about your friend Dennis, that's so sad.

    Of course if you come to Florida I'm definitely ready for a meet up! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love that, Martha! The sun's finally come out, but it was 27* this morning.

      Delete
  4. Sorry about your friend; that is sad. I have taken a lot of vitamin C during this pandemic but I always took vitamin C to begin with. I take 2000 mg of it daily and also a packet of the EmergenC if I hear someone at work has been sick. Be careful taking a lot of zinc. Hubby's BIL did at the beginning of this mess back in May and ended up with his blood pressure being very elevated. Once he reduced the zinc, his blood pressure normalized. I did hear vitamin D was good for it too. Love the fireplace, so cozy! A blogger reunion would be fun! Imagine how difficult it would be though to find a place for it with everyone spread out all over the place :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the head's up! I take my BP every morning, so I'll be sure and keep that in mind.

      Delete
  5. I haven't added more supplements to my diet, but I have good nutrition and I also exercise, get plenty of sleep, and practice stress hardiness. That should help some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yours sounds like the perfect recipe to healthy living.

      Delete
  6. PS I recently listened to a book about diagnoses. One woman became disabled and they had trouble figuring out why. It turns out she was getting too much zinc, which meant her copper levels were way too low. They couldn't cure her disability, but they did keep it from getting worse. It's best to be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your new addition. i remember those consoles from way back when. LOL. the pup is soooo precious. Hello right back at you sweetie. Sorry to hear your friend passed. i think a reunion is in order. stay safe. take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I Love your new fireplace! I know you will enjoy it. We have one that looks like a red woodstove, and we turn it on every morning and evening when it is dark. We don't use the heat portion very often as it interferes with our regular heat thermostat since it is in the same room, and then the rest of the house gets cold because the heat won't come on, so we mostly just enjoy the ambience of the flames flickering and turn on the heat for a little boost when chilled and I can stand in front of the "fire" for a spell to warm up. I am sorry about your friend that passed. This virus certainly has been evil. If you do come to Florida, please let us know so we can figure out a way to get together if at all possible. There are a lot of us down here! Take care and God bless you dear friend. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the thermostat tip, Pam. I'm thinking Florida won't happen until sometime in October, but yes. I'd love to get together!

      Delete
  9. I feel better when I take Vitamin D if I feel a cold coming on. I wonder if it works better even than Vitamin C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question! With the internet at my fingertips, there's no excuse for me not to educate myself on all the pros and cons.

      Delete
  10. Hey there Sweetie, you look so cute all wrapped in your blanky. tell mama to put a bed in front of your new beatuiful fireplace, just for the two of you.. I love flickering fire and it would make me happy.
    Sorry to hear about your friend and this blasted virus. THEY said yesterday don't get excited when you get the vaccination and think you are safe and rush out to do things differently. still need to doe the same things. it will take a long time to make a difference and it doesn't mean you are totaly protected, just the steps to getting there. you can still come to FL but wear mask etc.
    my favorite thing today is the last, I do love my weird and not so weird friends that live in my computer..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, I heard that too. Best we be our own health-care advocate.

      Delete
  11. I love Sleepy Hollow fog and frost. I also like the new fireplace. It provides a cozy, soothing atmosphere for winter nights (and days).

    I've been taking numerous vitamin supplements because my immune system is completely shot and causing lots of problems. I'm under extreme stress and hardly get any sleep.

    So sorry that your former coworker/friend passed away. Such a tragedy is a sobering reminder of the fragility of life.

    Your sweet doggie gave me a big smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our local Walmart has been out of zinc and other vitamins for months.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Jon. I, too, struggle with sleep. If it's not my hips, it's my 'fretter' and his friend, 'what-iffer.' I wonder if you can't order your supplements online?

      Delete
  12. So sorry to hear that you fellow coworker/friend passed away, Myra. This Covid thing is just the worst! Hope you can get your vaccine sooner than later. Danny was able to get his first dose yesterday, but my name still remains in the hopper somewhere. We are all longing to be with friends and loved ones again after all this crazy isolation. At least, we can connect via blogging!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thank goodness for the blogging community. So glad to hear Danny got his vaccine. My Tom's still on the fence.

      Delete
  13. Love your little fireplace. Hubby wants one of those, but I'm just not sure where we would put it. May have to work a little harder to find a place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My BF in Florida has hers right across from her bed. I love that idea, but there's absolutely no room.

      Delete
  14. As always this is a fun visit (except losing a great friend with SWEET memories, there are people who have made life's moments SUPER and cannot be forgotten.)
    BUT, but I did smile at the improvising.
    AND yep winter hit here in Florida also. I always feel for folk who happen to take vacations here during a cold snap and are expecting 80s.
    Anyway good shot of the fur baby with a blanket!
    Love ya (like the fireplce)
    Sherry & jack

    ReplyDelete
  15. So sorry for the loss of your friend. Seems we all know someone these days that's been a victim. Praying this vaccine makes a difference and we all can gather with friends and family again. I've been taking extra D here for quite awhile since we have so little sunshine.But recently I picked up a bottle of AIRBORNE which is supplement to the immune systems crafted with Vitamine C. They are; like gummy orange slices and taste like an orange.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How exciting about the fireplace. Do you love it?? Yes on the vitamins.
    D,A,B-12,Zinc,Magnesium,Elderberry,C to name a few. So sorry about your co-worker who passed away. I love my computer friends too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!