Hi! I'm happy to join Terri and her merry band of meddlers to commemorate National Nylon Stocking Day!
Today's posers include ...
Do you ever wear stockings today?
As in 'right now' today? No, only on Sundays.
Terri can remember her mom wearing hose with the seam in the back. Do you have any memories of those? No. During the war, when stockings were scarce, women would draw a line on their legs to simulate wearing stockings! How far would you go to superficially fake something today?
Aside from cosmetics and LOTS of hair gel/spray, I've become a 'what you see is what you get' sort.
Women actually rioted after WWII because Dupont couldn't keep up with the demand for nylon stockings. Is there anything today you would riot for if the supply dried up (other than basic food and water needs)?
I'm probably the last person on the planet to participate in a riot! But yes. If my Social Security check was threatened …..
BTW, does anyone (besides me) recall their parents or grandparents referring to a grandiose neighborhood as the 'silk stocking district'?
Pantyhose were first called Panty Legs. I'm sure we all have worn pantyhose at one time or another. Do you still have a pair or three in a drawer? Do you wear them?
Yes, I've one or two pair but now that I'm retired, there's little reason to do so. I loved the way they keep my legs cool in the summer, and toasty in the winter.
Years ago, when I devoted a post to 'panty nylons' (Tom's term), one reader commented: "I think women who wear upscale outfits without wearing hose look unfinished."
.
How about you fellows? Do you care one way or another?
This is also National Chocolate Chip Day. Perhaps chocolate is something to riot for if we ran out? Joe's favorite cookie is chocolate chip. What is yours?
That would be raw!
Please share something with us about your week.
Backing up to Saturday afternoon...
Lois prepared a wonderful spread of pulled pork, burgers, Conecuh sausage, cheesecake … and something called Louisiana Crack Cake. (Sure wish I'd given in!)
Love that my grand-dogs, cats and chickens were included on the card!
THEN (*shudder*) from the back of the house, I heard Lois' daddy yell and everyone jumped.
Belatedly, I arrived to see my DIL dragging a chicken snake by its tail, away from the hen house. Grand #1 was unsuccessfully whacking it's head with a rubber boot before Grand #2 employed the business end of a hoe.
My fear of snakes is of great amusement. Later, when Troy texted me this photo I remarked, "If I have nightmares, I'm coming after you." He returned, "Lois says, 'sweet dreams.'" Stinkers!
Oh, there's more, but I'll save that for an upcoming post. 'Hope you'll join me! Meanwhile, be safe!
Hugs, Myra






Despite my sordid past and disdainful reputation, I have never worn nylons or pantyhose. Not while I was sober, anyway.
ReplyDeleteI remember my mother wearing nylons. "Seams" seem to have been before my time - - but I do recall Mom occasionally complaining about getting "runs" in her stockings.
That snake photo got my attention. I was relieved when I finally moved out of snake-filled West Texas. I said (to myself) "Thank Gawd there aren't any snakes in Tennessee."
HAHAHAHAHAhahahah....
Boy, was I wrong.
Just goes to prove how delightfully innocent I am.
Aaargh. Runs are the WORST! I used to always keep a spare pair in my desk … until my new boss kept helping herself to mine. She never paid me back - or brought a replacement.
Delete"How about you fellows? Do you care one way or another?"
ReplyDeleteLike Jon, above, I have never worn nylons or pantihose. The latter, as I recall, were good when stuffed with material to make them look like real legs then having them hanging out the side window of a car whilst driving.
God bless.
Now THAT had to be a spectacle. I hope that didn't cause any fender benders!
Deletethat is a huge snake, I would never drag it anywhere or hit is with a boot. I would scream for Bob to come do what he had to do and leave him to it. we don't kill snakes but if they were after the chickens we would. or poionsous. I went from panty hose to thigh tops in the mid 70's and hated both. I wore long skirts/dresses/pants to work and worek calf high to keep from wearing them. the day I retired sept 2006 I threw the whole bunch out and have not worn or owed since.
