Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Currently

 

The other twin



Outside my window?

Meh.  I see on FB where my hometown had a beautiful snowfall overnight.  Not so fortunate here. My beloved hoodie's only good 'til about noon before I begin sweating putty-balls.  (TMI?)  

Funny. As a kid I don't recall ever caring about the weather forecasts -- we pretty much enjoyed what came.

'Just looked at the clock.  Thanks to a head's up from our meteorologist, this time last night Tom and I stood out back and watched the ISS pass overhead, looking like a beautiful jumbo jet.  4 minutes, one horizon to the next ... so cool!


I'm reading.

Yessssssiree!  As some of you know, from the time I could put vowels and consonants together I was a voracious reader.  Until 2013 when I lost that lovin' feeling.  Disgusted, I recently made myself sit down and read at least one chapter each evening.  Honestly, it was hit-and-miss. Awkward.  Then I re-discovered Mike Omer's writing. 

Granted, the Zoe Bentley mystery series may not be everyone's cup of tea.  But his tight, swift-moving story lines and well-crafted characters ring all my bells.


In the kitchen?

Basically, Tom and I each do our own thing when it comes to weekday meals.  More often than not, my lunch is a 'loose-meat' salad with scads of summer squash, walnuts and cheddar.

By the time I'm half-way through, however, I have to trade my fork for a spoon.  Oh well.  Hillbilly, party of one!

Anyone a fan of bacon?  I usually avoid it on account of the sodium content.  Then, Tom's son sent us a gift box containing our favorite sausage and a huge slab of bacon.  Whadd'ya know?  Drawn by the amazing aroma I tried a piece.  It wasn't the least bit salty!

No, the folks at Conecuh didn't ask me to write a review, but I wanted to share this link should anyone want to try a taste of Alabama's best.


Going round my head

Pretty sure I'm not the only one turned off by all the ugliness on Facebook? 

I've joined Parler and MeWe -- but I'm not ready to walk away from FB. There's too many folks whose photos and memes I enjoy.  

But!  If I share some of their content there's a good chance I'll wind up offending someone.  And who wants to be that kind of friend?  I've dear friends on both sides of the political aisle. 

How do you handle this sort of thing?   



Makes me smile

Oh, the sweet side effects of retirement!





Thanks for visiting ..... please keep safe!

Hugs,
Myra

P.S.

Some of you've seen what I shared on my FB page of yesterday's snowfall in New Mexico.   Just 20 minutes from my hometown, this used to be my playground!











35 comments:

  1. Sometimes ion life there is nothing better than a bacon sandwich. Well ... there is ... another bacon sandwich. Your post has made me hungry.

    In olden days we used to have hand-me-down clothes when the younger children wore their elder siblings clothes. I used to hate wearing my sister's dresses! So underwear with days of the week on them seem OK.

    I now wear socks of different colour so I can tell which one is for the left foot and which is for the right.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your lunch salad sounds delicious! What do you use for a dressing? How cool you saw the ISS last night! I dumped Twitter (not that I did much on it) and Instagram recently (hadn't done much on it for the past year). Good for you for enjoying reading that author. Not familiar with him but will have to check him out.

    Yum with bacon! A favorite food of mine!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betty. I weaned myself off bleu cheese and now just use oil/vinegar.

      Delete
  3. I am not on Facebook or Instagram. This is the only peep in social media I have. I have found most people on here to be reasonable. I am going to count that as a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ditched Facebook just weeks within first signing up and that was many years ago, never had any desire to go back. It was a place for people to whine and complain even way back then. I can't even imagine what it's been like over the past year!

    I go in spells with reading. I read 20 books between January and February last year, haven't picked up another one since. Once I do more than likely I'll binge read again.

    Your lunches sound delish Myra! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've become hooked on Green Giant's green-leaf lettuce. It's the best, but so far, only available at Wal-Mart.

      Delete
  5. I love bacon, Myra, and I love to read. Hope you can indulge in both! And how cool to see the ISS passing overhead - we have so many trees here, it's nigh impossible to see anything in the skies, even the moon. Light pollution doesn't help, either.
    See you on MeWe!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I really wish more of my friends and family would go there, too.

      Delete
  6. I know that in different parts of the country, we call foods by different names. I just zoomed in on your salad because I didn't know what "loose meat" means. I'm assuming it is hamburger that you have browned in the skillet? I think I've heard of some region of the country serving loose meat sandwiches so I guess it is the same thing. Conecuh is a wonderful Alabama product! I've never had their bacon but if it is even half as good as the sausage - yum!! How cool that y'all saw ISS passing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops -- I didn't think about that. Ya, 'loose meat' is browned and chopped chuck. I've been doing that since 1970-something!

