G'morning ... and Happy Valentine's Day!
Anyone remember this ad campaign?
... it's not aired in decades, but its motto is still embedded in my 'gray matter.'
Today's poser ...
Generic products have come a long, long way. Sometimes I can't tell the difference, and who doesn't want to save a few cents whenever possible?
Nevertheless, there are certain brands to which I'm fiercely loyal: Charmin, Hellman's, JIF ... to name a few.
How about you? For what would you rather fight than switch?
xoxoxo from Phoenix!
Myra



For me it is craftsman and Milwaukee tools. I am on a tablet to try this. Computer is slow.
ReplyDeleteI guess that's akin to an artist's brushes? Sound choice! ... sez she who really has no idea. *lol*
DeleteJif and Blue Plate Mayo and i don't know if GM is a brand but bob is GM to the bone. i did switch from Jif for me and now i am hooked on all natural Laura Scudders peanut butter, peanuts and salt. bob will not touch a pbj sandwich that has any other than jif
ReplyDeleteAnother blogger recommended Laura Scudders, but I forgot to check it out. Heck, if I don't like it I'll give to Tom ... he's like that little kid Mikey in the old commercial.
DeleteDiet Coke. Nothing else will do. Also, being from the general vicinity of Pittsburgh, the only real ketchup is Heinz.
ReplyDeleteAin't nothing like the Real Thing, hmmm? Our server recently asked Tom, "Is Pepsi alright?" Him: "No, but I'll drink it anyway."
DeleteI'm sure that cute "rather fight than switch" ad would be banned today for being abusive, sexist, violent, and encouraging the use of cancer-causing substances.
ReplyDeleteThere's nothing left, Myra - but they can't take our memories from us (not yet, anyway).
As for favorite brands, I usually buy the cheapest ones. And I also think that some of the big-name brands taste worse than the lesser-known ones (not ALL, but some...).
Have a great Valentine's Day!
You're probably right about the television censors. Back in the 80's when I went to work at WTSP Sales, my manager told me, "You'll never watch a commercial in quite the same way." (He was right.)
DeleteI remember that commercial! For me it would be coffee. Since it's our favorite drink, the generic brands let me down. We like the expensive rich blends like Seattle Best #4, Folgers or Dunkin Donuts!
ReplyDeleteGreat answer! Dunkin Donuts isn't quite strong enough for me, but I've not tried Seattle Best. Funny, I refuse to patronize Starbucks but buy their Fresh Roast pods on line.
DeleteWe had some great commercials back in the day, didn't we!! I don't really have name-brand preferences but Joe eats Skippy creamy peanut butter and won't switch - not even to Jiff. LOL
ReplyDeleteYes, we did. Bet you can recall lots of those old jingles, too? All this talk I've started about peanut butter is making me hungry ... I've not had any in the house for months!
DeleteBriers Ice Cream.
ReplyDeleteReally? I'm not a big fan of ice cream, but had to shake my head at the hysteria when Blue Bonnet closed shop for a while there. Maybe I'll have to perform a taste test!
DeleteYep, we are committed to Charmin and Hellman's too. Of course in CA Hellman's is called Best Foods.
ReplyDeleteTrue story: When we first moved here and I couldn't find a single jar of Hellman's ANYwhere, I was NOT a happy camper ... envisioning asking my BF to ship me some. When Tom heard that, he laughed long and hard ... and asked me to read the Best Foods label carefully.
DeleteHellman's mayo, for sure! I've tried others from time to time, but Hellman's is still my favorite. Charmin, too. (Our butts deserve the best, too!) I used to be that way about Jif, too, but then I tried Skippy's natural peanut butter with honey and got hooked.
ReplyDeleteLuckily, the grocery store I shop at most frequently runs BOGO sales every week, and they very often include the brands and items I'd buy, anyway... like Hellman's.
Have a super weekend!
LOL! Yes, our butts deserve the best. :)
DeleteYours is the second mention of Skippy. I'll have to look for BOGO sales at Publix when we move.
Hellmans for me too. And Dawn dish washing detergent. And Kleenex for tissues. But for the most part I am all about saving money so generic is okay by me.
ReplyDeleteI always used Palmolive until Sandra (above) told me about Dawn. Sold! When Tom and I had head colds last month, I was too cheap to go out and buy Kleenex ... was using paper towels instead and wound up with ugly fever blisters.
DeleteLove those commercials of yesteryear. Brand loyalty resonates with me. Harney and Sons tea is a must have. Absolutely no exceptions.
ReplyDeleteMe, too! I've not heard of Harney & Sons, but appreciate brand loyalty. Heck, I've been on my own since 1970 and still use Tide detergent because that's what my mother always used.
DeleteI'm sooooooo jealous! If I lived in Phoenix I would be at the Spring Training every single day! My friend Y and her beau Jerry go every single year! I am sad. I want to go too :-(
ReplyDeleteYou know I like to write mini novels so I try to break up my commenting hahahaha! Yes Brody Edward is a divine little human, but alas. they will not allow me to run away with him! Darn! I use to be faithful to Northern TP, then Angel Soft and then Cottonelle. Now it is Charmin, the kids all swear by it so we tried it and we liked it! I am a Peter Pan peanut butter person. At one time it was the one and only pb that did not contain that nasty chemical additive soy lecithin! People claim to enjoy healthy diet drinks etc. G R O S S ! Dear Lord I saw what that chemical poison did to lab rats and doctors I worked with inmedical research always said, just drink rat poisoning. It will kill you quickly. All those fake sugar additives will kill you sloooowwwwlllyyy over time! Nasty nasty stuff! So healthy eating should never include rat poisoning additives and believe me I worked with docs who devoted their lives to that research. PLus it often presents a falsa positive primarily in women, that mocks MS or MD. Colorado has a sky rocketing number of MS and MD in women. SOmething to do with our altitude. In fact, Jacey, Harrison's momma, her mom Lisa has it. But the treatment has come a very long one. One of the few neurological diseases to make tremendous advancements.
ReplyDeleteNow that I gave you my 32 years of experience working in the medical field with top notch research people, I say Woo Hoo and congratulations! Happy you get to exit stage left from your job! A new adventure awaits you. what fun! IT has been ages since I traveled to Alabama, via the Grayhound bus with my cousin Joanne and our mothers back in 1967 when our cousin Tommy married the Admirals daughter. We had never been in such a formal home with servants and the whole nine yards! Yikes! Not my cup of tea at all. But I remember, our moms made fried chicken for the trip and before Joanne and I were 100 miles away from our hometown we had finished off all of our chicken. LOL! ANyway it was summer and it was very hot and humid but their wedding was spectacular and we got to go sightseeing too. I have always enjoyed traveling in the South. Lots of good old fashioned hospitality. My twin Hayley lives in Opelika, Alabama. She is a LuLaRoe consultant I met at FB. We have very similar likes and often she says, if you buy this Anne, you can be my twin. Now she is 32 and I am double that age! LOL! But we have much in common and one day I would love to travel to Alabama to meet her face to face. Anyway I am taking all your comment space here so time to be quiet. DOn't you dare forget me and send me your new address info so we can keep in touch. You know me and my random gift giving. Hee Hee. Have a beautiful week my friend. HUGS Anne
ReplyDeleteFor the record, spell check/ auto correct is awfully mean to me. No matter what I say it switches my words. So frustrating. Have a good evening! :-)
ReplyDeleteReviews of best bottom loading water dispensers. When your website or blog goes live for the first time, it is exciting. That is until you realize no one but you and your.
ReplyDelete