ReplyDeletebob likes bear legs best but does LOOK if someone has them on... then he makes snide comments about how they look or don't look. I did in the early 60's wear a garter belt with nylons, until 1963.
Garter belts were far too risqué in my parent's world. Rather, a girdle. I can still remember when the old lingerie clerk, Mrs. Benner, would select a box from behind the glass counter .... ceremoniously open the lid and revealed the tissue-wrapped girdle. Like it was the crown jewels or something. Ha.
DeleteOh wow with that snake! I'd have trouble visiting them again!! Brave granddaughter in trying to get it; I'm thinking she has had experience before with dealing with them?
ReplyDeleteSounded like a lovely Mother's Day celebration. A bite of that delicious sounding dessert would have not been too bad! Be daring and fancy free and try a bite the next time something exotic like that is served!
Remember the Eggs pantyhose that came in plastic Eggs? Those were a favorite of mine when I was dressing up for work.
betty
Ya, my DIL and the grands are fearless!
DeleteI loved the L'eggs pantyhose! Each year for Christmas my mom would give me several in a pretty gift-wrapped box. I'd always act surprised and we'd share a good laugh. I miss those times.
As the old song goes, "I don't like spiders and snakes," so I'm right there with you, Myra! And although I still have pantyhose in my sock drawer, I only wear them if it's absolutely necessary. Never have liked them!
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
Now the little record player in my head is playing that song! Love it!
DeleteOh my that snake... gives me the heebie jeebies!
ReplyDeleteMe, too!!!
DeleteUgh! Snakes!! I am right there cowering with you. Ick. Ick. Ick!!!
ReplyDeleteOn the pantyhose, if I ever wore an upscale outfit (bahahaha!) I'd wear them. Other than that, it's a no go.
Ya, I left 'upscale' behind a long time ago!
DeleteI agree on the 'unfinished look' for a lady 'dressed up'.
ReplyDeleteOatmeal cookies are my favorite.
WOW that is one big s--ke! No joke!
As always great visit to your house!
Sherry & jack
Thank you so much for weighing in from a fella's perspective!
DeleteYou are such a tease!! That snake is huge! Glad the chickens were saved! Thanks for joining the Medley, Myra. Kinda silly today but I appreciate everyone who joined in anyway! Hugs for that!
ReplyDeleteOh, I didn't mean to tease. Just random, ordinary happenings. I'm TRYING to keep my posts less-lengthy. Hugs!
DeleteOh Myra! I am so scared of snakes! I scream and carry on when I see them. It is so ridiculous and I cannot help it, I am truly scared. Glad they got that one!
ReplyDeleteI love the card with the critters on it! Loved your answers! Have a great day!!!
https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/
You're in good company, Lori. I can't even stand the sight of snakes on television.
DeleteSNAKES SCARE ME TOO!
ReplyDeleteAbout hose - I quit wearing them a long time ago. I thought they were hot in summer and too tight!!
My favorite cookie is chocolate chip - you can make them now from a bag -and they are good.
Tight yes. But you didn't think they kept you cool in the summer?
DeleteOh my, Oh my! I hate snakes!
ReplyDeleteRaw cookie dough is the best!!!!
HOORAY for another raw dough fan! Thanks for the thumb's up, Cathy!
DeleteJust came over from Cici's corner. I saw your name and it was so unusual I just had to "meet" you:) I enjoyed reading your answers! We are somewhat neighbors...I'm from GA:) And like you...I do like my panty hose; well, I don't really "like" them but do feel the need to wear them sometimes. And...RAW cookies are my speciality:) Off to read more of your blog. Maybe you can drop by mine sometimes:)
ReplyDeleteAw, thank you! Pleased to meet-cha, too. I'll be over in just a minute. :)
Deletescared to death of snakes. i am old enough to remember seams in my stockings.
ReplyDeleteYou're NOT old! :)
Delete