Monday, May 13, 2019

Water Cooler Monday: Truth Telling





"I suppose she wouldn't be so bad if she only had eyebrows....".

Walking a few feet ahead, I couldn't help overhearing one of the Lindsey twins' critique.

54 years later, that still stings.  Isn't that silly?

Oh, there was never any doubt my parents adored their only child.  Unfortunately, they left me totally unprepared to accept any sort of criticism from my peers.

Thankfully, I've grown thicker skin … and a sense of humor.

Sure, there've been plenty of hits and misses along the way.  If ever you're feeling low and in need of a laugh, let me know.  I'll send photos.  Even as late as Tom's and my wedding in '04.  I didn't merely have eyebrows, they resembled wings.

You're wondering, why on earth didn't someone say something?  (Ya. Me, too.)

Last year Sean Dietrich turned his own eyebrow crisis into part of his stand-up routine.  And once again, I became brow obsessed.  Fascinated (sometimes repulsed) by some stars' pronounced features.  "Big brows are 'in' right now."  So informs my hairdresser.

Say, does anyone remember?
Back in the 70's, each month a ladies magazine (Glamour?) would feature candid "man/woman on the street" photos.   Here, for instance: "Miss Wrong" alongside "Mrs. Right."
… Intended to educate its clueless readers in the do's and don'ts of hair, cosmetics, wardrobe.

Wheels turning, turning.  Turning some more.
I could do that!

The advertisement might read, "Do you dare?"
Based totally on anonymity, the client might agree to spend 1-2 hours at a public venue -- a shopping mall, perhaps -- wearing a corsage or a specific patterned shirt.

A panel of judges (*smile*) -- unknown to one another -- would observe and critique. Obviously, I'm not talking about physical deformities … anything out of one's control, save plastic surgery.
Their impressions would be shared anonymously with the client a few days later.  And everyone would live happily ever after.
  
I never had the poor sense to speak of it out loud.  Until now.

So happy most of the people I know seem to have a healthy self image.  Others -- like my BF Debbie -- simply don't care what others think.


What about you?
Does what others think matter greatly to you?  Not at all?

Do you have someone in your life who you can count on to tell you the truth?



Happy Monday, everyone!  Be safe out there!


Hugs, Myra







19 comments:

  1. i spent my entire life up to age 50 obsessing over how I looked and how much I hated it and how much I hated my hair and my body and my personality. high school was a nightmare for me. I thought I was the ugliest and fattest in the school... I started to change some at 40 when I married Bob and started to see me through his eyes. he thought I was beautiful and still does, which proves love is blind... I still suffer from it somewhat and when I look in the mirror or at photos the old self creeps back in my head. I don't obsess like I did, but still care even though I SAY I don't

    I would hate the show you would have, because I feel every single word I over hear, and not just about myself. bob is always making comments about people and sometimes we get loud because he points out things they can't help. like big nose, wild hair, legs, etc... I even think in my head what others may be thinking of me and saying to each other and that is the reason I NEVER walk down a beach in a bathing suit. think coverups or towel wrap... bob sits and notices varicose veins, I point out to him my legs are covered in them. that kind of thing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our high school years sound eerily similar. I only wanted to be UN-ugly. Ha(!) on Bob's unsolicited commentary, on account I've a big nose AND varicose veins.

      Delete
  2. As I remember, it was only my size. I was average, but it seemed boys my age were always a little taller, more muscular. I get the truth from Sherry at times, but She does 'lie.'
    I did get my feelings hurt if someone was TOO critical of a house I built. LOL
    As always, love from Sherry & jack. She will be by later.
    PS: She does tell me to trim my eye brows, they are like some politician's BUSHY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This reminds me of my dad's small stature earning him the childhood nickname, "shrimpy." Tom has bushy eyebrows, too; I wonder if he's ever thought about trimming them.

      Delete
  3. Well, I - for one - could never warm up to Big Eyebrows.
    I'm thinking of how beautiful actress Joan Crawford looked in her young years - when the Hollywood makeup department thinned and controlled her eyebrows.
    And how hideous she looked in later years when her eyebrows were thick and bushy. She resembled a Soviet truck driver.

    As for criticism - I've NEVER been able to tolerate it (thanks to my father, who criticized me mercilessly until the day he died). Criticism is generally intended to be cruel - and some people are masters at it.

    Ironically, I've always HATED everything about my looks. In retrospect, this astonishes me - since I'm 6'1", blond, with blue eyes.

    Now that I'm getting older (and perhaps wiser) I don't care much about what others think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "A Soviet truck driver" … I'm laughing so hard, Jon. I was thinking more along the lines of Gwen Stefani and Lady GaGa's exaggerated brows. They makes me want to grab a washcloth and bar of soap.

      Delete
  4. I lived through being self conscious about hair, make-up, clothes... Now that I am well into my 60s and retired, it really doesn't matter to me what others think about me. I don't want to look ridiculous, and Joe WILL tell me when I do, but I just want to be comfy and me. Life is so much easier that way!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More than a year post-retirement, I still surprise myself going out of the house sans make-up. Let's hear it for easy!

      Delete
  5. Do you have someone in your life who you can count on to tell you the truth?

    "Truth? What is the truth?" Pontius Pilate
    "You can't handle the truth!" Jack Nicholson

    When I was asked "Does this dress make my backside look big?" I should have thought like Jack Nicholson and said nothing. Instead I told the truth and we had a row.

    Personally, I don't care or mind what people think of me or the way I dress. I know I am a sex symbol for women who do not care.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, your "I Do" post made it's way to Facebook. I laughed then, and this comment made me laugh again.

      Delete
    2. Really? Who put it on Facebook? I need to thank them.

      I'm, not on FB myself.

      God bless you Mevely.

      Delete
    3. Um, that would be me. 😀

      Delete
    4. Thank you so much, Mevely. I am grateful for your support and encouragement. Thank you also for promoting my book on the left margin here.

      God bless you, my friend.

      Delete
  6. Nope, what people think of me doesn't matter that much. What they might think of my family is a different thing, though, and I may defend them a little too much if someone says something negative about them.

    Of course hubby has a way of always telling me the truth about myself, LOL :) (that's what hubbies are for perhaps?)

    DIL doesn't have much in the way of eyebrows and "paints" them on. She was thankful the wee one got son's gorgeous eyelashes and eyebrows LOL :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but I bet he has a sweet way of doing so. It's not just the words, but the way in which they're presented. :)

      Delete
  7. The joy of my present time in life is I don't care what 99% of the world thinks. There are about half a dozen people in my life whose opinion matters to me. They truly have my best interest and I'm grateful that they would tell me if they thought I was doing something foolish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To have half a dozen Real.Friends is a blessing, indeed!

      Delete
  8. What other people thought used to matter a lot, as I suspect it does for most of us when we are young. Right now I'm not all that worried about it, but I'm not quite to that sweet spot of not giving a hoot about anyone's opinion, either.

    ReplyDelete
  9. At this point and time I don't really care what other's think of me but I wouldn't want anyone to say anything bad about me. I'm very frustrated with my eyebrows...FYI I think I have someone I can trust. I keep thinking of the saying from "A Few Good Men" when Jack Nicholson says "You Can't Handle The Truth!"...LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!