      Delete
  7. We got that snow you missed out on here. I love bacon and I love books, so indulge frequently. Hoodies are a part of my normal wardrobe here. It's too cold for me and I for one am looking forward to Spring. Take good care there and don't fret over facebook, blogger is still much better for us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Me, you should know me very good by now...I mean not to offend anyone---but, I am very outspoken person and it is what it is. ((grin))--I offer no apologies and always look forward to conversation from both sides...only when it gets personal or name calling, no thanks...I recently had a former professor tell me how disappointed he was in me for supporting America First and we could no longer be friends...bye bye...I don't have time for the wishy washy stuff. ((grin))

    ...and Conecuh is a reason why I miss Alabama. Hopefully, sooner than later we will be back home and we can meet up. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, well I've a bad habit of taking things to heart and internalizing/stewing. I'm aghast that an educator would say that to you.

      Delete
    2. me too Myra (bad habit of taking things to heart)---oh yes, he sure did say that...sad to say...it broke my heart.

      Delete
  9. Yes, the snow is neat. Especially since we’re in an exceptional drought. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to see the ISS sometime. I love bacon and I enjoy reading except it makes me sleepy. lol On FB I try to scroll on by most political stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My eyes have begun to get heavy when I read, as well. Do you listen to audio books?

      Delete
  11. I will go explore the link with the bacon... a favorite food group for us!! I enjoyed your post, Myra. We don't usually eat lunch because we have a late breakfast and an early dinner. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it, Terri! We've been ordering the sausage for years, even while in Arizona.

      Delete
  12. I remember those underwear!! I love sausage on occasion, just a little too greasy for me. Although I did enjoy a sausage sandwich for supper last night. I've signed onto Parler but haven't done much with it, I can't seem to get away from FB. There's is a lot of ugliness there but I've learned to block and to ignore, just keep on scrolling because I know there is still a lot of good there too. I don't know what I'll do in the future, if all my family and friends leave, then I guess I will too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. About FB, that is. Parler? I thought Big Tech had shut it down; I'll have to double check!

      Delete
  13. Rural TN got a scant inch of snow a few days ago. I was going to send it to you but it melted very quickly.
    I really love bacon but seldom make it because it's so messy. The Conecuh bacon sounds tempting. I'm craving a BLT.

    Don't get me started on politics. My liberal friends are rejoicing and proclaiming that "the nightmare is over".
    Truth to tell - - the nightmare is just beginning....

    Hey, I'm wearing my Wednesday underwear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny boy. After a near meltdown yesterday, I'm taking a mental vacation from network news.

      Delete
  14. Trying to catch up. Enjoyed the read, Tom looks good. We will one day give that sausage a try, but sausage is not longer on my eating list. That 5 lbs is tough to lose. LOL
    Love the PS and picture, looks like Christmas doesn't it!
    LOve ya!
    Sherry & jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for making time to visit. It sounds like a lot of unpleasant hoops you're having to navigate.

      Delete
  15. This was very entertaining. I enjoyed visiting today. That salad looks good. I had to enlarge the picture also to see what "loose meat" was, and see that it is good old hamburger. Do you season it any particular way? I do that when I make tacos or enchiladas. If I have any leftover seasoned meat I put it in my salad with some tortilla chips and cheese and make a taco salad. I try to eat some kind of salad every day for lunch too. Yesterday it was lettuce, spinach, fresh strawberries, cucumber, craisins, shredded cheese and I used Marie's Coleslaw salad dressing. Had some wheat crackers with swiss cheese on the side. That bacon and sausage looks great. Do you have to sliced the bacon yourself, or is it already sliced? I would prefer it sliced because I don't think I could cut it thin enough. I think I would like to see if they still make panties with the days of the week on them for adults! That would be a great idea! Socks too. LOL. Yes, that snow looks great and it would be fun to go play in it again as long as I don't have to shovel it and scrape the ice. Have a blessed and wonderful day. God is still in control and He will see us through to victory!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Once in a while I'll add Sid's 'Gunsmoke' seasoning, but usually let the natural juices (80/20 blend) do the flavoring. Coleslaw dressing sounds intriguing! Sorry, the bacon did not come pre-sliced. Tom divided it into manageable chunks, froze 5 and then sliced the 6th.

      Delete
  16. loved the underwear meme. everyday since retirement i have to verify what day it is. So that gave me a good laugh this morning. glad you've rediscovered books again.im so tickled you saw the ISS. definitely cool. and i am a nut for bacon, definitely. a BLT on a hot summer day is food of the gods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terre! Would someone make a fortune if he/she were to start manufacturing those panties for big girls?

      Delete
  17. The Facebook ugliness was getting hard to take, but I've noticed this week that with the exception of a few, most people seem to be moving on from the election. Finally. We all have our opinions and feelings, but I hope we soon learn that we don't need to share them 24/7. It's not like either "side" will ever convince the other of the error of their ways. I have accounts on several sites, but I'm not terribly impressed and nobody is really using them. We all created accounts, but we don't go there. Oh well, I have them if there's ever a mass exodus from FB.

    ReplyDelete
  18. True, the weather was the weather and we just had fun! The only thing I read these days are blog posts. I really want to get in the habit of reading books. Mark and I are the same way in the kitchen except for when we actually plan a meal which is maybe once a week. Wow, what a gift. Mark would love that. I tend to stay away too. I have a few friends who want me to join MeWe but I haven't yet and I'm not ready to give up on Facebook either. Beautiful picture of the snowfall.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!