Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Meet me at the Hodgepodge!

 

Flight #668, that is.
Thank you, "Pilot Joyce"!



How do you feel about the transition from lazy summer days to a busier fall routine?

As an empty-nester retiree, I've no feelings one way or the other.
I will, however, do a happy dance once the mercury drops below my age.



What's your favorite cookie?

White chocolate macadamia



What's something you've learned from a culture different than your own?

Years ago, I tried maintaining a relationship with a man who lived in Tuscany.  Talk about "geographically undesirable"!

What a surprise to discover, Italians begin their meals with the entree.  The second course, salad, comes later.  I didn't want to correct A. because I thought he didn't know better.  Hahaha!



Food critic, film critic, book critic, art critic.  Which hat would you most like to wear?  Tell us why.

Food critic, please.
The others? I'm not educated/intelligent enough to fake my way through a critque.



What's a small, random thing from your childhood that you still remember clearly?

While in 2nd grade, I was made to stay after school as punishment for gosh-only knows what.  Instead, I slipped out, walked in the house and informed my mother, "I escaped."

Much to my humiliation she marched me right back.

That same year, I stole a little card of safety pins from the local department store.

Poor mother!  She took me back, right up to old Mrs. Benner and made me apologize.

Thanks to her, any seedlings of felonious behavior were nipped in the bud.
I've been a Rules Follower ever since.



Insert your own random thought here.


Amen!





Hugs, Myra


47 comments:

  1. Your random thought is just what I needed to read today! Stealing it for my inspiration wall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We lived in France for 13 months, and Andy still eats his salad last. (We don’t eat desserts.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting! I'm always concerned I'll fill up with salad before my meal arrives.

      Delete
  3. I will be happy when it cools down a little too.
    I like learning about different cultures.
    hahaha! Your thing from your childhood did make me chuckle. Your mother did the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so, too. 'Just wish I'd told her so in the "living years."

      Delete
  4. Wow ... your random thought at the end is the best.

    Often, when we are tired, perhaps hungry too, our minds start wandering and wondering "what if" ... and we start worrying. That's the devil's playground. He uses our worries to distance us from God.

    But if God is on our mind first !!!

    Thank you Mevely for this wonderful thought. Much appreciated. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that random thought, Myra.
    I have a similar story in my childhood. You don't forget that humiliation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. GREAT post today with much food for thought. I guess I'd be a book critic before a food critic, but it would be a close race because I love both. I'm ready for these 100+ days to end, but I don't like cool weather at all. I'd settle for a day in the low 90's. They do say start the day with God first and it will be a good day, which I always try to do. Thanking Him for another new day! When we're thankful, we do it to God. Good thought there! Love, ma

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will join everyone else's opinions about your random thought.
    It is just about perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved your childhood memories:) I've often thought eating my salad after my entree would be a smart idea. Often, my salad kills my appetite and I don't enjoy my entree/meal nearly as much. Funny. Happy Hodge Podge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! What's that old saying, "When in Rome...."

      Delete
  9. I think this has now become a prayer that I will pray each morning.... I sure enjoyed your stories of being younger. Thank goodness for great moms who made us do the right things. I laughed about the Italian. Reminded me of my MIL who has since passed. She always ate her dessert first then the meal and then the salad. Never sipped her tea until after the meal was finished. I keep thinking only one more week and the temps will drop...I'm beginning to wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved all your answers. Re: salad last...that's how my mother did it too. If we even had a salad, we ate it last, or alongside our entree. I still prefer to do that today. If I eat it first, I don't have room for the entree. Your mother was very wise, and you are now also very wise! And I also love the random thought. All in all, this was good. And yes, please bring on the fall weather!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder what our server would say if I asked her/him to bring my salad later. Hmmmm....

      Delete
  11. I pray that same prayer every morning...sometimes during the day, too. Your mother sounds like mine. Gosh, I don't know where I would be without her stern guidance and a peach tree switch! LoL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mother love lessons ... there's nothing like it.

      Delete
  12. Absolutely love the ending quote. I am so guilty of spinning my wheels before my eyes are really open.
    I love macadamia cookies too. Yum
    I really learned that we are actually pretty much the same under all that stuff on the surface !
    Good post today Myra.
    hugs
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your life of crimes has me laughing historically. My brother was 4, I was 8, when David brought home a really cute pipe, the kind you put cherry tobacco in. It belonged to the man of the house where my dad the Pastor and his family had eaten dinner.
    Daddy followed your moms punishement and my brother never stole anything again and neither did I because I saw what happened. That did not stop my brother from shooting a BB into every single window pain in every window with the BB gun he got for Christmas, he and the deacons son did it. We did not know they did it until my brother at over age 40 told the story to us at a family dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fantastic meme, Myra! I will remember that one. Your mom, by the way, did the right thing. She didn't want her daughter turning into a reprobate - LOL! I do miss my parents so much.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We would fight over cookies, Myra!! There would have to be two bags full!! LOL I was told, by Joe's mom, that salad comes last because it is easier to digest that way. I actually enjoy the salad as the last course (before dessert) and think "real" Italian restaurants should do it that way! They do in Italy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ironically , when I was in 2nd grade the teacher made me stand in the corner for talking....and I was NOT talking. The same teacher who made us dance the Waltz of the Flowers (remember that?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How can I forget, Jon. That's one of the best laughs I've ever enjoyed.

      Delete
  17. Thanks Myra, I can clearly see your mother doing just that, lol. Wishing you a beautiful weekend my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I always enjoy your memories and answers. Yeah I am a Food Critic. LOL YOu know I remember burying my dead gold fish in a pint jar of water out in our front yard. at 4 years old.
    This was good as always. Love from NC

    ReplyDelete
  19. Enjoyed your answers. Fascinating about the man from Tuscany...that could be a book..The man from Tuscany. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's so interesting about the order of courses in an Italian meal but when it's actually called an "entree" it totally makes sense! Now I'm questioning why we call it that when it's NOT first! LOL
    Sounds like your mother took her responsibility to raise you right seriously, and did a good job. :-)
    Really enjoyed all your answers, especially the random thought, which is a good way to start the day. Hope you're having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  21. We have a similar story - first grade - recess and pouring rain - students were supposed to stay in the auditorium - not me - I and another went outside a played in the rain - got caught - teacher yelled - scared the beejeebies out of me - I ran home to my Momma. Momma wasn't happy, the next morning she marched me into that school house and made me apologize to the teacher. Then I wasn't happy. I'll take a couple of white chocolate macadamia cookies, sure will be good with my coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  22. White Chocolate Macadamia Nut is the greatest of all time. Amazing choice.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!