Monday, May 27, 2019

Buyer's Remorse (aka, Water Cooler Monday)



Memorial Day is normally a paid holiday in offices throughout the nation.
Not so in Blogland!
Thanks for joining me for this week's episode of Water Cooler Monday!

* * *



Who remembers Monty Hall's "Let's Make a Deal!"?  Any gamblers in the audience today?

Would you agree, every now and then we've all a little 'what if' deep down inside.  My dad, for instance.  I'll never forget the time he paid $5 for the privilege of choosing a 'mystery brown bag' at the local grocer.  When he got it home and opened it, however, it contained cans and cans of CAT FOOD.  (Of course, we had no cat.)

Well.  I guess I'm not as level-headed as I thought.
ThredUp has a promo where - for a mere $10 -  you can get your own 'mystery brown bag box.'

They asked me to tell them what I like …more importantly what I don't.  (e.g. Nothing blue, nothing sleeveless, no ruffles …)

Their personal shoppers assemble a variety of clothes, usually 10-12 pieces and ship free to your door.  If you buy one, or two -- or all, your $10 is applied to that cost. 

Well, good thing return shipping is free!  I was all excited when my box arrived and hustled to check out what they'd chosen.

While not an EPIC FAIL, I was seriously disappointed.


In the end, I kept a pair of Adidas athletic pants and a Lush new-with-tags white blouse.  Only because I've not owned a white blouse since 6th grade, and one never knows. 


So, I'm kicking myself over here.  In the first place, I could care less about designer clothing.  And in the second place, I don't NEED more clothes.  

What can I say?  Daddy, this one's for you!


Please. Can you tell me about a time you felt buyer's remorse?


I hope everyone's enjoying a safe holiday.  Let's never forget the reason!

Hugs, Myra

19 comments:

  1. it is rare for me to come to your blog and find you have done something totally opposite from what I would do. we have so much in common. BUT this is something I would never do. the five dollar bag or the 10 dollar and they pick...I am suffering buyers remorse from what YOU bought. ha ha… he funny thing is, I have never bought a single thing that I did not have buyers remorse. from TV to Computer, to beloved Tablet, I always suffer buyers remorse.. there is one item that I never did have it. my Kindle Reader, I loved it from day one and bought a 2nd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I fell for the gimmick. If ever I start feeling that way again, how about I call and you can talk me off the ledge?

      Delete
  2. YES BIG TIME! The only time in my life I 'caught car fever' I traded a perfectly good 4dr Rambler my wife loved (we had two sons) for a '68 Chevy 2dr hardtop Malibu. Great car, but a stupid move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! Jus' so you don't go feeling too bad, Jack. I once persuaded my (former) hubby to sell his 1965 Mustang for $300 to buy my boss' T-Bird ... that turned out to be a real lemon.

      Delete
  3. Your professional shopper must have had a mini stroke if they couldn't get too much right in your box. I stay away from white because they have a way of getting stains on them no matter how careful I am with them. No recent buyer remorse perhaps because I'm trying to limit what I buy :)

    Have a great day!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, that's it; she had a stroke! :)
      Like you, I'm cautious at the thought of wearing white, particularly if food/beverages are involved. Why doesn't someone start marketing adult bibs?

      Delete
  4. Buyer's Remorse: A book on how to make a boomerang. It was useless. Every time I threw it away I found it back on the bookshelf. Apparently "it fitted in with the other books perfectly!"

    A bottle of invisible ink. When I opened it, it was empty ... or invisible.

    A shirt marked in the shop window 30% off. When I got it home someone had cut off the sleeves.

    A Stradivarius painting. When I got it valued they told me Stradivarius was not a painter. They also told me Rembrandt did not play the violin.

    Special glasses with little mirrors on the side so you could see behind you as you walk. I walked straight into a lamp post.

    A deodorant stick. The instructions said, "Remove cap and push up bottom." I can barely walk with it, but when I "toot" I smell real nice.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're on a roll … and I love every sentence!

      Delete
  5. Yes, I do have buyer's remorse now and then. Something I'm crazy about in the store just doesn't cut it when I get it home. Same with online orders. But, it doesn't happen that often. I'm not a big shopper. I like the white blouse, by the way!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terri! That always used to be the case with my mother's shoes. Gosh, how I hated all those returns!

      Delete
  6. I have seriously thought about doing thred up because I am terrible at shopping. I do like the white shirt! I feel like I do experience buyers remorse from time to time. Have a great day!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, at least you got two nice articles of clothing from your mystery box adventure.
      At least it wasn't cat food.....

      When I was about ten years old, my Mom fell for a magazine ad that promised 25 beautiful multi-colored towels for an unbelievably low price.
      She was expecting big bath towels. It turns out they were tiny - - about the size of washcloths or less. And they were very, very, VERY thin.

      Delete
    2. Oh no! I hope, given time she was able to laugh about that. Why do some people have to be so deceitful?

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing. I don't like when that happens. They do a good sell don't they?? I think I'm waiting for a special top to arrive in the mail any day now. Hope I like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! I hope you'll 'show' us when it arrives?

      Delete
  9. A car once, my hubby threw the keys at him! We bought a second car, than after driving it for ten days they said we had to come up with a larger down payment. When they heard the hubby worked at a Fortune 500 law firm, they took their keys and left us alone. I am remember sitting in our mini van with all the kids, joining our hands in prayer. The salesman was probably once a linebacker! He towered over my husband! Oh my goodness, a long, long time ago! Thank goodness more dealerships are more honest today with set pricing on their vehicles. LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!