This week's poser is taken from Bret Nicholaus and Paul Lowrie's delightful little book
In fact, I asked the same of our associates during last week's morning line-up:
"Can you identify something you tend to notice (or look for) that most others fail to see?"
* * *
"For instance?", you ask?
No matter where I go -- even when I don't need to 'go' -- I've got to learn the location of the restrooms.
One manager volunteered, "I always notice people's shoes." (Made me wish I were sitting, so I could tuck my feet up under my butt. lol!)
My assistant GM - a former firefighter/paramedic - is understandably aware of safety conditions. A bit off-topic, but I found this bit of trivia fascinating: K never stays in a hotel room higher than the 7th floor, because that's the limit how high fire engine ladders will reach.
How about you?
What's something you notice or look for, (you think) others fail to see?
Thanks for visiting WCW!
Hugs from Phoenix,
Myra



When I was a working nurse I once heard a doctor say that he had the utmost trust in a nurse who cared enough about her shoes to polish them and keep them clean. He knew she would pay attention to detail when it came to caring for his patients. I loved hearing that because I polished my shoes every Sunday evening. Filthy shoes (on nurses) is disgusting. I always notice nurses shoes!
ReplyDeleteGood point! ... I don't think the nursing staff in Arizona got this memo. :) Regardless the facility, every nurse I saw wore brightly colored tennis shoes. One admitted, that's their only avenue to express his/her individuality.
DeleteWhen I was a kid my dad worked for the Mellon family, managing their wildlife preserve, and Mrs. Mellon "took a shine to me" and payed the tuition for me to attend the same exclusive private school her own children and grandchildren did. I was in class with one of them. Anyway, Dad drilled dinner etiquette into me. He was determined I would be able to sit down to dinner with anyone in any setting and fit in. Thanks to that I do notice people's table manners. I certainly don't follow all of those high-falootin' rules and I don't expect others to, but there are some things (like scraping your teeth on the silverware or chewing with your mouth open to name a couple) that grate on my nerves...though I would never ever point it out or hold it against anyone. I just notice it and it kills me to see an otherwise beautiful woman shoveling food into her mouth and talking away or just chewing like a cow.
ReplyDeleteWhat wonderful gifts ... both Mrs. Mellon and your dad! When we used to cruise there were a couple formal evenings where I was glad the Girl Scout leader taught us what tableware was what. Do ya ever wonder if restaurant servers silently judge their customers? (lol)
DeleteI'm sure servers think lots of things about their customers, but I worry more about what they might do to my food if they don't like me. Did you ever see one of those hidden camera shows or movies that catches what some have done to food before serving it? Ugh!
Deletegood to know about the fire trucks.
ReplyDeleteI know, right? A few of us old enough to remember mentioned The Towering Inferno. (Smiling, recalling that scene with OJ Simpson and the kitten.)
Deletei am with you all the way AGAIN. my hubby once stated to a friend My wife knows where every restroom in the county is. when we used to travel, i knew where the next rest area was and the one i would stop at and not stop at. i wish all stores would use on place to locate them. I also notice shoes, womens shoes. i have loved shoes my whole life, but now there are only a few that are comfy and i cant wear pretty anymore.
ReplyDeletei can also beat the fireman story. I refuse to sleep any higher than the 2nd floor. it has to be so i can drop out the window if i need to even if i might break a leg. i always ask for first floor but if in a pinch take 2nd. i called to make reservations for my brother and for me for our dads funeral in Savannah. my conversation started with i want two rooms on the first floor next or across from each other. she said nothing is available, we have that on 3rd floor, NO must have first floor. she said i have one on first and the onther on first is at the far corner same floor. took that but when we got there, someone had canceled and we were across from each other. the most interesting thing of all... the church my dad pastored for over 20 years, was sold and torn down and the hotel was built on it. I said to my brother, our rooms are on Sticky Baby's Grave. that was our dog that we buriend behind the church under the oak tree about 46 years before. OOPS i took over your blog
Oh.My.Gosh! I'm blown away by the coincidence of your hotel room sitting on the site of your dad's church and Sticky Baby's Grave!
DeleteI, too, practically insist on being on the 2nd floor of a hotel ... for the same reason you cite! (Not that I don't trust the firefighters, but would prefer to exit on my OWN terms. LOL)
It is interesting to see the different things that people notice. I notice peoples smiles, and the beauty of nature...and lots more but those two the most. I do love water cooler Wednesdays !
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for saying that, Ma. Last evening I came THIS close to deleting it. :)
DeletePS - I, too, love a genuine smile.
I'm with MA, I love this blog day! I cannot be in any building and not look at the trim. Wood trim takes a special carpenter. I love good work. I notice people who do not know 'camping etiquette'. AND I WILL KNOW WHERE A TOILET IS! hahahaha
ReplyDeleteYes you have a fascinating BLOG, always enjoy the visit, and great comments you enlist!
Moving day here, headed back to our own back yard (In Florida!)
This comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteOK, you got me! I can't ever recall noticing wood trim anywhere I go. Nope, I don't know nuttin' about camping etiquette.
ReplyDeleteTravel safely today, OK? Like the song goes, 'I've grown accustomed to your face... you almost make the day begin."
Eye color. Not sure why.
ReplyDeleteR
Great answer! I had to stop and think how many of my co-workers' eye colors I could identify without looking. (Hanging head in shame ....)
DeleteI personally knew a fireman and that guy is typical of the way they're trained to protect us. I tend to notice another's countenance. It's not something you can see but feel and I pick up their emotions. It's always a choice how I'll react!
ReplyDeleteCountenance ... what a wise answer! No doubt, it served you well while in sales; but I'm not really surprised. Yours is a gift, my friend.
DeleteHa! Since I started working in a museum 20 years ago, I now find myself looking at fire suppression, security cameras, and the uniforms of the security guards before I begin to look at the exhibits. I need to check out the building first, including the flooring choices. Maybe after I'm retired for a few more years, this will change!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness, that's interesting! Certainly not something (I don't think) an ordinary soul would notice. Invaluable powers of observation, nonetheless.
DeleteI constantly have my eyes to the sky! I especially love watching the changes from an hour before until an hour after the sun rises and sets, but all day long I constantly take notice of the sky. I have hundreds of photos to prove it too :)
ReplyDeleteThat's great! Ever changing and rearranging, I'm sure 'Mr. God' appreciates your audience. (*smile*)
DeleteI notice people's faces... especially their smiles and their eyes. Both reveal inner kindness... or surliness.
ReplyDeleteI also notice where exits are, in case of emergency.
And this one's kinda weird. My hubby's a car guy and we go to a lot of car shows. I always notice whether or not an old car has an ungraded brake system.
Have a super weekend!
HA! I wouldn't know a brake system if it up and slapped me. Like you, wherever they go, my son is uber aware of exits. Love your first paragraph!
ReplyDeleteYes bathroom locations are important to me too!
ReplyDelete