Friday, August 21, 2026

Speaking of

 

.....Fictional characters.  I so enjoyed your answers!



Have you read anything lately I should check out?

Like my changing tastes in food ... I'm sad how some genres/authors I used to covet now hold little interest.


Thankfully -- in large part to an insufferable glut of sports programming these last several months -- I've discovered some pretty great books.  A few, unforgettable.


And then along came Whistler.   I was curious what all the hoopla was about.

At first, disappointed.  Like the blind date who, while perfectly pleasant, doesn't spark my imagination.   

I was all ready to return it to the library ... but knowing Tom might be a while at his stress test, I tucked it in my purse for the wait.  What a surprise when, not even to the halfway point, I came upon a sentence that suddenly made my eyes fill. And overflow.  How embarrassing! Turning my head and digging in my bag for a tissue, I prayed no-one would notice.  


8 little ordinary words, but that sentence reignited my interest.  I'm glad it did, but I'm left with mixed feelings about the ending.  Ms. "no loose ends" here likes her stories wrapped neatly and tied with a bow.  

I'm leaning towards buying my own copy off eBay to save and re-read it at a later time.  Do you ever do that?




Anyways!

As some of you know, Facebook has a cute way of dropping random, unrelated nuggets in my feed (I presume) hoping they'll catch on.  Annoying, yes.

But that's our new normal.  For instance.....

Have y'all ever heard of the Silent Book Club?
..."a global community of readers with 2,200 chapters in 70 countries.  No assigned reading, it's Bring Your Own Book."  More than a million  (wow!) members gather in person or online to read and swap stories.

No, I'm not joking.  Apparently, it's a real thing -- at least in Prattville.   According to their press, more than 40 folks showed up the other evening to sit, sip and read in compatible silence.  


Years ago, this might have piqued my interest, but not anymore.  I wanted to put this out there in the event someone's interested.



It's still far too warm to spend time out here in the sunroom, but this remains my favorite place to curl up with a good book.
No conversation necessary!





22 comments:

  1. No thanks to the silent book club. I'm much more content in my recliner, right here at home! Interesting, though!! I'm enjoying The Isle of Man cozy mystery series on Kindle Unlimited. There are 15 books! I'm on seven, I think. Happy weekend, Myra! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. If a silent book club offered drinks and snacks I might consider it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so would love to just sit and curl up with a book. Wishing you a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading is good for the imagination. You can visualise the characters and places as the plot develops and you get drawn into the story.

    As Groucho Marx said, outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend, and inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that (visualization) all the time ... and often "cast" the characters from people I know -- for better or worse. (lol)

      Delete
  5. A book club, silent or not, has never appealed to me, Myra. I will look up Whistler, but have such a backlog of books waiting to be read I'm pretty sure I won't be ordering it any time soon. Reading is my favorite pastime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That holds no appeal for me, either. Privacy, please!

      Delete
  6. Enjoyed this post and the book reccomendation:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not a book club person either. Although I do read a lot! Glad you got to enjoy your book after all. I have bought books that I've read. Sometimes you just have read them again. Happy reading to you! Love, ma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I'd hate to think/visualize one thing, then hear someone else's version. Ha!

      Delete
  8. I am definitely a reader, To tell the truth I have dropped to a lower scale of reading. Simple cowboy books, and I cannot seem to break away. I know I will at some time. BUT I can drop a book in a minute if it is 'TOO BORING' and not holding me. My sweet heart has a problem doing that, She forces herself thru. ALSO I am HIT HARD by some very wise, insightful statements authors can put on paper..
    You too can set some good words to print that catch our interest, for sure.
    Love ya from a hot florida....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nice thing to say! Thank you dear friends.

      Delete
  9. I follow many Authors on Kindle Unlimted, I am into the series, most of them right.
    Leigh Fenty
    Susan May Warren
    Fiona Quinn, there are more but these 3 I have pretty much ready everything they write. Most of these are Christian Suspense Novels. Fenty is Westerns. they are none of them rated R or full of the F word

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are sometimes hard to find! Thanks for telling me.

      Delete
  10. I have hit such a dry spell in reading for far too long. There are books sitting on a chair right beside my "office desk" that have been there for simply ages.
    I don't like that my "Get up and go, has got up and went"
    Keep encouraging us and who knows it might finally sink in !!!
    Have a great weekend.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep meaning to take the advice of a morning show host: Read 10 minutes EVERY day until it becomes a habit.
      Some days are better than others.... lol.

      Delete
  11. I read a lot every day, but most of it is online or my Kindle because of eye problems. I mostly don't read fiction.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!