Sunday, January 21, 2018

Jus' for Fun ...


... I'm in the mood for a little Sunday Stealing. 


 How about you?  Click HERE to play along!

* * *

Have you ever tried to learn (or re-learn) a foreign language as an adult?  Which one?  What worked for you?

Mid 80's, I (thought I) was passionate about learning to speak Italian.  Once while visiting a friend in Tuscany, I took myself down to the farmers market and tried passing myself off as a local.  HA!  Easy to sound authentic when asking "How much?"; not so much, understanding their response.



Do you donate blood?  Do you know your blood type?

Only once ... I felt pressured to 'set an example' (at work).   Unfortunately, my veins were reluctant to give up my O-neg. and the Blood Mobile ladies didn't try hiding their impatience.

My b.p.'s always been really low.  A couple weeks ago during routine labs the tech had to put a heating pad in the crook of my arm to draw a sample.
  


Have you ever been in a play or musical?

My only 'claims to fame' were being cast as a nun in high school productions of The Sound of Music ... and a woolly mammoth in Wilder's Skin of Your Teeth.  My only line, "It's c-c-c-cold!"

... and still, my parents attended and clapped furiously.  (*smile*)



Do you use certain text or ring tones for specific people?  Who gets their own?  Or, do you just use the default on your phone?

I sure do!   Friends = 'Thank you for Being a Friend' (Golden Girls), Family = Sweet Home Alabama and DH = Harlem Nocturne.  My boss and her sidekick have been awarded the theme from The Good, The Bad and the Ugly.
My default's the 'feather' theme from Forrest Gump ... more often than not, that goes to voice-mail.



When did you get your first digital camera?  
I've no idea!  Probably later than most. 
Do you still shoot on actual film, or all digital now? 
While the idea of using 'real' film sounds terribly romantic, I've little talent and less patience.



What do you think someone else would say the most daring thing you've done is?

Before becoming terrified of Interstate 10, I took my little dog and beat feet out of Florida ... knowing no-one (besides Tom) with no job prospects.   In hindsight, that was more selfish than daring.



Do you talk with your hands?

I don't think so. 
Now that you mention it, I'm not sure WHAT I do with my hands.



Do you have a lucky number? What is it, and what is the story behind it?

Not lucky, but my favorite number is 13.   Until recently, I hated that number ... that being the date my mother passed away.   Then one day, I looked - really looked - at a  portrait of the Last Supper ... and counted.



What kind of milk did you drink, growing up?  And now?

Unless it came with a strawberry or chocolate-filled straw (remember grade school?) ... I didn't wouldn't. 
Now?  I enjoy Silk Almond milk over frozen coffee cubes on occasion.




What is your favorite kind of pie?

My taste buds have grown up, and my dad's favorite has become my own:  Egg Custard.



Are you a note taker?

Yep.  I still use Gregg shorthand while at work ... except I'm usually composing a grocery list or compiling thoughts for a future post.



Do you have an eclectic mug collection, or is your stuff all matchy-matchy?




Do you have a junk drawer in your house/garage/at work/wherever?
Doesn't everyone?



What is the longest amount of time you've worked at one job - and what was/is it?

The key word, "is."  Last September I marked 15th years as admin to the GM at a timeshare hotel/resort.   First job I've not loved ... but at my age, beggars can't be choosers.



How old were you when you took your first commercial flight?  To where did you go?

Between our sophomore and junior years, BF Liz and I flew from Albuquerque to Phoenix.   July.  I've no memory of feeling uncomfortably warm ... isn't that crazy?



Have yourselves a beautiful new week!

Hugs from Phoenix,
Myra









12 comments:

  1. I have the problem you have with having blood drawn. And I take too many meds.
    Good on you for learning stenography. My mom was a Stenographer and I’ve tried mightily to learn it, but no luck. Have a (((Hug))). And a great day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. it continues to amaze me on these questions that almost every single answer you put on here matches me perfectly. usually 2 out of all of them are different. i think i will borrow this set for a post in the future.
    the one that has me smiling today is beat feet out of FL and I beat feet out of GA and came to FL with no job, no place to live, homeless with 200 my daddy lent to me. my aunt let me sleep on her sofa for 6 weeks or i would have been in my tiny Nissan truck. when i do my questions you will see how much they are alike.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ALWAYS (NO EXCEPTIONS SO FAR) ENJOY YOUR NEAT ANSWERS. Funny we have so many small things in common except milk, I love it anyway! LOL Tried learning Spanish (berlitz?) while hiking the AT. No good. Tried using my French in France, disaster.
    Same experience with blood. Also my dad passed on the 13th also I lean to 13.
    Sherry is going over these as I do. We ENJOY discussing this.
    I do like your, "Doesn't everyone?"

    We truly enjoy YOUR anwers and do some comparing. But it would take me ten pages and a day or two to answer.
    Sherry loved shorthand, but never used it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, Jack69 (comment above) expressed my sentiments exactly. I always love your answers and can fully relate to them.

    I'm trying to remember what kind of milk I drank as a kid. One thing I certainly do remember are those chocolate and strawberry-filled straws.

    As if you couldn't guess - I'm going to steal these questions and use them on my blog. I love answering things like this.
    I'll do this as an "interlude" from the recent serious posts about my great escapes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, you've been to Tuscany...that's a dream of mine.
    I love your ringtone for your boss! LMBO
    Why you like 13 gave me goosebumps.
    I still don't like plain milk. It's got to be flavored.
    If we ever get down to visit family in Alabama again after you are moved there, we are so going to have to meet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The one about the ring tones on your phone is hilarious. I can see you in Tuscanny bargaining with those Italians. My younger daughter loved Italy and the people. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still have my old Canon F1 film camera. I've thought about selling it, but I can't bring myself to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love these questions and your answers. i like egg custard too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do have a different ring tone for different people. My favorite is the tick tock sound I gave my daughter many years ago when she was expecting her first and only child. It's fun and when it comes to family, I always know who is calling before I answer. This is a fun post today and won't take time to comment on each question, but enjoyed all your answers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was fun. I definitely talk with my hands and I have too many junk drawers :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fun answers!

    I took five years of French when I was young, and at one time, I was quite fluent. I've "thought" many times of learning Spanish, because... hello? THAT would definitely come in handy. French? Not so much.

    I love your collection of different ring tones. If I ever had a cellphone, which isn't likely, seeing's as how I don't WANT one, it'd be fun to match different ring tones to different people. One of the funniest ring tones I've ever heard was Lily Tomlin's voice saying, "One ringy-dingy, two ringy-dingy... three ringy-dingy..."

    I don't use my hands to talk nearly as much as I used to. I remember giving an oral book report in front of my class one time, and after I'd finished, the teacher said, "Now, put your hands behind your back and do it again." :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!